PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Bases

EEEdog
8th Mar 2007, 02:10
Even though they are quite senior bases, are the Canadian bases (Vancouver and Toronto) permanent or temporary. I heard from someone that the bases are only renewed on 3 month intervals and people just hope they keep renewing the bases......any thoughts?
Thanks for the input.
Cheers,
EEEdog

mayday911
8th Mar 2007, 16:03
I believe that they are permanent bases. There are even a few B744F skippers based at both airports. I have heard (albeit second hand from the basing office) that YYZ will be the first NA basing for the 777.

Mayday.

cpdude
8th Mar 2007, 16:57
Bases are permanent unless the base itself is closed. Then a transfer to another AC type or base is usually offered.

The 744F based in YVR and YYZ are ASL. A completely different situation.:)

mayday911
9th Mar 2007, 16:55
I have flown with skippers from both YYZ and YVR that were ASL but made the switch to Cathay when offered the chance.

Mayday.

Penske
9th Mar 2007, 21:07
The openings in YVR are certainly not on the freighter. I believe that CPdude covers this with the use of the "F" in 744F.

cpdude
9th Mar 2007, 22:41
FCUX,

Do you realise that over 27% of your posts are dedicated to bashing me? Over 90% are bashing members on this forum.

Do you have ANYTHING to offer or are you just happy being a TROLL?:p

Cloud surfer
12th Mar 2007, 16:57
I'm getting close to having to make a decision whether to join or not (PAX).

Aiming to land a FO spot at YVR, joining now as a DESO, does the following timeline reflect a reality that current employees would agree with?

3-4 years as SO. Based in Hong Kong
1-2 years JFO based in Honk Kong
FO based Vancouver.

Total 4-6 years from join date to FO YVR? Could a similar timeline be applied to the European bases?

I know - I know - there are a lot of variables such as fleet expansion, training constrictions, route structure, aircraft configurations and base structure. But based on the current outlook, does this make sense?

And please spare me moral speech about one's motivation. Getting a Canadian base is a big one... probably the biggest for me. I'm sure the HK years will be great, but that's not why I'm joining.

cpdude
12th Mar 2007, 19:26
I think your timeline is very realistic and could possibly be shorter. Within 4-6 years YVR should be serviced by the 777 so timing could possibly be on your side for a YVR 777 base in 4 years.:)

CAN-NOT!!
13th Mar 2007, 03:46
CPdude wroteDo you realise that over 27% of your posts are dedicated to bashing me?

You're not going to run to momma now are ya? :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ You bash just about everyone else who is not as fond of Cathay Pacific as yourself.

cpdude
13th Mar 2007, 14:45
Some people have to learn to argue the point or message rather then trying to insult the messenger. If you have a different opinion then state it but don't try to elevate your point by insulting someone else.

You have your morals and I have mine!:ooh:

Nuf said!

CAN-NOT!!
13th Mar 2007, 14:52
CPdude wrote:
You have your morals and I have mine!

I believe you are a Cathay checker/trainer...in which case you got none!:eek: :eek:

energie
22nd May 2007, 07:09
3-4 years as SO. Based in Hong Kong
1-2 years JFO based in Honk Kong
FO based Vancouver.
Total 4-6 years from join date to FO YVR?

Is this still valid? I have done some searches on Canadian bases as a FO and this thread is the most relevant.
It doesn't seem like we have too many canadian CX folks here :(
I know that schedule for SOs are great, ~15 days off each mth. But how about the years as an FO? and more specifcially, FO with a Vancouver base.
Does anyone know what the roster is like for Vancouver based FOs? the only shorthauls is from YVR to JFK. other than that does that mean the roster will consist of flying back to the HK hub all the time?
Is it true that SOs are allowed to apply for temporary basing? How does that work and how often can that be requested in the 4ish years of being an SO?
In addition, how hard is it for an FO to get vancouver as his/her permanent base? How many pilots does CX have in Vancouver? With the 777 in the pipeline to service vancouver, is it safe to assume that vancouver base will be more available?
lots of questions i Know, but these are burning questions which i haven't been able to find answers for :(
cheers, and thanks in advance!
E

Five Green
22nd May 2007, 12:59
Energie :

Since no one seems to be helping I'll give it a shot !

Disclaimer : not canajan and basing answers on friends testimony.....

SOs cannot take permanent base.

SOs can take temp basings but no guarentee and YVR very hard to get but pilots commute from LA SFO. Can get 2,3,or 4 month temp bases. Bid in seniority and availability (company decides how many are needed)

time from joining to JFO is 41/2 - 5 years. JFO can take permanent base when base (of a/c type) available in seniority. Bases are filling up. YVR base will not grow but LA and SFO may do when 777 intro if frequency of flights increased. Bases will have turnover during expansion as FOs do command. Will stop for a long time if expansion stops. Vancouver may be last to change to 777 as -400 fits route all year. If on 777 and yvr still 400 ,permanent base no chance as not taking 777 pilots across 400 to anymore (not likely to change as 777 need will be high for awhile) . As for abseolute number of FOs in yvr that is top secret !! There is currently 744 and airbus in yvr. When airbus stops who knows ? Also the company uses yvr guys for LAX/SFO when needed so it is not a finite number. As for openings there were 12 ish earlier this year and that will reduce to 5 or six per year.

You can easily commute from a permanent LAX 0r SFO base to yvr.

FO hong kong based on 777 works 18-22 days per month (average) but do some day trips.
YVR FOs work 12-16 days and can do yvr-jfk alot.
typical month 2 LH (yvr HKG) and one jfk or 3 jfks and one LH.

Hope this helps.

FG

energie
22nd May 2007, 13:38
thanks for that. sounds like vancouver base isn't as easy to get as I thought

how often can SOs bid for temporary basing? I assume that that the 2-4 month terms are only allowed once a year IF they have room

As for openings there were 12 ish earlier this year and that will reduce to 5 or six per year.

That's a lot less than I thought. Can a FO be based in US if s/he does not have US residency? (i.e HK born or Canadian citizen only?)

thanks again!

jtr
22nd May 2007, 14:05
"I heard from someone that the bases are only renewed on 3 month intervals and people just hope they keep renewing the bases."

no, it is your employment that is one a 3 month renewable basis, the base just happens to go along with the job.

energie
23rd May 2007, 03:50
seriously, can you constantly renew temporary bases?

BusyB
23rd May 2007, 06:51
" seriously, can you constantly renew temporary bases? "
No, temp bases are requested and shared out ammongst applicants.:)

energie
24th May 2007, 01:50
thanks for that BusyB.

Any Canadian SO/FO on here???

Five Green
24th May 2007, 07:13
What,.. you don't like talking to us ? Don't believe a non canuck ? What extra could a canuck add ?

:) said in jest ! (no offence cousins)

FG

energie
24th May 2007, 12:18
no not at all! Thanks to your response I think I have a good idea that it's not as easy as I thought. I am hoping for some first hand information to tell me that it is in fact possible blabhlah :(

doesn't look like it from the sound of it tho...:S

Five Green
24th May 2007, 15:25
Energiee :

Well it abseolutely is possible. Just that the time frame cannot be guarenteed. If I made it look bleak my apologies. I am sure that once you spend you SO time in Hong Kong you can get a base somewhere in N. America and commute fairly easily (depends on your stress tolerence and family life). You can even commute from Hong Kong to N. America I know some who do !!! Not for me though as they look like walking death !

However if it is your goal to get to N America as fast as you can and stay there we might not be the company for you ?

Cheers

FG

badairsucker
24th May 2007, 15:54
Chaps,

If I was to take a base in YVR, how much tax would I have to pay???

Cheers.

cpdude
24th May 2007, 18:28
badairsucker,

Well, What is your complete income? You married? Kids? Wife work? Any other income? RRSP's? Interest? Expenses? Medical expenses? Donations? Etc. Etc. :bored:

energie
24th May 2007, 18:37
if you were to take a base in YVR, I believe you are actually resigned from CX and hired by a Canadian CX branch. This means that you would be subject to all canadian income tax. So all the points listed by cpdude are taken into consideration. But why would you want to take a YVR base anyway? it sucks. don't do that. go UK or something. stay away from YVR. Plus it's hard to get anyways. yuck. Have you heard a rumour that they are closing the YVR base? yeah so I would stay away...
FG: thanks for your response again. I guess that's the same for a lot of foreign pilots tho, UK folks will eventually want to move back to UK, NA folks would want to return to NA soon...

badairsucker
25th May 2007, 01:50
Thanks guys,

With the tax problems in the UK I am waiting to see if that problem sorts itself out.

Regarding the list above I am asking as the uk has a flat 40% tax for high income and then the above list will kick in regarding the final tax amount so I was wondering if there was a flat tax figure in Canada?

By the way, there are loads of FO vacancies for the YVR base at the mo.

energie
28th May 2007, 17:18
Oh I see. Canadian has a bracketed tax system so it's not a flat rate.

Check this out for more information:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individ...axrates-e.html

loads of FO vacancies? that's great to hear!