PDA

View Full Version : RAAF C-130 arrives at CBR with Deceased

Flyingblind
13th Mar 2007, 22:49
Not to sure if this is the right place for my question, so feel free to move it please Mods.

The bodies of those Australians killed in the Garuda crash have just arrived here in Canberra in a C-130, my question is, why are their bodies transported in a RAAF Herc? why not charter/RPT? is it standard protocal for Aussies killed overseas to have their remains repatriated as such? as far as i know they were not military personal serving their country.

It is a honest question that i'm just curious to know the answer to, no disrespect to those that were killed or to their familys intended.

Jnr380
16th Mar 2007, 02:56
FB

I think its the fact of the status that 3 out of the 5 held in the public sector.

2 x AFP anti terror agents
1 x Aus Embassy spokesperson

The other 2 were working in the private sector.

And in response the C130 was already there but i think its flight back to darwin got cancelled so i guess they decided to put it to use.

Captain Sand Dune
16th Mar 2007, 06:59
The bodies of those Australians killed in the Garuda crash have just arrived here in Canberra in a C-130, my question is, why are their bodies transported in a RAAF Herc? why not charter/RPT? is it standard protocal for Aussies killed overseas to have their remains repatriated as such? as far as i know they were not military personal serving their country

Does it make a bl**dy difference?! I don't think they were going to complain about the in-flight entertainment now, where they?!

The priority was to get the bodies back to Oz ASAP. Imagine the uproar if the C-130 was not used.:hmm:

Buster Hyman
16th Mar 2007, 09:16
I think its a fair question, that's been answered as such Capt. I must admit though (with all due respect), I always thought you draped a coffin with the nations flag for servicemen/women and dignitaries only.

Perhaps just a misconception on my part?:confused: (not a complaint though)

VH-XXX
16th Mar 2007, 10:25
They were federal police officers, so they get the flag.

Australia helped out with medical assistance etc because they knew the Indo's were inadequate. That involved a team of medics going over in Herc, so why not backload.

control snatch
16th Mar 2007, 14:10
What a dumb question