PDA

View Full Version : Qantas 'plans move offshore'

lowerlobe
11th Mar 2007, 22:37
Qantas 'plans move offshore'

QANTAS may be preparing to shift key parts of its maintenance operations to Asia - even before the proposed $11 billion takeover by Airline Partners Australia goes through.
A submission by the Australian Licenced Aircraft Engineers Association to a Senate committee examining the proposed takeover warns that Qantas is already considering a maintenance shift offshore.
Qantas was unavailable for comment last night.
The association's members are responsible for maintaining Qantas' unrivalled safety record, but have alerted the committee to recent internal Qantas ads offering relocation and jobs in Asia. ??"We consider that the likelihood of Qantas accepting this option (regarding offshore maintenance) is high," the submission states. ??"Today information was received . . . that Qantas has started advertising internally for engineers and aircraft planners (who plan aircraft maintenance work) to move to Asia. ??"The advert includes: 'The Qantas Group is expanding and exploring new growth options and this means an exciting opportunity for staff to work for us in Asia!' " ??The engineers' association warns that moving maintenance operations offshore risks "compromising the safety of the Qantas fleet". ??Family First senator Steve Fielding said he was still determined to push for changes to the Qantas Sale Act, to keep Qantas Australian. ??He says the act does not include Jetstar, and wants the Senate committee to examine the sale and the proposed new owners' assurances. ??Last week Treasurer Peter Costello said a special legal deal had been agreed between the Government and the Macquarie Bank takeover consortium to guard against key parts of the airline being sold off.
This includes commitments designed to maintain the Australian character of Qantas, honour the airline's frequent flyer program, and ensure that it retained the bulk of its 40,000-strong workforce onshore.
Mr Costello said the commonwealth would insist that the deed of undertaking be observed. ??"The penalties for any breach of this deed will be that the Government can get legal injunctions against Qantas to enforce the deed," he said. ??"This deed of undertaking is probably the most extensive that I have ever seen from an Australian company."
But he conceded the Government's capacity to influence future decisions by the Qantas management could be hampered by market conditions. ??Association federal secretary Steve Purvinas said Mr Costello had "jumped the gun" in waving through the deal to shareholders last week and said the association had written to him with their concerns.

chemical alli
11th Mar 2007, 23:44
anyone have any clues to the staff vacancy alert at qf,regarding jobs in asia ? even the propaganda q news asks for those willing to apply for positions in asia to email people disconnect and they will reply in five weeks.
smells fishy /cant tell you what the conditions are, who for or even where.guess either gd and co have the game poles out with the drag set or j* asia might need rescueing,also rumor around that q has bought into vietnam airline and wants an overhaul

totally open to rumor and inuendo feel free

max autobrakes
12th Mar 2007, 10:40
What strength is there in the rumour that Cox is being asked serious questions by the Board about Qantas' ability to maintain capacity with a looming massive cockup over offshore D checks for a number of 744's in the Phillipines being knocked back by Lufthansa Technik.
Oh dear and Qantas doesn't have the capability or capacity since it shafted Heavy Maintainence. There's always Avalon HAHAHAHAHA.
Also is CASA looking into the last D check done up in Singapore,on a 744, it appears a number of important control cables that should have been replaced ,weren't!
How is Qantas supposed to maintain it's reputation of excellence if this penny pinching let's spend a dollar to save a cent mentality continues!:uhoh:

Crossbleed
12th Mar 2007, 11:09
Can't and won't. Austral(asia) is where y'all now are. Simple, sad, real. :p
:ouch: :zzz:

QF MAINT OUTSOURCED
12th Mar 2007, 19:54
rumor has it also that D check in singapore had some poor strutucal inspections done as well,inspections that would normally take 55 hrs were done in 8 hrs overnight,with no Qanats reps around,similiar inspections n Syd heavy maint would raise 150 defects,but this inspection found only 1 defect,sounds scary,but it is only a rumor

BHMvictim
13th Mar 2007, 01:22
I heard this very same rumor straight from the mouth of a QF rep that was there at the time.

Also heard that there were a heap of fuel checks carried out "overnight"..... virtually no fuel on board before tests.... same after tests.

Oh well, I suppose the price is right for Dicko and Co.

domo
13th Mar 2007, 02:02
This sort of information should be sent on to casa. all australian aircraft should be maintained to our standards who are signing the return to service slips

YesTAM
13th Mar 2007, 02:56
Domo: This sort of information should be sent on to casa. all australian aircraft should be maintained to our standards who are signing the return to service slips

Correction, the documentation will be maintained to our standards.

It will only be when the arcraft gets a due diligence check when its sold that the potential new owner will realise, on detailed examination of the aircraft, that the state of the aircraft dosn't match the documentation.

It used to be that Australian maintained aircraft commanded a premium in the second hand markets. I guess that won't happen any more - more lost value.

No SAR No Details
13th Mar 2007, 09:33
QF maintenance outsourced wrote "rumor has it also that D check in singapore had some poor strutucal inspections done as well,inspections that would normally take 55 hrs were done in 8 hrs overnight,with no Qanats reps around,similiar inspections n Syd heavy maint would raise 150 defects,but this inspection found only 1 defect,sounds scary,but it is only a rumor"

Qantas were quick to deny the Changi prisoner accusations (which have a lot of truth in them by the way) but they haven't denied any of the accusations of poor quality maintenance practices in singapore that were raised in the senate inquiry today. So I reckon that rumour is pretty much on the button.

There was no mention though of how the average worker at singapore gets a days work which is line up at the gate each morning, tool bag in one hand and papers in the other and see if they get lucky.

BHMvictim
13th Mar 2007, 12:15
....line up at the gate each morning, tool bag in one hand and papers in the other and see if they get lucky.

oooh.... if Dicko reads this he'll be straight on the phone to his little mate Johnny Howard to see what he can organise here in Australia.

YesTAM
13th Mar 2007, 17:57
As a child I remember seeing the dock workers line up outside the docks to see if they were lucky and got a days work. They were treated like disposable items. That was about 1955....

And you wonder why the dock workers were feral communists?

I guess casual hire of cabin crew is about the same thing.

Sorry....no work for you today.

lowerlobe
13th Mar 2007, 19:54
YesTAM...You have hit it on the head.....

I have always suspected that our PM has wanted to emulate Menzies.When you mentioned the workers lining up for work outside the docks in 1955 it made me realise who our PM was in 1955 !!!!!

He talks about mateship but has been instrumental in creating division in the Australian population and workforce with his IR laws.

I was very happy last night to see the latest polls with his satisfaction rate going south even further.When he was interviewed in Tokyo he said he could not understand why?

The most surprising part of all of this is that I was once a life long Liberal voter....Not any more !!!!!!!!!!!!

domo
13th Mar 2007, 23:11
Mr David Cox in the australian
He accused the union of trying to deflect attention from a program to change uncompetitive work practices in Qantas's Australian maintenance operations

whats all that about?
came from left field

LME-400
14th Mar 2007, 05:22
Mr David Cox of QANTAS is an excellent 'spin doctor'.

So glad it was QANTAS who got these guys a job.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/sacked-qantas-workers-get-energy-boost/2006/09/16/1158334734745.html