PDA

View Full Version : Will Multi Engine Hour requirement drop?

AllInGoodTime
9th Mar 2007, 03:12
Does anyone think it is likely that with the growth in demand for pilots, that airlines, Domestic and Regional are going to have to drop their Min Hour requirements and in particular the Multi Engine hour requirement?

DeltaSix
9th Mar 2007, 03:27
Hi AIGT,

Don't know in Australia but Asia has already dropped the ME requirement.

Look at my thread regarding MPLs. CASA is already developing this.

It's only a matter of time before they drop it. Good news for you if your aim is the airline.

D6

AllInGoodTime
9th Mar 2007, 03:32
Thanks DeltaSix

Do you know which airlines in Asia have dropped their ME Requ.

DeltaSix
9th Mar 2007, 07:24
Almost all of them......

I've seen Second Officers in A330 hired after only 1,000 hours in singles.

In addition, requirement is only single engine IFR.

Don't know if QF will follow but this is now the trend. Take for example the
B777. It has a system called TAC ( Thrust Assymetric Compensator ). This is what you mostly train for in ME and this aircraft will do it for you.

D6

neville_nobody
9th Mar 2007, 07:56
Australia doesn't have multi engine requirements for High Capacity RPT it's just that Virgin & Jetstar stipulate that because they can get people with the experience. For regionals unless CASA rewrite the CAO's nothing much is going to change there either. Did hear first hand at a CASA talk that there was no way that the CAO's will be changed to adjust the multi requirement however just look at what they did to the ATPL so anything is possible.

scramjet
10th Mar 2007, 09:53
Isnt this why ICAO are producing a Multi-Pilot license? You wont even need PIC hours.

There is a bio I read recently about a pilot who started flying before WWII in the US and retired on the B747

It was stated that over his career there were times when pilots where getting hired with a bare commercial and there were times when pilots couldnt get a job with thousands of hours experience. Things change constantly in Aviation.

Do a good job, be professional, and be ready for any opportunity that comes up. Figuring out what to say when you have an interview booked is too late. You need to know how to handle interviews before you get the call.

:)

Inbound On Descent
10th Mar 2007, 11:15
...what did they do to the ATPL ?

neville_nobody
10th Mar 2007, 12:35
ATPL command hours were once 500, probably too low at that if you think about it. However CASA in their infinite wisdom dropped it to 100!!! Any CASA boffins care to justify how on earth that came about??

DeltaSix
10th Mar 2007, 22:39
Neville,

When you say 100 command hours, what did you mean by that ?... sorry mate, just a bit confused. I thought 1,500 hours TT is the requirement.

Thanks

D6

VH DSJ
10th Mar 2007, 23:02
When you say 100 command hours, what did you mean by that ?... sorry mate, just a bit confused. I thought 1,500 hours TT is the requirement.
I'm not Neville, but will chip in. Of the 1500 TT, 100 hours must be in command.
BTW, since you already have your ATPL as stated in your profile, I'm surprised that you're confused by that.

DeltaSix
10th Mar 2007, 23:09
Oh that !!! :}
That's why I said, I got confused..... I thought he meant the total time.

I had a long night. I think I need to get some sleep... :zzz:

Cloud Cutter
11th Mar 2007, 22:30
I'd say the reason for dropping to 100 hours command is so you can go from a CPL, direct into the right seat of something with a right seat, and get a command without having to go back and waste time hour building in a 152. Makes sense.