PDA

View Full Version : Second Interview?

YKnot
9th Mar 2007, 22:13
What would be the chances of getting a second interview with Cathay? I was unsuccessful on the first round, and want to re-apply. Does Cathay re-interview people or not?

YKnot

Betsy & Nikki
9th Mar 2007, 23:47
Sorry to hear that you were not successful YKnot. To answer your question, I know of a couple of people who were unsuccessful on their first attempt however they did apply again (after around a year of waiting) and were offered another interview. They now work for CX.

Is anybody going to HKG in late April for the second stage DESO?

cpdude
10th Mar 2007, 00:03
YKnot,

Try to self-analyse why you were not hired and make improvements. The standard waiting period is one year and apply again with a good cover letter which spells out improvements made. IE. Sell yourself!

I know of a DEFO guy that was third time lucky. He waited just over a year the first time and almost 3 years the second.

Good luck.;)

doubleu-anker
12th Mar 2007, 20:57
Why would you want to put yourself through it again? If you were not good enough for them the first time why would you be be good enough in a subsquent attempt. Why would you want to hang around? Move on I say as there are plenty of jobs going at the moment if you have a proper license.

air_up_there
12th Mar 2007, 21:12
Maybe he feels he's improved since the last time. Come on!! Why else?!?!?

sizematters
13th Mar 2007, 00:09
well, perhaps when he is smart enough to figure out that posts like his belong on the "Wannabe" forum, it will be time to re-apply ??

air_up_there
13th Mar 2007, 00:25
YKnot,

You'll have to excuse the few morons on this forum. Most everyone tries to be helpful. Good luck with your second interview. I hope all goes well for you.

EEEdog
13th Mar 2007, 02:21
Yknot, I can say from personal experience that you should try again. I did, and am starting later on this year. Good luck, and be prepared to answer the question of why you didn't think you were successful the 1st time and learn from past experience.
Hope this helps out.
EEEdog

nolimitholdem
13th Mar 2007, 05:41
I was unsucessful my first time, interviewing for SO. Got past the first interview in YYZ but not HKG.

Years later I was invited back for another chance, this time for DEFO. But I turned them down, had a better job already. Funny how your perspective changes.

They didn't even reply to my correspondence declining the interview. Classy. Although I suppose it helped to affirm my decision! :ok:

doubleu-anker is correct...I would move on. Cathay is a good job, but not so exceptional anymore you should get tunnel vision. Tremendous amounts of opportunity at the moment worldwide and if you are competitive enough to be considered at Cathay you certainly don't have to settle for pursuing only Cathay.

YKnot
15th Mar 2007, 19:26
To all who responded, thanks. I appreciate the criticism as well as the well wishes. I will re-apply though. When you're coming from where I'm coming from, most jobs would be a "step up".

Fly Safe!

Cheers,
YKnot

Numero Crunchero
19th Mar 2007, 11:30
yknot,
there is a psychological name for what I will try to describe but I can't for the life of me remember what it is called. Simply put, if you dont get something you want you create the opposite view of it in your own mind. If a girl you like says no or dumps you, you decide she was a biatch and that she wasnt worthy of you anyway.

Not too many people handle rejection from an airline. I have seen a few friends get knocked back from CX. Their egos battered, they decided never to apply again. Even if CX recruitment had responded to nolimitholdem it wouldn't have changed his view. He would just be a little more smug in accepting his second choice career.

yknot, there are lots of reasons why people get knocked back. Often it is age vs experience...late starters have lots of catching up to do. Or just too inexperienced in the first place. Personality wise we all change over time so sometimes we can't see any difference but suddenly we get accepted.

Unless it was made clear to you never to reapply, reapply.
Good luck!

nolimitholdem
19th Mar 2007, 11:46
Numero Cruncher,

A valiant swing and a miss at the point of my post. Of course he should re-apply, I did, and was offered another chance. In my case, the timing of things was such it would have been foolhardy to decline a firm job offer at a comparable carrier than to risk the low-percentage CX interview process.

It is only hindsight that offers the complete perspective. As it turns out my circumstances were fortuitous. I believe the term you are reaching for is as simple as "validation". And yes, though I was "forced" to decline the CX interview the second time, it was the unprofessional handling of my correspondence that did tend to validate my decision. I did not "create" this opposite view of things, Cathay HR did it all by themselves! :D

As I stated earlier to the guy wanting advice: by all means reapply. But don't limit yourself to Cathay. Find the place that is the best "fit" for you - you might just be surprised where that is. If you read through the Stinky Harbour forums you will see there are many who thought it would be a good fit, now reconsidering.

Numero Crunchero
19th Mar 2007, 18:23
nolimitholdem,
I am guilty of prejudice. I assumed you were one of the many disenfranchised. Your response indicates otherwise. I apologise!

It is highly unusual on this site to have such a considered response. I appreciate it and more importantly, I hope yknot appreciates it as CX is one of his potential career options.

The best option for everyone depends on nationality, experience, age, etc etc. Bottom line, make the most of whatever you do. Just remember you were happy before this job, you will be happy in this job, and you will be happy after this job!

YKNOT, you now have some relevant, objective viewpoints!

YKnot
20th Mar 2007, 02:42
Again, thanks for the replys.

I'll be re-applying, but I'll have to wait a few more months, though keeping all options open.

Cheers,
YKnot