PDA

View Full Version : (EK) Misery love company...

Marooned
10th Mar 2007, 13:42
‘Misery Loves Company’ Fleet ‘Facts’..

In recent article in the company newsletter we read an attempt by Dr H of the human factors department to explain away the growing discontent within the company. It refers to this ‘negativity’ as a ‘virulent flu bug mutating as it spreads to take on a new, and more vicious life form’. Continuing the analogy then perhaps we should consider the cause rather than the symptom.

The article itself is an acknowledgment that there is growing discontent within the company. However the intent of the article is to infer the discontent, the virus, is essentially imagined and not real. The fact that we have the ideal climate within the company for such a virus to spread so rapidly and effectively should be the real cause for concern. That he draws the conclusion that it is a few who are to blame, the cup half full malcontents with nothing else to do but moan, is to ignore the more fundamental & complex situation… but then perhaps he is paid to do so. That he should also lecture us on understanding the limitations either political or financial of our senior managers to address the issues he relinquishes them of any responsibility of doing anything about it.

The article also says that ‘the plight of the disgruntled worker is as old as work itself’… well so is the tendency of employers to exploit its employees. Dr H displays his ignorance of fundamental changes in lifestyle, working practices and erosion of terms and conditions that may have led to the disgruntled workers he mentions.

Whilst he does acknowledge that there are two sides to every story he fails again to acknowledge the lack of interaction and information given by the company on ‘their side’ to ‘our side’. The imposition of DECs and the restrictions placed on fleet transfers were two examples of issues handled particularly badly with no consultation by the ‘other side of the story’ with those who would be directly and adversely affected by the policies imposed except for the official yellow letter to say it will happen regardless of what we think anyway.

So what is Dr Hs advice to us all in the front line from the comfort of his desk? Ignore the problems as they don’t really exist and if someone says something different, someone who may have been here longer with more experience of ‘the Emirates way’ or someone who has been directly affected by increased fatigue, policy changes… simply go and have some controlled rest and the unhappiness bug won’t contaminate you.

The real human factors issue is the way EK as a company has handled the expansion and the crass and insensitive man-management they use either by ignorance or design. It is this mismanagement that has created an environment for the ‘virus’ of negativity to flourish. This is a real problem, not an imagined one, and one that does not simply go away with some ‘controlled rest’.

Here is another quote to be pompously submitted for consideration: ‘I too am determined to be cheerful and happy, despite the situation I find myself in, for I have learned from experience that Emirates will not do anything to improve my happiness but continues to create misery because it is they who directly affect my circumstances’.

If misery does love company it will never be lonely in EK.

L1011
10th Mar 2007, 13:56
Were the good doctor a pilot, he would know that us aviators are perpetual moaners. Inspiring articles in the Pravda of aviation will not stop that.
Actually even a 50% payraise is unlikely to completely halt the whinging.
Would love to see the company try it though :}

disconnected
10th Mar 2007, 20:25
Dr. H should really do his homework. Recent studies have shown that one of the most common reasons for employment related stress is the employees' perception that he/she is not valued or appreciated. The studies rate this stress as particularly high. Naturally this leads to the negativity that abounds.

Employess are either Engaged (the most productive and innovative) Unengaged (goes to work does the job and no more) or Disengaged (Causes problems in the workplace) In a negative environment the Unengaged carries on with his job unfortunately the Engaged switches to Disengaged and causes problems.

In its formative years Emirates sought out and recruited the most Engaged types it could find for the pilot workforce. They did it well, however recent changes have left many switching to the Disengaged. This translates to poor management of the Engaged or a corporate switch to desiring only the Unengaged and having to deal with the fallout from the Engaged.

If the problem is so large that it warrants an article from the HF Manager, believe management should look to the root of the problem and avoid it at this level rather than try to trap or mitigate it in the flight deck.

I refer the good doctor to recent papers in the Harvard Business Review. I believe it is issued to various departments and articles are often on the company e-learning site. Various Corporate, University and Government Websites also have very credible information on the subject.

Thylakoid
10th Mar 2007, 22:20
Wow, things are getting worse:}

I have been here for a loong time and what I suspect is that the Arabs wanted a big airline, you know, status, ego, whatever. The problem is that they didn't have the expertise and handed it over to some foreigners to run the show. The problem is that these foreigners know crap about running an airline. They all try their magic formulas to stay within the tight budget allocated to them to expand the airline. The Sheikhs want big businesses, but in the cheap and it doesn't work that way.

At the same time, as somebody said earlier, they already got all the "engaged" pilots they could find. There are no more!
Bad luck also struck, whereas many airlines decided to expand at the same time.
Therefore, the disenchantment will continue. Low quality pilots are coming in, trickling in I should say. bad rosters, fatigue will continue. They are losing it guys.

I am just being realistic. You cannot set up a large company without doing your homework, hiring the right amount of good quality personnel well ahead of time.
:E

Marooned
11th Mar 2007, 07:52
On reflection you may be right about the intent of the article. It is however a little naive to expect that the problems of the company will not be aired in some form on the flight deck...

The virus will keep spreading until the company comes up with an effective antidote... but it doesn't seem to be trying at all to find one.

Perhaps they should take their collective fingers off of transmit and start receiving.