PDA

View Full Version : Biman Bangladesh blocking runway in DXB 12 March '07 (New Hot Rumour included!)

southflyer
12th Mar 2007, 04:31
So, who was it that blocked the runway at DXB this morning?

SLFDXB
12th Mar 2007, 04:36
Got up early this morning (goes against the grain!) to catch GF051 to Bahrain for a trade show, got my obligatory Starbucks Venti Mocha Frappucino and handed over my boarding pass ready for the flight, only to be told 10 minutes later that the airport was now closed and delays were to be expected of up to 5 hours. :uhoh:

The GF groundstaff handled the Pax well :D and I decided to clear off and try again later.

Anyone got any info at all?

krisgnair
12th Mar 2007, 04:40
Many European connections have been cancelled. It seems that the aircraft had a nose gear problem. Waiting for more news on this!!!

W.O.Bentley
12th Mar 2007, 04:49
Can't confirm the callsign but a/c had nose wheel colapse on takeoff. extent of injuries/damage unknown. before we left night shift it was estimated 12hrs till clear.

was working in the acc at the time and have to pass on a BIG thanks to all the app/twr folks for their help with the diversions. going to be a messy morning as all the UAE airports are nearing capacity.

neilb767
12th Mar 2007, 05:32
Biman Aircraft, did an RTO, not sure what type of aircraft or why or extent of damage.

Radio reports 14 injured our of about 250+ on board, aircraft off the runway in the sand.

Radio reports also happened at 06:30, and DXB closed till about 14:00.

biggles39
12th Mar 2007, 05:49
Morning all,

This is S2-ADE operating BG006 to Dhaka.

No doubt a busy day for all !!

Cheers

Biggles 39

vbrules
12th Mar 2007, 06:00
After the recent fog and now this I would be willing to place a small wager that the powers that be dictate that the 2nd runway WILL be open within 2 weeks from today.:ok:

Wiley
12th Mar 2007, 06:05
And I'll bet the bloke who made the decision to have all EK flights inbound to DXB carry 60 minutes holding is getting a few slaps on the back at EGHQ this morning!!!

Gulfstreamaviator
12th Mar 2007, 06:15
It was the take off gear....!!!!! not the landing gear.....get your facts right....glf

ironbutt57
12th Mar 2007, 06:35
He must have popped the clutch and stripped the splines...or is it an automatic transmission on the take-off gear??:} :p

AirNoServicesAustralia
12th Mar 2007, 06:44
Ok everyone play nice this afternoon when Dubai opens again, cos I'm working the Afternoon shift in the ACC just in time for all the flights to come back all at the same time. All I can say is carry lots of fuel, and maybe an extra crossword, cos there is gonna be lots of holding. Yippee I can't wait! :\

P.S To all the Aussies flying for Emirates and Gulf Air, there are lots of Aussies who work in the Centre so chances are no, it isn't Stew :ok:

donpizmeov
12th Mar 2007, 06:49
Must be Frank then. And leave Foxy outa it!!!!:}

Don

AirNoServicesAustralia
12th Mar 2007, 07:17
And yes I have to admit I have been called far worse.

Back to the thread sorry, any update on the expected time of reopening? I would ring work for an update but worried they may be working like a one armed paper hanger right now, and probably short staffed to boot.:ouch:

SLFDXB
12th Mar 2007, 07:20
"Civil Defence sources said that two of the aircraft's engines were on fire as the plane was about to take off, resulting in one of the wheels breaking on the plane." according to Gulf News. :rolleyes:

It looks like I'll be starting my journey tomorrow morning as GF have advised that the flight has been rescheduled until 20:00 hrs (maybe).

If the runway has been cleared during the course of the day, what are the chances that all the flights will be back on schedule tomorrow morning? Or is that one of those unanswerable questions?

Kamelchaser
12th Mar 2007, 07:21
"Civil Defence sources said that two of the aircraft's engines were on fire as the plane was about to take off, resulting in one of the wheels breaking on the plane."

Stunningly good reporting from Gulf News on line.

AirNoServicesAustralia
12th Mar 2007, 07:26
Not that it reveals much new, but taken from The Scotsman (dunno why they are the first to report it??? But hey thats what Google News search came up with).
Dubai airport closure after plane accident
DUBAI (Reuters) - Dubai airport, a major international hub, will be closed for at least eight hours on Monday after a Biman Bangladesh Airlines aircraft was involved in an accident while trying to take off, officials said.
Thirteen people were slightly injured in the accident. The plane was carrying 236 passengers and crew. No details of what caused the accident were immediately available.
"Biman Bangladesh Airlines flight BG006 flying from Dubai to Dhaka had a minor accident during take-off," the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority said in a statement. "Now the airport will be closed for 8 hours minimum to ensure the runway is safe to use."
It said all the passengers and crew had been evacuated from the plane.

As far as SLFDXB's question, I am guessing we will have a whopping big holding pattern at both DESDI and BUBIN all afternoon that will run into the usual holding patterns at 11pm tonight. To handle this we will probably have to put spacing on departures from other airports within the region that are bound for Dubai. Add to this that all the departures are stuck on the ground as well, and I would say my answer to your question of whether schedules will be back to normal by tomorrow, is NO. But hey it all depends how tight we are allowed to run them in this afternoon.

Below is a photo and article from Daijiworld.com (??? Some Indian news website I guess).
http://www.daijiworld.com/images1/031207_news_air-2.jpg
Bangladesh’s Biman Airlines Flight 006 was taking off at 6:30 a.m. Monday when a “small incident” occurred that caused the takeoff to be aborted and the plane halted on the runway, said the airport official, speaking on customary condition of anonymity.
Fourteen injured passengers were taken to a hospital and the plane was quickly evacuated, the official said.
The plane was travelling to the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka.
A Dubai government-owned radio station said the Middle East’s busiest airport would be closed for as long as 12 hours and asked travellers to phone their airlines for more information. Incoming flights were being diverted elsewhere.
Dubai airport’s Web site offered no information, but its arrivals and departures page listed flights as delayed or cancelled.

Alpha 6
12th Mar 2007, 07:32
Good thing no one's badly hurt...

But there goes the flying hours:\

CEP
12th Mar 2007, 08:26
Tower controller saw that the right engine was on fire as the BBC006 rolled down RWY12L, passing abm M5. RTO, nose gear collapsed, a/c slewed left and came to rest at the threshold of 30R. Some tyre remnants apparently found abm M3.
Bangladesh’s Biman Airlines Flight 006 was taking off at 6:30 a.m. Monday when a “small incident” occurred that caused the takeoff to be aborted and the plane halted on the runway, said the airport official, speaking on customary condition of anonymity.

Small incident:yuk: - No, BIG one!!!!!!
Airport apparently supposed to open up around 2PM. Yeh, yeh.
Good luck to all you boys this afternoon, I think you will be working your butts off. DESDI and BUBIN to the fore again then.

flyingpuukko
12th Mar 2007, 08:59
thanks to bbc009 it's been easiest morning in obbi fic for a long time. luckily i won't be afternoon...:ok:

AirNoServicesAustralia
12th Mar 2007, 09:10
Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work I go ;)

Dct no speed
12th Mar 2007, 10:43
Round and Round and Round they go Bubin and Desdi hold,Round and Round and Round they go........

Maybe all the DCA staff with their extra pay Cheques can work this afternoon and all we SERCO staff sit this one out?:}
DNS

divingduck
12th Mar 2007, 11:50
You must be talking about Dubai:sad: Out of the UAE controllers (DESDI and BUBIN to your flying types) the Serco guys received the payrise, the GCAA have received nothing:mad:

Panama Jack
12th Mar 2007, 16:58
FlightGlobal has a good pic of of the disabled A-310 on the end of 12L.

Fortunately, looks like they stopped just before they went off the end.

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=16793

A Biman Bangladesh Airlines Airbus A310-300 has been involved in a take-off accident at Dubai International Airport, resulting in a temporary closure of the Gulf airport.

The A310 – one of four operated by the airline, according to Flight’s ACAS database – was operating a service to Dhaka. Some reports suggest the aircraft suffered a tyre burst and/or nose-gear collapse during its take-off roll. Pictures of the accident show that the aircraft appears to have come to rest at the far end of Runway 12L with its nose gear collapsed.

Biman Bangladesh says that its “flight BG006 from Dubai to Dhaka had an accident during departure and failed to take off around 06:30 today. All 236 passengers, including crew, are safe, and were immediately evacuated from the aircraft. Fourteen passengers sustained minor injuries.”
According to the Dubai Department of Civil Aviation, Dubai International Airport is undergoing “an 8h closure starting 06:30, March 12, 2007”.

Mogas
14th Mar 2007, 03:29
Did anyone here about the A310 that had a rejected T/O in Dubai? What happened?

Wizofoz
14th Mar 2007, 04:24
May have been some discussion about it...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267635

Mogas
14th Mar 2007, 04:40
Ahh Thanx Wizofoz.

Looks like the doctor forgot to check my eyes in the last medical!

THRCLB
14th Mar 2007, 08:21
here is a video from airport cam.
http://www.zippyvideos.com/4296883336764266/march_biman_air_footage/
:\

ruserious
14th Mar 2007, 13:05
Saw the CCTV video clip, quite impressive, aircraft running past the hangar on its nose at a great rate of knots

violate
20th Mar 2007, 05:15
Apparently, a Dragonair aircraft burst a tire just before Biman's takeoff (newspapers this morning). Anybody got more details?
Gone very quiet on this, Rumor has it that a Cargo 747 lost a wheel on the runway, Drogonair then clipped it on landing and burst a Tyre. They reported it to the Tower, but it seems that the Biman was cleared for take-off anyway, hit the wheel and collapsed the nosegear. By all accounts they did a good job getting it stopped.
The other rumor going around is that everybody from ATC has a gag order, as it might have been a local in control at the time.
There is no doubt the official investigation has to do its bit and take its time to find out all the facts. But, I hope this is not another bury-your-head in the sand moment
Maybe one of your ATC chaps like to comment or correct any crap above