PDA

View Full Version : THAI AIRWAYS set to sell four A345 aircraft

ZFT
14th Mar 2007, 01:34
This extract from today’s Nation newspaper.

Thai Airways International (THAI) plans to sell four A340-500 aircraft to South African Airways.
A source at THAI said three of the aircraft were operating on the Bangkok-New York route and that the other one would be delivered by next month.
The source did not disclose the price details of selling the four aircraft but said it would be about the same as buying new ones.
"THAI's executive board members are expected to make a final decision about the sale today," said the source.
The purchase of the A340-500s was made by former THAI chairman Thanong Bidaya as part of a five-year plan to expand the airline's long-haul routes, including New York.
THAI has been operating the Bangkok-New York route since 2005. However, the route has been operating on a very low load factor, due to poor demand.
The source estimated the airline had already lost up to Bt5 billion from the New York route.

GlueBall
14th Mar 2007, 09:03
There's plenty demand between BKK and JFK, it's just that few people delight in having to sit in an airplane for 17 hours and 17 minutes.

B772
16th Mar 2007, 10:30
The A345 is a flop. The B777-200LR can carry 25 more pax, 12 more tonnes of cargo and burn 20% less fuel than the A345 between BKK and JFK.

Both Air Canada and Singapore Airlines have been unhappy with the A345. The A346 is not much better with Emirates cancelling a large order due to payload/range and performance issues.

ZFT
16th Mar 2007, 13:08
You are missing the point. No one wants to pay the premium for non stop travel.

Having flown the BKK - LAX - BKK route and spending 15 & 18+ hrs 'trapped' in a seat, I couldn't care less what bl**dy airframe it was.

Long haul, non stop can only succeed if it's cheaper!

I suspect most pax are the same.

B772
16th Mar 2007, 14:57
ZFT, You have shot yourself in the foot. You claim long haul nonstop (from Bangkok) can only succeed if it is cheaper. Well TG loose $120,000 on every JFK flight due to high A345 costs. Solution is to get a more efficient aircraft with lower costs. The route is then viable for the TG market.

Obviously you do not know how many nonstops there are each day throughout the world in excess of 14-15 hours. These nonstops are preferred by the high yield punters. A good example is SQ who fill their SIN-JFK nonstop with high yielders. The overflow and low yielders travel SIN-FRA-JFK.

AC start YYR-SYD-YYR nonstops soon and QF expect to start SYD-LHR-SYD nonstops within 3 years.

ZFT
16th Mar 2007, 22:47
I’m not sure I understand why have I shot myself in the foot?

I totally agree that the solution is to get more efficient aircraft with lower costs. (especially for North American routes due fare structure) and the A345 certainly doesn’t fit into that category but being a long haul ‘high yield punter’ myself, I’m not prepared to pay the premium that is demanded for non stop and from TGs’ experiences here, I’m not alone.

I can’t comment on SQ although I understood that even their non stopper wasn’t the success they anticipated?

There is a real difference between 14 hrs and 18 hrs stuck in a seat and until there’s an inducement in terms of price and improved comfort, IMO these ultra long sectors are not going to attract adequate punters.

Panama Jack
16th Mar 2007, 23:03
AC start YYR-SYD-YYR nonstops soon and QF expect to start SYD-LHR-SYD nonstops within 3 years.
Today 13:08

Goose Bay- Sydney- Goose Bay nonstop???

Is there that much demand???

B772
17th Mar 2007, 10:12
Panama Jack. Nice Pick-up. I should have referred to YVR-SYD-YVR.

B772
17th Mar 2007, 10:23
ZFT. You may be aware TG are having second thoughts about the A380. The final decision does not have to be made until 30 June 2007.

It is true SQ are not happy with their A345 operation. So SQ did not ditch the A345's in a similar manner to their ditched A343's Airbus struck a deal binding SQ to the A345. The deal is a combination of A345 subsidies and giveaway prices on the A380.

ZFT
17th Mar 2007, 10:30
B772

I think TG have now committed to the A380 with a deal on (8) A333s.

WRT to ultra long haul – I actually think we may both saying the same thing but in different ways!