PDA

View Full Version : J1 eligibility if CPL holder

chester2005
13th Mar 2007, 09:33
I have just spent 2 hours searching the forums but cannot find a definitive answer to the question;

If you are a CPL(H) holder does that make you ineligible for a J1 visa in the USA for a CPL(A) course??

There seems to be a difference of opinion over the last couple of years, but has anyone been is this situation??

Thanks in advance

Chester:ok:

BaronG
13th Mar 2007, 10:53
I doubt it. If you look at the definition of a J1 visa it doesn't talk about any prior training precluding you from taking more. There may be some limit on the J1 program run by a particular school I suppose, but in my case, the US Immigration guys didn't ask about my experience and qualifications at all....

However, the schools that provide the J1 do so on the basis that they have a captive customer ready to drop a lot of money on them. In your situation, the school may feel that an ab initio CPL(A) is worth more than a CPL(H) conversion, and therefore not wish to sponsor a J1 for you - they'd probably be happy with an M1 though.
Best thing is to talk with school(s) in question.
BG.

i4iq
13th Mar 2007, 17:21
Shouldn't be a problem. You can get a J1 from 0-CFII for both - as long as the school supports it, you should be fine.

Stringfellow Dork
6th Apr 2007, 18:25
Just came across this thread and recalled I had read the below.

HAI website states (contrary to the above 2 posts):

The J-1 Visa is available only for "untrained" helicopter pilots. The Department of State, which oversees J-1 Visas, considers Helicopter Commercial Certificates in other countries as proof of a trained pilot. If you hold a helicopter commercial certificate or higher (whether it is an FAA certificate or one from another country) you can not receive a J-1. You can, however, apply for the M Visa if you have a Commercial.

Might not be specifically relevant any more but it might help some one...

whirlydude
6th Apr 2007, 19:32
I would think not . To apply for a J1 you have to have less than 110 total time and i think no higher than a private pilot lincense . I have seen this on the another aviation forum last year . You could email http://www.hillsboroaviation.com/page.asp?id=287 or http://www.heli.com/ someone will know .

i4iq
6th Apr 2007, 20:24
The original question was to do the CPL (A) after having the (H).

It has been done several times. I don't think they are supposed to allow you to get a J-1 for further Helicopter training - although I have heard of this happening in the past too.

Stringfellow Dork
7th Apr 2007, 01:52
The original question was to do the CPL (A) after having the (H).

Valid point, well made.

Yeah I missed the A and subsequently can't help anyone...

:ok:

chester2005
7th Apr 2007, 04:20
I spoke with Hillsboro Aviation and was told in no uncertain terms that anyone with more than 50 hours past a private licence is ineligible for a J1 visa.

So that counts me out.

Have to try a H2B visa route for temporary work visa.
A H1B visa requires a college degree at least so thats no good either.

Anyone had any success at this????

Chester :ok:

ToTall
7th Apr 2007, 06:25
Chester2005
U can get a J1 visa to do ur CPL-A at any J1 schools so if Hillsboro told u not they are incorrect as fare as I know.
I know that Hillsboro has had guys first doing their CPL-H then working till the end of their visa and going back applying for J1 to do their CPL-A.

Good luck:ok:

i4iq
7th Apr 2007, 17:28
chester2005

Whoever you spoke to up there was wrong. As far as I recall, they have even supported J1's for others in a similar situation to yourself.

Rushes
8th Apr 2007, 08:02
Chester2005,

The other option is to say nothing, if they dont ask and you dont say then where's the harm.....

You are applying for a J1 for a CPL(A) after all...

R