PDA

View Full Version : Been to Bankstown lately....?

Wombat35
12th Mar 2007, 18:36
Popped across the ditch on the weekend and went out to the old man's hanger at Bankstown..... WOW those are some REALLY big buildings VERY close to the threshold being built.

I was quite surprised that they would be given the go ahead given the turbulence over the threshold given a Northerly.

What's the story, were any studies done about the flight safety aspects?

Lacma
12th Mar 2007, 21:55
The Government will probably say there were. But I wonder what will happen if god forbid someone loses an engine on Departure from 11 L or C diverges left and hits a building killing people on the ground, can you imagine what comes next?? Some knob from some political party "It's a tragic accident and we can't risk more accidents of this type so the buildings are going to be torn down so aircraft have a safe area to put down..." not effing likely! It'll be more like "With a tragic accident like this it's a stark reminder of just how dangerous light aircraft are and that we should reconsider the purpose of this airport and it's use by light aircraft..."!

Bula
12th Mar 2007, 23:17
I was having a look too the other month at the construction. I would be surprised if it meet the tranverse splay requirements of a licensed aerodrome. If its does... well yeah that aint right

das Uber Soldat
12th Mar 2007, 23:52
literally the day after they put up the new fence around the runways (and its pretty bloody close now), a C152 crashed straight into it. 1 day.

Sooner or later someone is going to punch a big tecnam/cessna sized hole into that toll hanger. I think its ridiculous.

Flyingblind
13th Mar 2007, 02:02
I've heard a whisper that studies have been completed and technicaly it all fits in with todays guidlines, but under the current culture of 'if KSA/Mac bank can do it so can we' free for all, it will take some unfortunate soul to plough through a warehouse/factory to start the finger pointing and phone calls to lawyers to start a rethink of what an airport/aerodromes surrounding land is actuly used for.

But of course the :mad:'s that have allowed this and other developments to progress will be long gone on nice fat pensions.

Lacma
13th Mar 2007, 03:33
Well I won't deny it I sure as 5hit won't be voting the Liberal's back in at a Federal level after all this, but then again in Sydney I wonder how much Frank "Let's sell off Sydney" Sartor had to do with the whole approval process, it would have been "State Significant" and it's my understanding that that being the case the Local Government Area doesn't get too much of a say in it, so we've been screwed over by the Liberal's at a Federal level for selling it all off and probably by the Labor party at a State level for seeing it all get through the approvals processes unhindered.

Scion
14th Mar 2007, 08:31
Because the aerodrome is still owned Federally the owners are technically only leasing the land on a 99 year lease. Thus I do not think they are under any obligation to have council approval or state approval to do anything. They are in a void it would seem.

It would help if any who read this thread would write to the Minister of Aviation with their concerns and particularly as I have done to Mr Byron , head of CASA as they are the safety authority. There will be a sadness in Bankstown and I pray it will not be me or any of my close friends.

Clare Prop
14th Mar 2007, 11:26
"so we've been screwed over by the Liberal's at a Federal level for selling it all off"

Nope, this is a legacy from Keating's time. Can't blame Little Johnny for this.

States and local councils have no say in what happens on the federally owned airports allowing these developers to bypass normal planning requirements. eg , the brickworks at Perth airport, and the destruction of the bush at Janakot airport - which wouldn't have been allowed by the State government. However it will be the States and councils who will end up paying for a lot of the infrastucture leading into the federal land, with zero return. all bucks will be in the offshore accounts of the developers.

Read Hansard house of reps from 1st March re. amendments to the Airports Act, the tide may be turning....

Bankstownboy
15th Mar 2007, 05:52
Driving home past the airport today, they're now selling off even MORE land on the northern side on Marion Street now. That said, you couldn't really land a plane in the spot they're selling off now given the trees, but it'll be even worse with more buildings there...

Alex 009
15th Mar 2007, 06:30
Looks like the new Toll hangar will make for interesting turbulence on final for 29. Lets hope nothing serious happens with an inexperienced Student Pilot.

Capt Wally
15th Mar 2007, 11:36
.............have a look at EN sometime if you want to see change, it used to be an airport !!!!..................now that 'industry' ( if you can call it that anymore) is almost secondary to the goings on, even a proposed boom gate for the crossing of vehicles & aircraft !....................Vic Rds & Air Services..................interesting combination, tolls perhaps ?:-)

...................................ahhhh the good 'ole days when small boys (& girls) could simply go the airport, leave their bikes with the carpark attendant & go watch planes for hrs on the observation deck without seeing a DFO or multi story office building with cooooey ! :-), still I guees it's called progress !

Capt Wally, reminiscing:-)