PDA

View Full Version : China - any kiwi or oz pilots??

knox
8th Mar 2007, 15:32
Hello
Just wondering if there are any kiwi or oz pilots working for any of the chinese airlines?
If so what are the requirements to get in?

Cheers

Knox

waav8r
8th Mar 2007, 16:31
If so - one would have to question whether the Chinese have any standards whatsoever....;)

pakeha-boy
8th Mar 2007, 21:43
knox ...have several mates (from kiwi) flying out of Shanghai....mixed reactions,but the money is good....go onto Rishworths Aviation site...plenty of work availble......need to be typed with time.....every fortnight they try to send me to Vietnam or China....plenty of work....

Gravox
8th Mar 2007, 21:50
I know of an Aussie about to start at EVA, he only had turboprop time and is taken on as a FO on an MD11F. Although the application form is around 20 pages. Apparently the pay isn't that good, but he'll be gaining some jet time.

404 Titan
8th Mar 2007, 22:43
Gravox

I wouldn’t tell the Taiwanese that Eva is a Chinese airline. They might just shoot you for saying that the next time you’re in Taipei.:eek: ;)

aircabbie
9th Mar 2007, 02:10
Based in Chendu ,China . Flew about a month ago between Chendu and Changzhou Pilot was Aussie , ex Singapore flying college instructor . He said there where 3 Aussies with in the Company .

Did not ask about mins ( bit beyond my league at the moment) sorry!

knox
9th Mar 2007, 03:56
Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming.

Knox

Crossbleed
9th Mar 2007, 16:40
Titan old boy,...the Taiwanese (ROC)consider themselves very much Chinese. In fact, the "real" Chinese, being the Nationalists who fled after their defeat in '48. What they don't dig is being referred to as the 30th province of the mainland.(PRC)
Plenty of Aussies woking in China.:ok: Both Chinas I mean.

haughtney1
9th Mar 2007, 18:37
Plenty of Ozzies EVERYBLOODYWHERE....:}

Where the money is OK..and the beer cheap, they will come:E

pakeha-boy
9th Mar 2007, 19:28
H1...possibly ...but beg to differ...I know one in CHC who,s "stued" about the working conditions and the cost of the brew....hed rather be working for "RYAN- air" .....I,m trying to arrange a position in china as we speak:}PB

404 Titan
9th Mar 2007, 19:57
Crossbleed

I think you know what I meant? The Taiwanese don’t consider any of their airlines part of the PRC. I think most reasonable people in the West would consider Taiwan as a separate country to China even though some countries and the UN don’t. As the question referred specifically to airlines in China, I and many would take that as meaning airlines in the PRC and not the ROC (Taiwan), hence my original post.

Crossbleed
9th Mar 2007, 23:18
Fair enough Titan me old sauce-bottle. Just showing off my vast regional knowledge and historical savvy. Right, back to the bar...:8

hoopdreams
10th Mar 2007, 05:38
Titan old boy,...the Taiwanese (ROC)consider themselves very much Chinese. In fact, the "real" Chinese, being the Nationalists who fled after their defeat in '48. What they don't dig is being referred to as the 30th province of the mainland.(PRC).

Actually now days a significant proportion of Taiwanese society (mainly younger generation) consider themselves NOT to be Chinese, rather as 'Taiwanese'. National identity in Taiwan has been quite a heated issue on the Taiwanese political front. The current leadership have been pushing to break away from the Chinese links and reinforcing Taiwanese national identity, as opposed to Kuomintang (Nationalist Party) and their old school supporters.

Crossbleed
10th Mar 2007, 09:07
Shoot, now I've done it. Someone who knows what they're talking about...
And a more corrupt, money grubbing bunch of ("democratic") politicians you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere...
Back on topic, if you are desperate for jet time and don't have any yet, try CI or BR. O/W anywhere else you can get is a better option.:ok:
Knox: general req.s are 1-2 thou total and if not 500 on type then some turbine time. They're all lowering their specs lately with regard to jet time. And losing pilots hand over fist, especially on the ROC, buyers market and all that now..

knox
10th Mar 2007, 14:12
Cheers Crossbleed.
Good info. Unfortunately i'm not up to scratch on the political arena in china, its never been my strong point.

Knox

jeffFP
18th Mar 2007, 13:50
Be very careful, very careful. If you go, only do so with an honest, well funded, straight shooting agencey that will give you referrences of expats already there. Preferrably on line now.......not going through certification. That can take 9 months in many cases. You must call them and get the truth. If it involves Fortune Pacific or TopFlight....FORGET IT. Been there done that. Many have as well and all are gone.

P.S. Do you speak Chinese? You are going to need to, because the Chinese definition of ICAO standards does not respect English as a primary language in the cockpit.
Sad but true.

Good luck, be safe.

joehunt
18th Mar 2007, 17:56
The Chinese are not the only people indulging in this dangerous practice of not recognising English as the agreed ICAO aviation language. The new master race of Europe the Fr.... and their Fr.... speaking hangers on, among others, also put national pride before safety. So nothing new there really.

lk978
19th Mar 2007, 00:22
Chinese.. is that a new language? i am only aware of Manderin (Most of China) and Cantonese (Northern areas + HK i think). So which one do they speak...:sad:

It's pretty amazing the taiwan situation, on all the information in china they do not recognise it as a country however 30% of its trade is done with taiwan...:confused:

The chinese people are not as bad as people think, ok there are benifits of being in the governemnt ($$$) but at least they get stuff done. with the one party controlling all levels of politics there is no bullsh*+ like what goes on in Australia.

They work on a philosphy of if you are a friend then all is good your business will be good.

Crossbleed
19th Mar 2007, 07:22
The chinese people are not as bad as people think,
No-one is saying the Chinese are "bad", just the management of their airlines. The vast majority of Chinese people will bend over backwards to be of assistance.
ok there are benifits of being in the governemnt ($$$)
Yep, that's called corruption, the phrase contains the word "endemic".
but at least they get stuff done.
If you're referring to the Olympic preparations, then I believe bulldozing thousands of homes and telling people to move it or lose it, is "getting things done", by your definition. HOWEVER,..Clean water, public health, sewerage systems and the like are a little behind Australia. Don't get me started about the "Aquaduct":E :ok: :(
with the one party controlling all levels of politics there is no bullsh*+ like what goes on in Australia.
That's the scariest thing you've said. It's all bull****, spin and sensorship. Exactly like Australia.:=
They work on a philosphy of if you are a friend then all is good your business will be good.
That isn't a philosophy, it's a nasty, self-defeating habit called graft.
BTW Cantonese is the southern dialect. Mandarin northern, although Mandarin is the only one taught in schools to everybody, and is the official language of China. The number of regional dialects are probably too numerous to count.

jeffFP
29th Mar 2007, 01:20
The people of China are actually the most wonderful aspect of the country. The politics and "red tap" are siffling to say the least. They are not ready, as a country, to deal with expat pilots.......and that is the politcs I speak of. I never meant anyone to take the comment as an insult to the people of China. The previous thread is "right on." Progress in China means the suffering of the general mass of citizens while the rich prosper. It's a sad, but, true situation.