PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances of getting a job? (Thinly-disguised personal ads)

ToiletDucky
11th Feb 2007, 00:22
I currently do initial flight training for the airforce at Laughlin AFB in Del Rio Tx. I have 1800hrs or so TT with 140multi of which 60 or 70 is twin turboprop. I'm 24yrs old soon to be 25 years old. I currently hold com-multi/CFI/CFII. All FAA licenses.

What jobs do you think I could qualify for if location is not an issue?

redsnail
11th Feb 2007, 08:36
The world's your oyster.
When speaking to your prospective employer, see if they have some form of structured training/recurrent programme. If your instructing quals allow it, you can do initial twin checks, set up initial training/induct programmes for new pilots etc. Naturally, you'll want to gain some experience within the company first before rewriting their ops manual but it's worth selling yourself that way if you haven't thought of it before.

ToiletDucky
11th Feb 2007, 19:27
lol my oyster huh? Thanks for the response. What type of company are you referring to? Could you give an example? I'm trying to think outside the box!

Finals19
15th Feb 2007, 19:11
The world's your oyster

Just as long as you don't want to fly in Europe or certain Asian carriers where a JAA ATPL is required. In order to do that you would have to sit the full JAA ATPL conversion.

PicMas
15th Feb 2007, 19:36
The way I understand your question is:
What kind of jobs (apart from the one I'm currently doing) would be a possibility?
In that case, are you legal to work in the US? If yes, seems all the commuters are hiring like crazy. You may land a SIC position in some corporate outfit.
if no, you meet FAA 14CFR part 135 IFR requirements (if you have the XC, night etc.) I was in your situation, with less twin time, and got a job in the Caribbean flying light twins in a charter company, that would definitely be a viable option.
Again, if no, PanAm Beijing hire a lot of instructors, I might stress that this option is strictly if you REALLY mean that "location is not an issue". This would mean working in China, think long and hard before comitting to a contract there.
MFA in Malaysia are also looking for instructors, I worked there but can honestly say that it is absolutely the worst cr@p I have ever had to take.
You can log all the SE time you want, but with your TT is that really what you want?
Again, without knowing your specific situation it's difficult to assess the possibilities.
Feel free to PM if you want the skinny on these places.
Happy hunting
MAS

HappyBandit
28th Feb 2007, 01:08
Hey

Does anyone know of any airline flying jets in the world that would have a look in on someone that has approximately 250 hours TT, an Australian CPL with multi endoresement and if I were to complete my MECIR and ATPL subjects before I applied?

I've heard some of the American and European airlines take pilots with straight CPL on. Anyone know what the goss is on this?

:)

HappyBandit
28th Feb 2007, 03:18
Ha ha cool. So there is a chance then :)

Deano777
28th Feb 2007, 07:32
How can you fly with an airline without a MEIR? if anyone out there knows of any such airline please enlighten us, imagine that, you would be down to single pilot ops on an instrument approach, the chart gives an RVR of 550mtrs but you are limited to 800mtrs, I have no idea how the FAA system works but this seems too impractical to be valid in JAR land

thepotato232
28th Feb 2007, 17:46
Nobody, nowhere is going to hire you until you get your ME and IFR certificates in order. Even here in the States, that's the bare minimum for getting started.

The company I work for now has hired pilots at times as low as the 300-400 hr range (like me), but they generally bring their own type rating to the table, or have worked for the company as baggage handlers and have impressed the line pilots with their hard work and professionalism. But we fly turboprops - nobody on the planet is going to hand you a big ol' jet until you're well ahead of where you are now. Any compelling reason you can't finish up your MECIR?

cfwake
28th Feb 2007, 18:21
guys i think that's probably why the guy said " and if i complete my MECIR and ATPL subjects before I applied"?!

allatp
5th Mar 2007, 03:03
Hello.
How do you all see the possibilities of a Hispanic pilot, with 6,000 hours TT, and 900 hours PIC, all in Dash 8, worldwide?
I would really appreciate any pointers!!
P.S. I'm current in the DHC8.
Thanks,
AA

potatowings
7th Mar 2007, 18:02
I've heard some of the American and European airlines take pilots with straight CPL on. Anyone know what the goss is on this?

You are right, and I know some Oz pilots who work in the UK and Europe, however unless you have a JAR licence, you will struggle, and also there are people getting jobs on the heavy jets with just 250 hrs, however, and it is a big however.

Alot of them have trained at Oxford, lot's of them have gone through the CTC wings scheme, and the rest generally have been incredibly lucky. If you want to get a european job, you will most likely need in excess of 1000 hrs, plus the right to live and work within the EU, for example a British grandparent or parent.

If you fancy your chances as a 250 hr pilot in the UK, consider the cost of converting to JAA and also consider the 100's of other pilots at the 250 hr level looking for work that you'll be competing against in a foreign land.

There's lots of work to be had in the carribean and places like that or parachute dropping, sight seeing etc...

I would seriously recommend looking at your options when it comes to this.

In short, for the vast majority, there is no short cut to the big jets. Consider corporare aviation too. Great fun, although the requirements are often higher than the airlines.

AllInGoodTime
9th Mar 2007, 03:30
potatowings or anyone

What is the UK market like for an Aussie with total 1000 hrs (750 cmd hrs),
70 Twin, ME-CIR.

If Lic was changed to JAA, what are the prospects like for these sort of hours.

Jonocrawshaw
9th Mar 2007, 04:50
Hi there Potato,
Im over here in Kiwi land (new Zealand) any idea how we convert our licenses and ratings to the US?:confused::confused: pretty keen to come and have a look. Is it expensive?:eek:

sir.pratt
9th Mar 2007, 05:41
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

pilot_navigator
10th Mar 2007, 01:42
Hey everybody !
I'm from Europe
I'm a CPL ME IFR FAA / CANADIAN 300 hours total
Right now working in Canada as an instructor, building my time.
I'm planning to convert my license to Jar return to Europe after a year with 1000 hours total 50 multi.
Do I have any hope to find a job in the european airlines line easyjet ryanair and etc.?
What do you guys think and suggest.
Will really appriciate your comments.

pilot_navigator

PosClimb
10th Mar 2007, 22:31
I need some advice too..

FAA and CDN (CPL Multi Engine Instrument).

No US work rights.

Bachelors degree if that even matters.
Int'l work experience.

TT: 273

Married two kids.

Got the money to do a lot of things.

Looking for a long term FO position. With a family, I'm not interested in jumping around from job to job.