PDA

View Full Version : Gadzooks

tezzer
7th Mar 2007, 19:01
I'm down in Bratislava for a couple of days, courtesy of Lufthansa. I bought an economy ticket, so I kind of expected a bit of trouble changing.

My meeting tomorrow will be over by about 2 pm, so tried to swap to the teatime flight to Munich, then on to Manchester. My ticket requires me to stay 2 nights, it seems, and a new 1 way ticket is almost 1,000 euros.

Cheaper to stay in Bratislava another night, and take the 06.55 out on Friday morning.

Final 3 Greens
8th Mar 2007, 06:20
Tezzer

So you bought an inflexible economy ticket and were surprised that the airline wanted to sell you a new one at the tariff prevailing for a short notice, one way, journey.

Am I missing something here?

Your analysis of the best course of action seems spot on however.

tezzer
8th Mar 2007, 07:24
No, my COMPANY bought an in-flexible ticket, the conditions thereof unknown to me. What suprises me is the cost of a one-way ticket, from Bratislava to Manchester via Munich. It is almost 4 times the price of my return. Now, the flights down were nowhere near full ( 10 of us on the CRJ900 from MUC- BTS) but surely, it is going to be busier on Friday ? If I vacate a seat on the busy day, by going a day earlier, is that not in both my and the airlines interest ?

Final 3 Greens
8th Mar 2007, 07:58
Tezzer

Inflexible tickets are, err, inflexible.

What part of that concept is giving you trouble?

If you hold the top status in a frequent flyer scheme, then the airline may use some discretion, otherwise highly unlikely.

Last minute, one way fares are very expensive or put it another way inflexible tickets booked in advance are very reasonable in price.

SXB
8th Mar 2007, 09:07
When booking a flight for business the first question I ask myself is 'am I likely to need some flexability' If this answer is 'probably not' then I would normally buy a ticket which is changable for a fee. If the answer is along the lines of 'I have no idea' then I would certainly buy a full price business class ticket.

Normally, I would never let someone else make this decision for me. That said I've noticed more and more business partners are buying inflexable tickets and then being flabbergasted when they can't change them.

In defense of Lufthansa if you look at the receipt ticket (or in the email if you have an e ticket) you will see a line in big black letters which says.....

NONREF/NONEND/NO CHANGE

Cyrano
8th Mar 2007, 11:29
If I vacate a seat on the busy day, by going a day earlier, is that not in both my and the airlines interest ?

One-off revenue gain to airline from letting you change your booking = revenue from reselling one seat on the Friday flight;

Ongoing revenue loss to airline from letting you change your booking (assuming that they are consistent and henceforth let everyone who wants to change their "inflexible" cheap ticket do so) = difference in price between flexible and non-flexible ticket, multiplied by all those passengers who paid the extra for flexible tickets but who now just buy cheap tickets.

Hmmm... :hmm:

tezzer
8th Mar 2007, 15:53
Yup, I have top flight Gold status with Star Alliance, but it makes no difference. Also Platinum with KLM/ AF, and mid status with Emirates.

As for reading the email, nah, just turn up at the desk, and check in, leave the rest to the bean counters. A bit like last trip 10 days ago, uber cheap ticket, got whacked for Excess baggage on the return leg.

I have tried to explain that lowest cost isn't always the cheapest in the real World, but it falls on deaf ears. Never mind, I have another night in the Slovakian capital, better go and see what it has to offer.

thepotato232
8th Mar 2007, 16:03
I have tried to explain that lowest cost isn't always the cheapest in the real World

Yeah, good luck with that. :ugh:

Have fun in Bratislava with this unexpected delay. Can't say I feel too sorry for you - the most interesting layover I've had lately was in Liberal, Kansas (if only for the insect life in the crew lodgings).

Pax Vobiscum
8th Mar 2007, 16:45
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's also unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Wise words from a great man, that should be tattooed onto the hide of every beancounter.

tezzer
8th Mar 2007, 16:47
Will try that one, next time I try and justify a more than bargain basement ticket, down the back on a long haul trip. Won't work though!