PDA

View Full Version : BA Miles

FormerFlyer
11th Mar 2007, 10:44
I've tried Ask BA but the auto response was not appropriate & I've yet to receive a proper human response (5 days later :rolleyes: ), so was wondering if anyone here knows the answer to my Q: Can I use my BA Miles to get a redemption ticket for myself and someone else who isn't in Exec Club?

Just can't find the answer on the website - hope someone here knows!

cheers ;)
FF

Miraz
11th Mar 2007, 10:48
Yes - just call the Exec club to make the booking

flybywire
11th Mar 2007, 10:49
From BA.com - Executive Club terms and conditions:

13. REDEEMING MILEAGE
13.1. Awards will be issued to any name requested and mailed only to the preferred mailing address of the Member. In some countries Members may be required to collect Awards from designated places. Awards for travel on British Airways flights are subject to the General Conditions of Carriage for Passengers and Baggage. Awards for travel on Airline Partner flights are subject to the relevant terms and conditions of the Airline Partner.

13.2. Requests and bookings relating to Awards (including Service Partner Awards) may be made online at ba.com or through the Member's local service centre in accordance with such procedures that may be in force from time to time for the issue of Awards, as set out on ba.com. Award bookings can only be requested by the Member who holds the account or an individual nominated in accordance with Clause 3.13. Members should allow 3-4 weeks for Service Partner requests to be processed. Awards will only be sent to the Member's preferred mailing address.

13.3. Infants (less than 2 years of age) travelling with a Member on a flight Award will travel for ten percent of the Mileage required for the Member's flight Award if they do not have their own seat. Children (2 years of age or older) and infants who require their own seat will be "charged" the full Mileage for the relevant destination.

13.4. Bookings for Award travel must be made no later than 10 days prior to the intended time of departure where a paper ticket is issued (the applicable regional booking requirements are set out on ba.com) and no later than 24 hours prior to the intended time of departure where an e-ticket is issued. Bookings which do not comply with these requirements may be subject to a charge as specified on ba.com.

13.5. Award tickets will be issued at the same time as the booking is made. In some countries Award tickets may have to be collected from designated places.

13.6. E-tickets in respect of Award travel will be issued for travel on all routes where possible. Where a member chooses a paper ticket on an eligible route a charge, as specified on ba.com, will be applied

13.7. One way tickets can be issued as Awards on British Airways flights at 50% of the Mileage required for a return journey to the same destination. Open tickets cannot be issued as Awards.

13.8. There are no charges for stopovers included in an Award itinerary. Where stopovers are at connecting points on the most direct route between origin and destination.

13.9. For return journeys, outbound and return flights must be booked at the same time. Travel to one destination from a point of origin and returning from another city to the same point of origin (or vice versa) is permitted.

13.10. Award bookings are subject to availability and cannot be waitlisted. Award bookings may be made up to 355 days prior to departure, during this period, as a minimum, British Airways makes some seats available for Award bookings on all routes operated by British Airways on some flights in each direction for each week of operation throughout the year. The total number of seats available for Award bookings will vary from route to route and from week to week depending on commercial demand. Award bookings on an Airline Partner are subject to the availability determined by the Airline Partner. Members are advised to make Award bookings well in advance of the date of travel however British Airways cannot guarantee that a Member will be able to make an Award booking on any specific flight regardless of the time of booking.

13.11. Awards for travel will only be issued to and from destinations served by British Airways and/or Airline Partners designated at the time the ticket is issued and also at the time the ticket is used. The most direct routing must be taken.

13.12. Awards are based on round trip travel between origin and destination using the most direct route possible. Awards may be for more than one flight sector. On no more than one occasion per Award may a flight sector commence at a different point from the end of the preceding flight sector. It is possible to combine flights on British Airways and Service Partner airlines to make a round trip journey of up to a maximum of 8 sectors.

13.13. Members will be charged a fee as specified on ba.com for tickets they have lost.

13.14. Members will be liable for all taxes and other charges associated with Award travel on British Airways or a Service Partner airline, including without limitation, airport departure tax, customs fines, immigration fees, airport charges, customer user fees, fuel surcharges, agricultural inspection fees, security and insurance surcharge or other incidental fees or taxes charged by any person or relevant authority or body. If required to do so, British Airways will provide any relevant fiscal authorities with full details of any persons in receipt of Awards. Any liabilities that arise as a result of the submission of these details, or from a direct notification by a Member, shall be the personal liability of the Member concerned and shall not be borne or paid by British Airways.

13.15. Award tickets are subject to IATA fare construction rules. Journeys may start and end in different cities within the same country, or in different countries, providing the distance between start and end points is not greater than the distance of any of the flown sectors of Award travel. Outbound journeys may terminate in a different city to the start point of the return journey, or, in the case of journeys involving more than two sectors, a different city to the start point of the next sector, providing that, either the two cities are in the same country, or the two cities are in different countries and the flown distance between them is not greater than the flown distance of any of the flown sectors at Award travel.

13.16. All Award travel must be completed within 12 months of the date of ticket issue.

Hope this helps

FormerFlyer
11th Mar 2007, 10:53
Goodness - you 2 are super fast!! :D

Clearly I still don't know how to navigate round ba.com :ugh: No doubt they'll charge a fee for an offline booking but hey, it means I can take some friends away - just a shame I hadn't figured this last week when the 50% off sale was happening:(

cheers ;)
FF

manintheback
11th Mar 2007, 11:40
In theory yes, in practice - depends when, where and class. It can be really frustrating trying to book flights a year in advance to popular destinations and there being no amiles availablity.

Miraz
11th Mar 2007, 12:10
If you are calling remember that you can use other oneworld partner airlines and premium classes - you might well find that other partner carriers have better availability.

I have upwards of 1.3 million BA miles sitting in my account and it is nigh on impossible to use them on the main BA services from SYD.

It also helps if you are a bit creative with your route selection - for example I have taken to doing SYD-JNB-LHR-NRT-SYD in preference to the BKK/HKG/SIN direct flights as the availability is usually better - and I get to my target time zone at least ten hours earlier :cool:

Where/when are you trying to go?

FormerFlyer
11th Mar 2007, 13:22
....just had human response from AskBA.

As I've got a household a/c they say I can only book tix for me & the others in the a/c :{ Oh well, when it comes to it I'll give them a buzz to see what they say.

cheers ;)
FF

PS: Miraz, if you want me to join your household a/c and help you burn those miles I'll be more than happy to :E :E

Miraz
11th Mar 2007, 13:36
Nice try :cool:

The worrying thing is that I haven't earned any BA miles since I moved out to Australia four years ago and I've been to Europe in club 7 or 8 times on miles alone since then....let just say I was a regular customer when I lived in the UK - over 200 flights a year

ISTR that there was a thread a few months ago discussing if 100 Atlantic crossings a year was a record for pilots - I have a funny feeling I did that as a pax a few years ago and around 30-40 of those would have been above than FL500 :)

The_Banking_Scot
11th Mar 2007, 18:39
Hi,

Unfortunately as you have a Household account you can only spend miles on the mebers of the household account.

You could get your friend attached to the Household account , make the booking then six months later delete your friend from your household ( I think only 1 change is allowed in six months)

Regards

TBS

RealFish
12th Mar 2007, 22:25
Miraz, aren't you in serious danger of loosing your miles ? Don't BA delete them after a number of years inactivity ? Get yerself on an internal QF flight asap and present your BA card.

Miraz
12th Mar 2007, 23:29
I am doing 4-6 flights a week with QF at the moment - I do keep enough turn over on the various accounts that I have to keep them current by juggling the frequent flyer cards around a bit - usually only 3-4 flights a year.

smith
15th Mar 2007, 00:52
I just booked for me and a friend to go LON-IAH no problem online. Just book number of passengers and then add their name. Simple.

FormerFlyer
16th Mar 2007, 00:44
shame but it doesn't give me an option to choose no of pax when using BAMiles as redemption booking.

cheers;)
ff

smith
17th Mar 2007, 15:04
are you talking about airmiles or BA executive club?

If BA executive club

go to BA.com

login to executive club

Scroll down to "book flights using miles"

make booking

asks number of passengers

continue

choose flights etc

then add names of passengers, my friend was not a BA exec meber and booked him no problem.

I have a feeling you are talking about airmiles rather than BA miles.

FormerFlyer
19th Mar 2007, 01:49
thanks for all those instructions but as I said....it doesn't give me option for number of pax. And yes it def is BAMiles & not AirMiles....not used the latter old things for years & years....well since BAMiles came along anyway!

Must be something to do with me having a household a/c

cheers ;)
FF

flybywire
19th Mar 2007, 08:09
You're correct FF, if you have a household account you can only buy a ticket for anyone in your account. Not very nice I know, but there's always a catch in these things....household accounts let you collect miles quicker but then you can only use them for yourself and the people who are nominated in the account. Not nice....I hope it will change!

PAXboy
21st Mar 2007, 13:56
The Miles are transferred, any status miles fall away. Typically, if there is no activity on the account for three years, then Miles start to 'age out' but mine is always active so I don't see that.