PDA

View Full Version : V1air ?

gb777
12th Mar 2007, 17:29
If this story is true we should review the V1 definition....
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=54382
Indonesia airliner aborts take-off -- report
Agence France-Presse
Last updated 09:23pm (Mla time) 03/12/2007
JAKARTA -- An Indonesian plane had to abort take-off on Monday after rising into the air for just six seconds, a passenger who was on board told local radio.
"We climbed a little bit, but not very high," the passenger, identified as Leon, told ElShinta radio. "It lasted only six seconds."
He added there was some panic in the passenger jet.
Indonesia is still reeling after a Garuda Indonesia airliner crash-landed last week and erupted in flames, killing 21 people.
Nobody was reported hurt in the latest incident, which involved a Boeing 737 operated by Batavia Airways.
It was meant to be flying to Indonesia's capital, Jakarta, from Palangkaraya airport on Borneo island some 870 kilometers (540 miles) to the northeast.
The plane was parked at the airport and a spokesman for the airline said he needed more time to explain what happened, the report said.
There have been a string of transport accidents in Indonesia in recent months, the worst of which have killed hundreds of people in total and highlighted the country's blighted safety record.
The tragedies have shaken confidence in the archipelago nation of 17,000 islands, which relies heavily on air and sea links.

PK-KAR
12th Mar 2007, 18:44
Although something is VERY likely to have happened...
Palangkaraya is 2100m...

If we assume a TOW of 48-49 tons, it'll give flap 5 V speeds of:
V1 135, Vr 137, V2 143...

6 seconds in the air at V2 = 441 meters
Stopping distance at Max man Brakes at 140Kts = 850m
So, it took off and became airborne at...
2100-441-850 = 809 meters? :eek:

How likely is that? :rolleyes:

And that didn't take into account vertical displacements and inherrent lateral displacements caused by making those 180 turns on the runway ends.

If its 6 secs after brake release, then that's a different story...

Sometimes pax witness statements just make me wonder... :ugh:

PK-KAR

PK-KAR
12th Mar 2007, 19:33
Well, just a quick call to inquire on what happened...

Aircraft was never airborne. Flames/sparks were seen on the right sight and the pax became nervous. They aborted the take off regardless of pax nervous/laughing/screaming... "good" call.

PK-KAR

Gulf News
16th Mar 2007, 08:34
Not saying that this is what happened in this case but it has happened before.

Date of Accident: 13 June 1996
Airline: Garuda Indonesia
Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30

Flight Number: 865
Fatalities: 3:275
MSN: 46685
Line Number: 284
Engine Manufacturer: General Electric
Engine Model: CF6-50C
Year of Delivery: 1979
Accident Description: The aircraft overran the runway after the pilots aborted takeoff beyond V1 speed. The no.3 engine fuel line was punctured, leading to a massive fire.

DCS99
16th Mar 2007, 10:24
My wife was working there at the time:

First down the slides - came all the cabin crew.

lomapaseo
16th Mar 2007, 12:49
My wife was working there at the time:

First down the slides - came all the cabin crew.

If the all were true I would have some serious concerns about the state of training.

However, I would not at all be concerned, but instead comforted, if the first down the slide was a member of the cabin crew, so as to assist other passengers to clear the bottom of the slide ASAP.

My concern is in the details, true or false:confused:

PK-KAR
16th Mar 2007, 13:30
This event has been confirmed as an aborted t/o and the aircraft never left the ground!

Gulfnews,
There's a caveat in the manuals... "aborting take off after V1 should not be done except for when you are certain that safe flight cannot be attained/achieved."

Now, whether the GA@FUK case is that, the pilots claimed such... but then, it was in 96,,, a period of our greatest national dishonesty.