PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity for CPL experience building/interesting flying?

Heliport
7th Mar 2007, 19:45
I’ve been told about a flying opportunity which might appeal to a CPL wanting to build hours/experience in an unusual environment.

Marine Reach - the maritime arm of ‘Youth With A Mission’ - has a vacancy for a Jetranger pilot in Kigoma, Western Tanzania.
YWAM flies Medical Mercy Ministries to the people living in remote areas around Lake Tanganyika. At the moment, all the flying is land-based but YWAM hopes to acquire a small medical ship in the near future which will be equipped with a helipad.

Requirements:
CPL, 500 hours minimum (incl 300 hrs PIC minimum), B206 rating.
Pilots are usually required to spend some nights away from base each month to complete planned flights.
The position may be combined with the management of the operation.

YWAM’s work seems to be similar to that of the Mission Aviation Fellowship. I don’t know what salary is being offered but YWAM is a charity so I assume the job should be seen as an opportunity for interesting flying and building experience in an unusual environment rather than a way of making big bucks.
Anyone interested can get more information from [email protected] ([email protected])

Kigoma is a small tropical town on the eastern shore of Lake Tanganyika, close to the border with Burundi, and is the main port and main railway stop in the west of Tanzania for the Central Railway line. It's a few miles north of the old Arab slave trading settlement of Ujiji – location of the famous "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" meeting.

H.

I've since been told the flying involves "hot and high, jungle, mountain and ship landings."
Explains the 500 hours minimum, but a rare opportunity for interesting flying - and might make a CV stand out from the crowd in the future. :)

Up & Away
19th Mar 2007, 18:13
Interesting advert in Flight
"Mauritius Helicopter Limited is involved....."
but with a strange rider.
""Mauritius Helicopter Limited reserves the right not to make any appointment following this advertisement"".
so why advertise??
your thoughts

lramseymd
25th Mar 2007, 21:59
Pilots interested in this project on Lake Tanganyika should understand that this opportunity is much more than just a job. Youth With A Mission / Marine Reach is looking for indivuduals to become part of a team attempting to reach very diffiuclt to access villages with health and spiritual care. The project is faith based, like Missionary Aviation Fellowship, as noted.
One can learn more about Youth With A Mission and Marine Reach at their web sites.
Additional information regarding the project can be secured from [email protected], rather than the prior e-mail address noted.