PDA

View Full Version : Tiger vs Silk Air vs Royal Brunei

wandrinabout
12th Mar 2007, 19:48
Greetings

I am looking for some opinions on the merits of Tiger/Silk/Brunei. I've spent time with the search function and have a bit of an idea, but would be interested to hear from the "boys on the ground"

I'm 320 rated with a couple of thousand on type, F/o.

Just weighing some possible options - tell me what you think.

Any insight much appreciated

CubaLibre
13th Mar 2007, 16:22
If you have any experience, dont even consider Silk Air. Minimum time in right hand seat is 2.5yrs before being considered for a command, and only if there are no Singaporeans available. Several FO's have paid their bonds out and left for other jobs. Thats not to mention the number of Captains that have left.
C.A. is due to go to court, since the management consider Silk pilots overpaid and are insisting on a pay cut (rest of Singapore gets a rise, pilots a cut).
FO's who pay rent are being shafted by the explosive rent increases in the last 18months. Its pretty horrific if you expect to stay in housing above the standard HDB.
Good Luck.

Mogas
14th Mar 2007, 01:46
wandrinabout (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=20740)

where are you from and what airline do/did you work for?

wandrinabout
14th Mar 2007, 12:54
Cubalibre

Thanks for taking the time to post that. appreciated.

C.A. is due to go to court,

Who/what is C.A.? Mangement?

Would it be fair to say then that cost of living, particularly rent, has outsripped the Silkair package?

Metro man
15th Mar 2007, 05:55
Tiger will get you good pay and a quick upgrade, downside being you will work like a dog (1000hrs/yr )and it is low cost so no crew meals/overnights etc. 3-5 years will get you a lot of experience and some money in the bank if you are carefull. Then move on as DEC in a full service airline.

With 2000 hrs on type Qatar/Ethiad/Emirates would also look at you if the sandpit is your thing.

B772
16th Mar 2007, 02:05
There are whispers the A319/320 fleet at Royal Brunei may be replaced by Boeings

CubaLibre
16th Mar 2007, 15:22
C.A. Contract Agreement (terms and conditions).
The cost of living is definately on the rise. The rents are outrageous in the way that they are going up (we're talking up to 50% in some cases). Of course you could live further out, but that would be a personal choice.
If you have children and want to send them to an international school, you're looking at some extreme numbers.
Both the other operators offer a better deal, and rumoured to be getting an increase in the near future.
Good Luck.