PDA

View Full Version : UK AAIB March 2007

Hilico
8th Mar 2007, 16:33
A bad month for trees:

R22 engine 'splutters' during low-speed climb-out, force-lands into trees - carb ice?

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/sites/aaib/publications/bulletins/march_2007/robinson_r22_beta__g_oliz.cfm

R44 waits on ground until fog clears but enters low cloud soon after departure, hits trees during landing in poor vis.

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/sites/aaib/publications/bulletins/march_2007/robinson_r44_raven__g_ggrh.cfm

And a Special Bulletin giving the current information on G-BLUN - http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/sites/aaib/publications/bulletins/march_2007/special_bulletin_s1_2007___aerospatiale_sa365n_dauphin_2__g_ blun.cfm

Martin1234
8th Mar 2007, 17:52
Poor trees. I wonder what the tree-huggers will say about this.

helicopter-redeye
8th Mar 2007, 18:05
Martin, if you read the report you will see the pilot cut the tops off the trees and increased his windsock height as a result of the accident. :ugh: :{ :=

All because of overpitching:p

As you say, poor trees - what did they ever do (at least they caught him/her)

thecontroller
8th Mar 2007, 18:16
MMm... re: the R44 'weather' crash. When you hear about these accidents, the tendency is to think "idiot, why take off in crap weather?", but reading the report I think most pilots would have deemed it ok to fly. just goes to show you can never be sure.

also, re: r22 crash. seems like every r22 pilots nightmare, loss of power at low speed/low height on climb out. could have been much worse.

helicopter-redeye
8th Mar 2007, 18:27
I've flown in that area at lot and it can be very deceptive weatherwise. - CAVOK to unflyable within 20 miles.

I think I met the pilot on Mull last year (there can't be that many R44's in Strathallen..) & he appeared a pretty sensible guy.

However both reports this month high light the trend of private pilots who go 'off field' early in their flying life time and lack the supervision mechanisms to challenge decisions and highlight potential risks before experience and/ or training has built up to a sufficient standard to prevent situations like this.

h-r;)

NB 1013 posts - I've reached pressure altitude

rotorspeed
9th Mar 2007, 08:12
thecontroller

Ref the R44 crash what on earth are you reading from the report that makes you think most pilots would have deemed it ok to fly?

The Prestwick weather 20 miles away was totally irrelevant. What mattered was the weather at the departure site. And that was so bad that just 2 miles away the pilot couldn't even see a hedge and line of trees on the ground, on trying to land!

VMC until 500ft?? Why climb further into cloud at 500ft? And why attempt a run-on landing anyway on ground you don't know, with diabolical visibility? Sounds more like a pretty miraculous escape (thank goodness) whilst effectively out of control in IMC.

Let's be honest, either a major pilot error was made in considering the weather ok for a departure or a major pilot error was made in deciding when and where to make a precautionary landing.