PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from the Eynsham, Oxon area

Captb747
13th Mar 2007, 09:18
Hello everybody,

Is there anyone out there from the Eynsham are in Oxon. If so I need your help with the River Thames and Pub locations if possibel......:ok:

Sedbergh
14th Mar 2007, 20:03
I'm from near Eynsham - but am in Guyana for the next 2 weeks! :confused: What's the question?

Captb747
14th Mar 2007, 21:50
Hi there and thank you for replying. I am also going to be a bit vague right now but here goes...... I am going on a stag do on a narrow boat on the Thames and we are picking the boat up from a marina in Eynsham. The question is, are there any pubs along the river in or very near Eynsham where we could more up as one person cant make it up till late........Typical.:ugh:

Sedbergh
15th Mar 2007, 12:49
Hi Cap

firstly the Eynsham Marina isn't in Eynsham! It's about a mile down the B4044 towards Oxford at the edge of a village called Farmoor.

If you look at a map of the area, you will see that the Thames does about a 90 degree turn at Farmoor and nearly touches the B4044. That's where you'll find the marina.

About 1/2 mile downstream from the marina (in the general direction of Eynsham) there's a toll bridge & lock at Swinford, which consists of about 3 houses and a pub. I can't remember its name, and have never been in it, bit WTH it's a pub. Park the boat near the lock and walk about 400 metres towards Eynsham & you'll find it.

There are more pubs in Eynsham but nothing in Farmoor

have a good one.:ok:

Captb747
15th Mar 2007, 15:06
Hi Sedbergh,

Thats exaclty what I was looking for. :ok: And thank you for the info about the marina.

You are quite right. A pub is a pub and I shall sample its ales to the best of my ability....:}

Take care

Cap

squeaker
27th Mar 2007, 14:27
Hi there
Try the Rose Revived at Newbridge (where the river is crossed by the A415 Witney-Abingdon road)
If you're going towards Oxford, the well known Trout Inn at Godstow (as seen on Inspector Morse etc). Mooring available between the lock and the ruined Abbey, and if it is too busy there, you're only a 15 minute walk back along the river to the Perch (not good for mooring along that stretch though).
All of these will be busy around lunchtime so best pitch up early to get moored nearby.
The bridge at Godstow can be a bit tight, so watch the paintwork, especially after a few pints of Speckled Hen!
Have a good one, all this talk of beer/pubs has made me thirsty, and I'm on Standby till 11pm!!!!

XH175
29th Mar 2007, 14:10
The pub at Swinford Lock is called the Talbot.

Does damn fine grub. Charles is the son who runs the kitchen

Regards
Ross

Captb747
30th Mar 2007, 06:39
Well, stag do was last weekend and apaqrt from a very long and hard to control boat (70ft of rigid steel :} ) a good time was had by all.

XH175... It is indeed the Talbot and ended up spending most of Friday there. Ale nice Food nice and staff and Landlord nice.

Thanks to all of you who gave me the names of pubs etc etc. You certainly helped. :ok:

Sedbergh
30th Mar 2007, 07:23
Hi cap
glad you had a good one and the Talbot was :ok: Agree entirely about narrowboat piloting - did a 57 foot one for a week on the Llangollen canal the other year & that was dodgy enough. God knows what 70 feet must be like! :uhoh:

Captb747
30th Mar 2007, 08:29
Hi Sedbergh,

A bit like this..............taking a right hand bend with full defelction on the rudder, full power to the not so beast of an engine and we still got pushed into a bank by the wind.......

Still it makes for some good story telling and p*ss taking.:p

kevmusic
16th Apr 2007, 13:02
Anyone know the Xwind limits for a 70-foot narrowboat? :)

BOAC
16th Apr 2007, 20:36
With or without winglets................?

merlinxx
17th Apr 2007, 06:05
No prob 10 pints of Hen & fart into wind, works a treat for the best mooring as well. Would the winglets have to be painted red with flowers on?

kevmusic
17th Apr 2007, 08:31
"No prob 10 pints of Hen & fart into wind" .........er, shouldn't that be, "fart downwind"?