PDA

View Full Version : Arena Aviation - closed

VH-FTS
7th Mar 2007, 22:36
It appears yesterday Arena Aviation (once based at YBAF, then YRED) closed its doors for good. No doubt there will be mixed emotions posted about this...

I feel for the students who have potentially lost their money (paid upfront, rumoured not into a trust account) and the newbie instructors who no longer have jobs.

J430
7th Mar 2007, 23:17
That would seem to me to be a very sad day in local GA. Maybe its not, and there could be a good reason for it. I know for sure a viable operation rarely shuts down, (GOANA Air tours did though courtesy of DOTARS and ASICS) so one has to wonder if the move from YBAF yielded fewer students or was that an attempt to cut cost on a sinking ship.

Either way a sad ending to many folks jobs. On the other hand, of course it may yield many new opportunites, and I dare say it will.

Good luck to all affected.

J:ok:

VH-FTS
8th Mar 2007, 01:31
I believe the intial reason for moving to YRED was to reduce costs, but as you said couldn't stop a sinking ship.

WilliamOK
8th Mar 2007, 03:51
I thought Arena had a partnership with another flight training organisation at Archerfield... Maybe they amalgamated?

Ejector
8th Mar 2007, 04:13
Very Sad to the students who have lost money, I Am sure the owners still have lovely cars and homes.

Just another cas of what goes around, comes around.

For the instructors, at least the industry is very healthy for you get get placed quickly again. Look at charter.

jbr76
11th Mar 2007, 00:06
I am glad I jumped ship when I did, because at the time there were apparent signs of the ship taking on water .. It took about 8 months, countless phone calls/faxes/emails then intervention to finally get them to cough up my training records, which I think now poses a greater risk for students than the monetary side of things ... Without those training records, it may be extremely hard for students enrolling at a new establishment to resume training from their current segment in the syllabus .. I only hope that they do the right thing & transfer all progress records/training documents etc without too much delay.

Shame Arena shame := :*

Angle of Attack
11th Mar 2007, 14:02
Well it is sad as Air Training Centre or Arena as they have been recently known has indeed closed down. But I think the real issue is that Archerfield itself has ground to a halt, almost, its a ghost town compared to a few years ago! I went there recently a few months ago and there ws no one in the circuit! Last time I was there 8 years ago you needed a start Clearance to do circuits! This reduction in training has to have an effect and I'm guessing it will take a few years to bite but it's coming. Take heart flying staff from Arena! Go West! You'll be rewarded! ^^; :ok: Or south but I wouldnt recommend it the weather is crap!*!

Rich-Fine-Green
12th Mar 2007, 20:08
It is true that AF, BK and others are well down on numbers but I think the reasons are more than just airport specific. Yes, operating costs have skyrocketed but Arena's move to Redcliffe and subsequent closure prove that the company had more problems than just the operating costs at YBAF.

I see some midsize/big flight schools (like Arena) unable to evolve with changing times and by not changing fleets (Arena still had the same beat-up and high-time PA38s from the early 80's) and business direction - they are destined to fail.

Arena won't be the last midsize/big flight school to fail this year.

To their credit, some flight schools are buying new types (Tecnam, Cirrus and Diamond etc.), have changed their way of doing business and as a result are flying more than ever.

Schools that have new aircraft are seeing a huge increase in Private Students as well. The more well-heeled Citizens have no problem paying a premium for PPL training as long as they have nice new aircraft and quality instructors.

Also, there is now more career competition than ever before. The pool of local Commercial students is drying up as other professions look more attractive. The fact that HECS can fund a $100k degree and not an Aviation career doesn't help!.

In New Zealand, a similar scheme to HECS is possible for CPL students. Should the Australian govt. do the same?. In light of a possible future Pilot shortage, maybe a HECS type scheme, offering even partial funding, could be considered.

Kudos to the flight schools that are surviving and thriving.

No tears for the Aviation 'Dinosaurs' like Arena who can't see the writing on the wall.

Good Luck to the former Students and Staff of Arena. Hopefully, you all get your $$ refunded/paid out. You now have the opportunity to choose organisations with newer aircraft and a better business direction.

turnarounds
13th Mar 2007, 07:36
Arena were to be the launch customer for the Whitney Boomerang, strange as Mr Magoo was listed on the Whitney web site as a key staff member or director as I recall along with other Arena directors?

Karma perhaps?

Rigpiglet
13th Mar 2007, 08:39
It is a sad day indeed to see one of the long term GA ops close the hanger doors... However, could anyone not see this coming! I am pleased to say there are a few more operators I would like to see close their doors and leave GA for good. I really do hope for GA's sake that the operators that take care of their pilots and ground support staff are the ones left standing, sadly they're the ones that will go first....

Maybe GA is really struggling, as I do agree with one of the posts above, AF is now a ghost town compared to what it used to be years ago.

I only hope that the students that did their doe with Arena get it back and that the directors do the right thing...

Thats my two cents from a aviation nut that walk away from it all years ago and haven't looked back! :ok:

J430
13th Mar 2007, 08:48
What happened to the Boomerang? did it not come back??:eek:

J:ok:

Steve888
13th Mar 2007, 11:47
To Rigpiglet: "Has anyone got the latest news on HM's outfit at AF"

What's HM?

jbr76
13th Mar 2007, 19:52
What happened to the Boomerang? did it not come back?? :eek:
It was in the shape of a tomahawk, hence why it didnt come back :D :E

turnarounds
13th Mar 2007, 21:54
HM = Mr Faulty of Faulty Towers Aviation!

J430
14th Mar 2007, 01:00
jbr76

So do I take it the whole project is now dead?

J:(

Islander Jock
14th Mar 2007, 01:33
I doubt very much that the folding of Arena will mean the end of the Boomerang. THere is still one launch customer Australia although not in the numbers that Arena was going to buy. Also a lot of interest overseas in the aircraft.

Victim Air
14th Mar 2007, 02:44
jbr76, what sort of intervention eventually worked?
I ask, because my niece is in the same position. She's concerned that records may have been lost in the move to YRED. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there with the same difficulty.

Ricky Bobby
14th Mar 2007, 03:35
If Faulty Towers Aviation fell over at YBAF, then Archerfield is in more trouble than I thought. I would say he would be the LAST operator to close. There never seemed to be much PVT flying, but Griffith University ensures a steady supply of students. In my previous association with the company the aircraft were well maintained by their own maintenance arm and the instructors were always taken care of, thats why it takes them so long to leave :}

'Basil' is eccentric but he has a good CFI and he runs a tight ship.

TwoTango
14th Mar 2007, 08:59
An administration notice for Arena was in today's Courier-Mail:
The Courier Mail|14 March 2007
Corporations Act 2001
ARENA AVIATION PTY LTD
(ADMINISTRATOR APPOINTED)
A.C.N. 009 975 964
FORMERLY KNOWN AS "AIR
TRAINING CENTRE PTY LTD"
Section 450A(1)(b) - On 13 March
2007 Jonathan Paul McLeod of
McLeod & Partners was appointed
Administrator of the company.
Section 436E(3) - A first meeting of
creditors will be held at the offices of
McLeod & Partners, Level 3, 380
Queen Street, Brisbane on Tuesday,
20 March 2007 at 10:00 a.m.
Dated: 13 March 2007
J P McLeod
Voluntary Administrator

jbr76
14th Mar 2007, 09:39
what sort of intervention eventually worked?
I ask, because my niece is in the same position. She's concerned that records may have been lost in the move to YRED. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there with the same difficulty

PM me and we'll talk more :ok:

turnarounds
16th Mar 2007, 01:39
Agree 'Basil' does run a tight ship. Sure the aircraft are aging but well maintained in house.

Cost of operating at YBAF is well beyond a joke, I hear now the schools pay a landing fee for each touch and go?

YBAF is rapidly becoming a ghost town, in the past few years the following have dissapeared;

Archerfield Aircraft Maintenance
Aero Engine Overhaul
Aircraft Engineers Associates
Flying Fighters
Fliteline (NZ)
Ryan Aircraft Sales
Brisbane Aircraft Sales
Aerospray
Arena

Just to name a few ..........................

davyfella
16th Mar 2007, 03:49
I just accepted a job building those Boomerangs. I am going to be moving from Bombertown, Northern Ireland to Hicksville, Queesnland.

Do these (not quite)a Tomahawk have enough customers to warrant a move, Or should I stay here in Shorts?

Islander Jock
16th Mar 2007, 06:51
daveyfella,
check your PMs.

davyfella
16th Mar 2007, 14:20
Islander jock, replied to PM

Are you buying anymore or just the one?

Showmethemooney
17th Mar 2007, 12:39
As was said above, what goes around comes around.

I'd have to say word of mouth is one of the biggest tools in the GA industry. When I was ripped off by Arena's shonky package deals I must have told at least five or six potential students to look elsewhere for their training. Sooo what's that about $250,000 worth of lost revenue?

RIP Arena Aviation :D

Mr. Hat
25th Mar 2007, 11:38
so sad.....:O

cessna340
26th Mar 2007, 00:48
I had looked and spoken to the administrator to buy the company but they were not being very helpful. I made an offer but there was someone that made a better one.

From what i hear from 1 of the former directors is that there were 2 people there that ran it into the ground and the remaining 2 have been left to try and pick up the pieces.

It sounds to me that they just got shafted by some old directors but i could be wrong

vaibhav thakur
2nd Apr 2007, 08:44
hi all , i was one of the international student @ arena aviation ...nd i got my money back , like nt back but acpet ( Australian Council for Private nd Training ) they have secured a new school for me and that is FTA ( Flight Traning Australia ) nd i have to pay nuthin fr my rest of flying nd IREX . So for every1 whom arena owe money u can contact ACPET nd they will help ..

stressful one
2nd Apr 2007, 09:04
how was the school?? in general. I have head people here say different things

asw28-866
3rd Apr 2007, 08:31
So stressful one, a new username, one new thread and two posts asking for the dirt on Arena aviation's collapse? Smells of vested interest or cheap journalism to me...tut tut

Charlie Foxtrot India
3rd Apr 2007, 12:56
Can we ban SMS speak on this forum?

stressful one
3rd Apr 2007, 21:45
lets try and think about it.
2 new posts, yes i just joined and do have a interest in what happened to Arena.

AS i said i had been reading for a while and for some reason thought this place would be a good place to get some answers and not get attacked by some tard with an attitude.

just wanted info nothing more

Flintstone
3rd Apr 2007, 23:29
not get attacked by some tard with an attitude.

:rolleyes: Oh, the irony.

turnarounds
3rd Apr 2007, 23:40
Seems the school will not sell as a going concern, all is to be auctioned on the 18th of April. http://www.pvas.com.au/onsite.htm

I bet those Traumahawks that are just about out of spar life and that pristine Seneca with time ex engines fetch a premium!

Funny I can't see the directors company cars listed or perhaps they have just missed them?:mad:

stressful one
3rd Apr 2007, 23:45
(ok im a bit more calm now)

and yes i do have a very high interest in it as i have just bought it.

turnarounds
3rd Apr 2007, 23:51
Bought the AOC or the whole operation?? What about the advertised auction??

stressful one
4th Apr 2007, 02:10
the things we are not taking are still going ot the auction.....
the amount of money they owed on some of the aircraft it very very high (over 100k) for a 79 pa28 for example)

The only way the company could be sold as an ongoing concern was if the secured creditors got what they wanted. If you ask me it should be the unsecured creditors that should get the most because you can sell the planes or give them back to the finance company but they are not interested in doing that. ( i think because they know they will never get 59k for a tomahawk to pay it out)

There are some very unhappy people out there that are owed money and they are very angry with me because i am not paying 500k to get everyone 100% of their money back. My answer to them is stiff, if it goes to auction you will get nothing it if do it you at least get something

Charlie Foxtrot India
4th Apr 2007, 04:59
I'm a bit unhappy too that I was intending to bid for several items in the auction, I rang the auctioneers to ask what was left and they said they had no knowledge of some of it being sold prior to auction. They told me it would be "all or nothing" if there was to be a sale prior to auction.

So far have not been able to contact the administrators.

So perhaps you could tell us what is left?

stressful one
4th Apr 2007, 05:28
The Seneca Maybe. i say maybe because the bank may not let it go to us. As far as i know there is a tomahawk, a Arrow, Warrior. I think it is all the aircraft except 1 archer and 2 tomahawks.

And the sale has only been made semi official as of today

turnarounds
4th Apr 2007, 07:35
They would be lucky to get that for all the Tomahawks combined!

Stressful have you had a past interest with Arena?

Would you really want the Seneca, do the sums ........

A pretty good Seneca I would be lucky to fetch $110,000

Subtract paint 25k, Interior 5k, Engines 70k, Props 12k, a good 100 hourly 10k ......... you would need to be paid 12k to take it away! :ugh:

Charlie Foxtrot India
4th Apr 2007, 08:44
Hmm.

Any legal folks like to define a semi-official sale? Is that before or after offer and acceptance subject to whatever?

I wonder how happy the creditors would be to know that some items seem to have been removed from the auction without others having the option to bid? Is that in thier best interests?

I won't bother attending the auction unless the catalogue is complete. Not going all the way there if the stuff I want may or may not already have been flogged off, quite possibly for less than I or others may have bid had there been a bit of competition. So that's one less prospective buyer. :* Sorry, creditors.

jbr76
4th Apr 2007, 08:51
( 59k for a tomahawk to pay it out)

59k for those rust buckets??!?!? :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

How on earth does something as outdated as their fleet of traumahawks fetch 59k to pay each out?!

Islander Jock
4th Apr 2007, 09:46
I had a discussion with a guy at Avalon who had a fairly close business association with Arena. I asked whether any of the aircraft could be bought by private negotiation prior to the auction and his response was that everything had to be disposed of under the same terms.
There is a warning however on the website that says some items may be withdrawn prior to auction.

But then the conspiracy theorist in me asks why would anyone who has entered into a private negotiation with the administrators and maybe has a good chance of pulling it off, come onto an anonymous website and brag about it?

J430
4th Apr 2007, 11:35
I hate to bring this up, because I am not perfect at english either, however I hope Mr Stressful is better at running a flight school than he is with his grammar:eek: !

My GA instructor once worked there, he said a few years ago you would need someone to pay you way more than$12K to take that Senneca off their hands. Leaks like a sieve:ooh: :ooh: And perhaps worse things:suspect:

not me....who said that....

stressful one
4th Apr 2007, 11:57
charlie.
offer made on paper,. Offer accepted but not yet on paper.

No Past affiliations in the at all

If the Seneca comes with it so be it if not no sleep lost

i dont think i have come on here bragging about it. I simply came on here asked a question about the school in general.

If anyone is upset about not having all the things at the auction well everyone was given the chance to buy the whole thing. I chose to do it and i was the higher bidder. (sorry for the other here that i beat)

At the end of the day it is not up to me how much the unsecured creditors get and how the money gets handed out. If it were me i would tell Westpac to F$#%K OFF and give the planes back and pay the creditors. For the record. The amount i am paying is more than enough to pay every single unsecured creditor every single dollar they are owed. if it all went to auction they would get less. Sell all the aircraft and office equipment what do you get? 200k? who is going to pay the rest that is still owed?

At 200k every single creditor would probably get about 20c in the dollar. We are paying plenty more than that.

Does anyone think we have actually helped the all creditors out?

by the way had a conversation with YBAF today regarding using the facilities there......... didnt go well. Who ever sent the company broke made a real lasting impression on a few people

turnarounds
4th Apr 2007, 12:13
YBAF are difficult to please at the best of times ........

This will give you an idea as to why they are not open to Arena's return

Take a look at ...............

http://www.archerfieldairport.com.au/Downloads/Media%20Release_CEO.pdf

Mr GC was the CEO of RQAC / AAA, I think you will find AAA now have the lease on the old Arena building? Block any competitors and you are sure to do well!

stressful one
4th Apr 2007, 12:27
wow that is an expensive airport

turnarounds
4th Apr 2007, 12:29
exactly why they left :ugh:

Fly_by_wire
4th Apr 2007, 12:41
I was a student at Arena during 2003/04 and got to just short of ppl. My main reason for stopping was simply financial reasons and I am really interested in getting my flying started again just not sure where I should be looking at as good school.

I enjoyed my time there and most of the instructors were really good at that time. I know for a fact that arena produced a huge number of excellent airline pilots and instrcutors over the years and I am extremely surprised to see how many negitive experiences people have had with them. The only thing that I found difficult is that I had so many different instructors, probably 8 different people during my time there but I just presummed that is how most schools of any size operated.

The tomo's were all well maintained (to my knowledge) a newer one (JAM) was purchased in the year I was there aswell as new engine on CFR etc. Things may have gone down hill leading to the move to red but I couldn't comment on that as I wasn't there.
I wonder if I will still be able to get my old records..

Ive been reading pprune for a long time now and this is only my second post. I find the info here really interesting but its hard at times to know what to think as you seem to find someone has always had a bad experience with everyone at some point.

Cheers.

stressful one
4th Apr 2007, 12:49
wow and i didnt have to even pay for that endorsement!!!!

thanks for that. I think there are happy and angry people about it all .... people generally will say something good if you ask them to but if someone is pissed it wont take much to set them off.

turnarounds
4th Apr 2007, 12:50
The tomo's were all well maintained (to my knowledge):} :} :yuk: :yuk:

Just before you got there the whole fleet had engines well past TBO, CFR got an engine because it had exceeded TBO by so much that there was not an engineer in the world prepared to sign it out.

Fly_by_wire
4th Apr 2007, 12:57
I just find it amazing how I can be spending every second day at the place and speaking to all the students (whilst I was there anyway) and not know anything is wrong or maintenance problems. (Im not saying these problems wern't there or that there wasn't plenty of unhappy people im just amazed at how it can go on without people noticing.... Maybe they did notice and thats why they left..

I can believe it went belly up. It was so busy when I was there all those planes were getting so many hours its not funny apart from the seneca.

stressful one
4th Apr 2007, 13:12
well the stories i got told why it went under may be differrent but all i heard was that a director there spent too much money on private non work related things while the other director )GB)was left to try and pay the bills

depends who you ask i think

Rich-Fine-Green
4th Apr 2007, 20:08
S.O.: My opinion is that 'Arena' had a better name when they were known as 'Air Training Center'.
Going back to the future may give you a better reception at Archerfield and the fuel companies, maintenance companies etc. - your major suppliers.
Convincing 'essential' suppliers such as Instructors is a different story.

I was thinking about flying up to Brisbane for the auction but there may not be much left after being nibbled at before the 18th.

Charlie Foxtrot India
5th Apr 2007, 03:09
I spoke to the administrator's office this morning.

They and the auctioneers are aware of what is being said on on this forum.

The gentleman I spoke to told me that there has been an offer made to purchse the whole business AS A GOING CONCERN.

The offer is being considered but had not been accepted as of around 11am QLD time today.

I was assured that the auction is to go ahead as planned.

So who do we believe, an administrator or an anonymous poster on Pprune? :hmm:

the wizard of auz
5th Apr 2007, 03:33
save yourself a trip CFI........... knowing you, you will end up with another truamahawk. that would be a worry. :}
I bet you haven't heard my voice on tape lately. :}

stressful one
5th Apr 2007, 07:17
yeah no worries CFI, I can see that there is no way i can talk you around

try visiting the website www.arenaaviation.com.au (http://www.arenaaviation.com.au) Charlie Foxtrot India

BY the way the administrator was on a plane to Sydney thins morning so you didnt speak to the administrator

MCKES
5th Apr 2007, 08:28
:} Hes got you there CFI

Charlie Foxtrot India
5th Apr 2007, 08:28
I said I'd spoken to the administrator's office, but never mind.

Just wondering why you have put my pprune name on your website? Very flattering but I would like to make it clear to all that my sole interest in this was as someone who was considering bidding at the auction.

stressful one
5th Apr 2007, 08:37
check you pms CFI

i put the site back to normal now so no more chatting on the site

turnarounds
5th Apr 2007, 11:57
Amazing ........ you have not bought the company yet can manipulate the web site yet state to have 'No Past affiliations in the at all'?

stressful one
5th Apr 2007, 12:16
o well enjoy the auction on 2 or 3 clapped out planes and 2 toyota vans

turnarounds
5th Apr 2007, 13:28
Stressful

Dont get me wrong, if you do pull this off I wish you the best of luck.

Arena have probably clocked up 80,000+ hours over the past 30 years and no doubt produced many fine pilots. They also have employed many people and contributed to the employment of many others.

The cost of operating at YBAF no doubt was the straw that broke the camels back, even after relocating the ship leaked too much to recover. I guess that why wpac are owed rediculous amounts on the remnants of the fleet. Getting caught in a legal battle with Airservices a few years back also no doubt contributed.

Lots of lessons to be learnt from the past. We may be s:mad: t hot pilots but usually s:mad: t house business men!

Good luck, I hope you pull it off!

tail wheel
6th Apr 2007, 13:46
Maybe I'm a bit slow .... but Stressful claims to have purchased the corporate entity and selected assets under a private treaty, at an amount less than the total liability to creditors, without a Deed of Arrangement being agreed by the creditors (majority by value and number), at a formally convened Meeting of Creditors???? :confused:

Perhaps Stressful should concentrate on his more earth bound business pursuits?

dxbpilot
7th Apr 2007, 11:22
As a former student of arena, that left prior to PPL stage I am in no way at all surprised about the colapse of this company. The way they handled customers etc, its a wonder that they survived this long. The CFI is a disgrace.

Shame for the few good instructors that were there. I do not think this is because of market forces as there is lots of work to had from training pilots from asia/ME. There are just better operators in the area which put arena to shame.

Hopefully the instructors can now find work with a decent outfit in the area.....

beevo
8th Apr 2007, 00:37
I was sad to hear some of the personal tragedies resulting from the Arena Debacle.
I fly with Redcliffe Aero Club and know they picked up a couple of students after the move which must say something for the Arena operation or at least cost structure. I hope there is some chance of recourse for the individuals who have lost money. I have heard a couple of the stories and it is a double tragedy for some as they may have incurred a debt of their own to pay for their training, which leaves them owing $$, having no qualification and no way of getting it whilst they are paying of the $30K they owe the bank. They have lost much more than money.
Having just finished upgrading an old RPPL to a full PPL through the Aeroclub, I have nothing but praise for the professional and friendly manner in which they (RAC) treat everyone.
Do youself a favour, join the club, fly with them and support their operation so that YRED can continue to thrive.
Take a look at their website (search google) they have a complete range to offer and are a great bunch of people.

Islander Jock
8th Apr 2007, 09:55
The way they handled customers etc, its a wonder that they survived this long. The CFI is a disgrace.

Well I have it on very good authority that the CFI is part of Stressful One's busniness plan for his new venture into previously unfamiliar territory of running a GA business.

VH-FTS
8th Apr 2007, 12:42
The same CFI who had work done on his MG using the company account...

The administrator's list also states this certain CFI/former owner is owed an undisclosed amount of money for instructing. Along with the poor junior instructors who went weeks without pay...

Judging by the rubbish going around this forum things won't be changing too much.

Shame shame shame!

Aviation Auctions
10th Apr 2007, 11:40
We ,(PVAS), are the appointed auctioneers for Arena Aviation ( Administrator Appointed). After receiving some enquiries regarding the auction, in particular that the assets had been purchased prior to auction, we decided that we should advise all interested parties that the auction is proceeding as scheduled. We have not been informed of any confirmed sale of any assets to date. If you have any questions please direct them to [email protected]. or view our website www.pvas.com.au (http://www.pvas.com.au). thanks

Aviation Auctions
10th Apr 2007, 11:52
In reponse to the number of questions regarding the Arena Aviation Auction, We (PVAS) or the auctioneeers appointed by the administrator to conduct an auction of Arena Aviations Assets. We have not been informed by the adminstrator of any formal sale of assets to date and are proceeding with the auction as scheduled and advertised. If you have any questions please direct them to [email protected]. Thank You

SemperFly
10th Apr 2007, 12:51
I'll second beevo's comments. I have been flying with the Redcliffe Aero Club for the last few months getting all my ratings current again after a long time out of flying. The atmosphere is friendly and professional and they have some beautiful airplanes. Worth a look if you are looking for somewhere to fly.

tail wheel
10th Apr 2007, 21:49
PPRuNe Forums will not be used in an attempt to frustrate or derail a process being conducted in accordance with Australian company legislation.

Streeful One shall stress no more. He's on "holidays" from PPRuNe until the auction is over. He is unable to respond to any posts.

wishful av8r
10th Apr 2007, 23:39
It is sad to hear all the "bad" reports about Arena. I met some really nice people working there as a paying client. In regard to the aircraft, can anyone tell me about the T-tailed arrow? I never flew it there but wouldn't mind putting my hand up at the auction. If it is inappropriate in this forum, please PM me.

kingtoad
11th Apr 2007, 03:29
If you're talking about the Arrow IV that was online there about 10 years ago, I think that used to belong to one of the "Ian's" at Ian Aviation - 'twas a very nice aeroplane. At the time possibly the best maintained etc in the whole fleet.

I had heard via the grapevine, though, that the said "Ian" had sold it.

Of course, if it's a different arrow, then pls disregard this post. (sorry - can't 'member the rego off the top of my head)

turnarounds
11th Apr 2007, 05:27
Different Arrow, KBD has not been with Arena for long.

Sorry to hear stress had to go on holidays :D

Chimbu chuckles
11th Apr 2007, 05:36
Not 'holidays'...Stress leave:}

puff
11th Apr 2007, 06:45
kingtoad I think it was PZY your talking about. Not sure where it is now. Flew it once and the stall warning jammed on at about 200 feet on climbout. Result was one annoying short circuit!

Going Nowhere
11th Apr 2007, 08:02
There's been a bit of a change to the Arena site in the last day or two! :confused:

Islander Jock
11th Apr 2007, 08:57
Looking at their website and AOC. According to the later they are not authorised to conduct charter operations in Cherokee 6, Baron, or PC12.:=
Unless the AOC has been recently revised and not yet posted on the CASA website. :confused:
Rather interesting. The person posting as Stressful One who manipulated the web page last week with a chat section, has the same first name as the person on the "contact us" section of the home page.
No wonder there was a deliberate attempt to derail the auction. :mad: :mad:

VH-FTS
11th Apr 2007, 12:27
Moving to Bankstown? Now that's interesting!

I wonder how the guys and gals in Sydney feel? I bet they're real concerned...:hmm:

Rich-Fine-Green
11th Apr 2007, 13:07
The Air Training Centre Pty. Ltd. AOC section 3.4 lists only Archerfield, Cabooluture and Redcliffe as training airports.
An AOC application to CASA to add Bankstown won't happen overnight........

Comments from 'Aviation Auctions' - are the chattles on their way South of the border?.

wishful av8r
11th Apr 2007, 23:33
yes KBD. The auction specs say
"1979 PIPER ARROW IV PA-28RT-201 4 SEATER AIRPLANE, VH-KBD, TTIS: 2950.6 HOURS, LYCOMING IO-360-CIC6 ENGINE, ENGINE HOURS: 917.4, SINGLE MCCAULEY CONSTANT SPEED PROPELLOR, PROPELLOR HOURS: 1352.5, IFR, CHARTER, CLASS B"
Low TTIS and reasonable EHTR. I know of once when the nose gear got a bit sticky but otherwise not heard anything bad.

Aviation Auctions
12th Apr 2007, 09:43
No, ALL chattels will be going to auction on Wed 18th April 11am at Arena's Hanger at Redcliffe. Thanks

Aviation Auctions
12th Apr 2007, 09:48
The Arena Aviation website had been hijacked by an unauthorised user. All amendments to the website after the appointment of the administrator are false. This is currently being rectified. We would like to reiterate that no assets have been sold and the auction is proceeding as originally planned. Thanks

VH-FTS
12th Apr 2007, 10:21
Someone is really bored if they've gone to that much effort.

Islander Jock
13th Apr 2007, 05:05
well I think he (Stressful One) will be bored no more. Check out the latest Arena Aviation home page.
No doubt changed by or under direction of the Administrators.

OK S.O lets see you talk your way out of this and stay fashionable.:rolleyes:

tail wheel
13th Apr 2007, 09:42
Sorry IJ. He's on stress leave for a few more days. :}

Gobabygo
15th Apr 2007, 11:24
Does anyone know if the high time Tomahawks have had the spar mod? What about JAM - any secrets hidden in its history?

Islander Jock
15th Apr 2007, 11:38
Gobabygo,
JAM spent a bit of time in WA. It was commented by an engineer at JT that it was one of the best maintained PA38s that he'd seen. Not sure how well it's been maintained since or if it has had the spar mod done yet.
If you were interested, try and get a LAME who has been around Tomahawks and knows waht to look for to give it a quick going over on the morning of the auction.

turnarounds
15th Apr 2007, 22:46
JAM has had forced landing off airport and substantial damage repaired pre Arena. Details are in the log book.

No spar mods on others, FLX has had a wing swap along the way so spar was not due at 11,000.

Gobabygo
16th Apr 2007, 08:45
Thanks all for your help. Had a look at them today. They're a little untidy. Those spar mods are kinda expensive to do...seems about 11K will do it properly. 100hrly's soon... Maintained by company with no money.....

Market value to me doesn't seem that high.

Any ideas?
Thanks

turnarounds
16th Apr 2007, 09:31
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/environmental_management/waste/waste_minimisation/reduce_reuse_recycle/#Aluminium

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

CHAIRMAN
16th Apr 2007, 13:44
Gotta be one of the best comebacks I've ever seen on Prune!!

megle2
18th Apr 2007, 10:06
Was at the auction until lot 30 of 300 odd. Aircraft were last so don't know what they made.

Didn't see anything of value except a few circa 1990 penthouse mags!
They were in amonst some boxes of student training records.
Mostly rubbish.

Wooden DH prop made $200 odd. OK for the bar.

What happened to the AOC ect? Was that sold?

turnarounds
18th Apr 2007, 10:16
Who was the large gentleman who bid and won nearly everything? Rumoured to be starting a flying school??

Stressfull?

CHAIRMAN
18th Apr 2007, 12:01
Good luck to the guy. The traumahawks went for fair value if you were a private person wanting cheap motoring with very few hrs/year - 22K for the best and 13K for the worst. As for setting up a flying school with them? Good luck, it will be needed. Biggest bargain of the day was a $5 desk!

VH-FTS
23rd Apr 2007, 07:48
Who was the large gentleman who bid and won nearly everything? Rumoured to be starting a flying school??

Stressfull?

Me thinks so. My sources tell me he's moving Arena back to Archerfield.

I bet everyone at YBAF is really worried. :rolleyes:

cdejong
23rd Apr 2007, 08:23
Bumped into bloke who spent big on tomahawks....apparently starting flying school in dalby....talked to him a few days after auction at arena redcliffe office....

If anyone knows..or are the person who bought the big VH-FLX model on roof.......do u want to sell it? hahaha.....missed out at auction but still want it!

cheers

PA39
23rd Apr 2007, 09:00
Prominent long time Caloundra CFI/CP observed discussing ops manual and CP delegation with businessmen at a restaurant in Enogera last week!

Steve888
3rd May 2007, 06:43
Sorry to resurface this thread, but I have heard recently that Arena may be reborn under the name AV8. Can someone confirm or deny?

Rich-Fine-Green
3rd May 2007, 07:41
There is already an "AV8" Helo company operating out of the Whitsundays.

Same Mob?.

cdejong
7th May 2007, 11:13
howdy...

i believe it is true that arena will become AV8...bloke i spoke to about dalby also told me about the AV8 thing......but not sure if the dalby thing is true or not? dont c how any flying school culd operate there...

Ment to be aimed at airline pilot training..and bought tomos as he rekons cessna pilots cant land pipers...(or pax jets too i spose)....but y compete with AAA at YBAF?

jbr76
8th May 2007, 07:45
Ment to be aimed at airline pilot training..and bought tomos as he rekons cessna pilots cant land pipers...(or pax jets too i spose)....but y compete with AAA at YBAF?

No offence, but with a childish attitude like that I certainly wouldnt be taking my hard earned cash to go & train with someone who holds such a dim view of other fellow aviators just because of what they choose to train/fly in.

With reference to Airline Training, apart from a couple of institutions at YBAF, I honestly dont think another new operator has the means nor structure to compete with what is already running @ YBAF. Who really wants to learn to fly in some clapped out traumahawk which cockpit environment resembles something that biggles once treasured in the 'early years' :yuk:

There are plenty of other training institutions out there who have available the latest aircraft that GA has to offer .. why would you opt for anything less? :ugh:

My $0.05 worth ( ex GST for you career people ) $0.10 for others ..

Rich-Fine-Green
8th May 2007, 08:44
Jbr76:

Correct!. Last time I was at YBAF, I saw new Cessnas, Diamonds and Cirrus (Plu; Cirri?).

A few poor old TommyAxes can't compete unless the price is set real low.

Evidently, the same fleet was not able to compete with the Redcliffe Aero Club's new C172s -

Av8er_PA38
3rd Jun 2007, 10:37
Ok, first yes Av8 is real, second it is run with tomahawks, C172RG, Warrior, Partenavia and C310, the owner does not look down at Cessna pilots, and I should no as I fly the C172 and I fly PA38's with him, he has an amazing amount of knowledge and you say you would'nt fly with someone with a dim outview and yet you judge him before knowing him, I don't mean to be picky but essentially this is a rumour network as the name suggests and you can't rely on the information of others. It is in the old terminal building at archerfield I don't know where Dalby came into it full stop, it is a very good organisation with a lot of experience and I would most certainly place my cash into this organisation. I think that before you say things as the above remarks you should first investigate the organisation, a website will be up and running soon.

Kind Regards

The Av8er

jbr76
3rd Jun 2007, 11:08
Ok, first yes Av8 is real, second it is run with tomahawks, C172RG, Warrior, Partenavia and C310, the owner does not look down at Cessna pilots, and I should no as I fly the C172 and I fly PA38's with him, he has an amazing amount of knowledge and you say you would'nt fly with someone with a dim outview and yet you judge him before knowing him, I don't mean to be picky but essentially this is a rumour network as the name suggests and you can't rely on the information of others. It is in the old terminal building at archerfield I don't know where Dalby came into it full stop, it is a very good organisation with a lot of experience and I would most certainly place my cash into this organisation. I think that before you say things as the above remarks you should first investigate the organisation, a website will be up and running soon.

Kind Regards

The Av8er

Just a question of curiosity .. how much were you paid to blow your trumpet for "AV8 aka Arena Aviation2 aka Sausage Mill" ? :hmm::rolleyes:

megle2
3rd Jun 2007, 11:12
So I guess P's 310 JQK is coming back to AF again.

Av8er_PA38
4th Jun 2007, 02:55
I wasn't paid at all, I just think that this school is not such a bad thing and I'm sorry if you (bizzybody) feel that way about the owner and CFI, however I was merely placing in the gaps. I did not blow any trumpets at all but as you can see not everyone is going to feel happy about Av8.

bizzybody
4th Jun 2007, 05:09
I suspect you are involved with them in some way because there is no way a 17 year old would register for the fun of it and the first post he makes is to defend the organisation he shares his name with.

VH-FTS
4th Jun 2007, 07:09
Me thinks you are a Grade 3 instructor for Av8 looking for some sorry punters...

Or a CPL student who is trying to get into management's good books so you can become a G3 there. Better get used to washing GB's car.

tail wheel
4th Jun 2007, 07:51
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Closed-1.gif