PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Whenuapai tower

mattyj
6th Mar 2007, 20:51
..Even though I booked 10 hours in advance for my IFR training flight, and called with 5 hours to go to confirm, and even though the base duty officer told me the tower would be on watch till midnight and even though there was a flight plan filed for my 0430 UTC arrival...I find that at 20 DME inbound on the ATIS that they have gone off watch and my instrument approaches are now unavailable.

W@#Kers

devolved
7th Mar 2007, 09:42
hey,

i had something similar happen with OH, :( i guess sometimes our taxes just arent enough aye..

pakeha-boy
7th Mar 2007, 15:12
mattyj.....mate!! dont waste a good flight.....get creative.....make your own apps....or even better yet

.............LOW FLY....and BUZZ THE TOWER....:ok: ...

guranteed to get the boys out of the smoko room!!

zulu_kilo
7th Mar 2007, 18:33
You'd better be carefull.... you might get a 757 scrambled and on your tail

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
7th Mar 2007, 19:20
mattyj
..Even though I booked 10 hours in advance for my IFR training flight, and called with 5 hours to go to confirm, and even though the base duty officer told me the tower would be on watch till midnight and even though there was a flight plan filed for my 0430 UTC arrival...I find that at 20 DME inbound on the ATIS that they have gone off watch and my instrument approaches are now unavailable.

Does the Tower have to be On Watch for you to carry out a practice ILS?

Does your Flight Training Organisation have a formal agreement with the RNZAF?

devolved
i had something similar happen with OH, i guess sometimes our taxes just arent enough aye..

I think you will find that the RNZAF has a different belief about why you pay taxes and what the ILS is there for. You can always phone Base Ops and ask for an explanation of what their policy is.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the WP operation, but I'd say in the OH case, there will be a (valid?) reason why you got turned away.

Like anything, you should phone the appropriate people when you get on the ground and seek an explanation. You could also find out when the next Airspace Users meeting is and air your grievances there.

Chocks Away
8th Mar 2007, 01:23
Yeh, welcome to N.Z Mattyj. :}
Stuff like that happens right across the board in EnZed! :ugh:
That's why that place is way behind the rest of the world, in many respects.
Happy Landings:ok:

27/09
8th Mar 2007, 03:42
Does the Tower have to be On Watch for you to carry out a practice ILS?

When the tower goes off watch at WP I think the ILS gets turned off too.

kmagyoyo
8th Mar 2007, 04:33
Dare I say it- WP TWR is probably min-staffed and after a full shift the controller couldn't be farked waiting around in HIS/HER time for a non RNZAF movt.

Maybe they should put an ILS in HN...they seem to put training a/c at the top of the priority list there :ugh:

FL440
8th Mar 2007, 04:49
Hn training AC gets priority? haha thats the funniest thing ive heard! :eek:

How does it go......
Enroute from RO to Hn at 6000, CTC diamond star (flying dart) gets airbourne on SID, were 5nm from hold and get climed to 7000 and have to wait in the hold till the CTC aircraft is ready to do there approach because they are at 5000, 9 NDB holds later.....we get an approach

I think what you mean is they put CTC aircraft priority there, oh i forgot thats ok cos they pretty much own Hamilton airport and its airspace now....and wait there are another 12 aircraft arriving!

Anyone else find that CTC aircraft seem to get priority down there?

devolved
8th Mar 2007, 05:03
hmm Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk we did ring up and organise it. We were given a time to come up. and when we reported at set time, we were turned away due to some CT4s wanting to do some aeros. Fair enough the controller did sound genuinely sorry about the whole thing. Next day i was up there and 4 ILS's latter all done.

mattyj
8th Mar 2007, 05:57
clarification..when I rang and booked they said they would be on watch till midnight..thats the duty officer..not the tower.
In the AD2 plate in the AIP it specifically says..no IFR training when tower off watch..and yes by the way..tried HN the week before..what a balls up:ugh: :ugh:

pakeha-boy
8th Mar 2007, 14:12
well mattj...nothing has changed since 1978.....it was the same then as it is now......no wonder we buggered off....:mad:

gsf
9th Mar 2007, 00:27
mattyj: Why did you speak to the duty officer ? in my experience they wouldn't know their a*** from their elbow when it comes to what goes on in the tower.

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
3rd May 2007, 21:37
devolved

Yep, sounds like the usual deal with the RNZAF. :confused:

They have a flying programme and the tower would have looked at that when they allocated a time for an ILS.

But, the flying programme and reality so often differ.

If you were to try and co-ordinate an ILS with a CT4 display so the ILS missed approach went right through the middle of the CT4 bombburst, you couldn't do it, but just say yes to an ILS with CT4s lurking and you can bet that's how it will end up. :cool: :ooh: :rolleyes:

squire
4th May 2007, 10:23
i guess sometimes our taxes just arent enough aye..

Thats correct the rest of the country isn't interested 'n paying for ya............wat a mystery aye sherlock:ugh: :rolleyes: :mad:

conflict alert
5th May 2007, 10:10
The Defence own the ILS and other aids located on the airfield at Ohakea (I presume WP would be much the same). As they own them, they can dictate who when why and what can use them. At the end of the day the ILS is for their use and not Joe public. Until a couple of years ago they pretty much had an open policy on who could use the ILS until a GA aircraft on the ILS upset an Airforce Helo pilot who was apparently 'inconvienenced'. The policy then changed to only a select few flying establishments in the Manawatu with pre - coordination and provided that NO airforce aircraft operations would be affected. As someone previously mentioned - the tower holds a flying programme and when some GA outfit rings wanting to fly the ILS, a time is worked around airforce movements as best as possible. Sometimes it doesn't always work out as yep, the Airforce do alot of unsked flying. I think the GA IF training get a pretty good deal most of the time with their requests for ILS training. Try and do them before 8am and after 5pm (unless the airforce are night flying) and you won't have a problem.