PDA

View Full Version : IFR Theory question

Newbie 2
6th Mar 2007, 10:32
Hi everyone, I am currently studying the IREX theory and have a couple of practicle questions relating to flying under the IFR. I would appreciate any help that can be given with the following three questions.

1) In the AIP's it talks about the requirment to achieve a certain climb gradient in the missed approach. Could someone please explain how to recalculate the MDA/DA for a single engine go-around so as to meet the required climb gradient for single engine.

2) If you are in the holding pattern with another aircraft and that aircraft is below you and begins the approach, at what point or how much height seperation is required before I can begin flying on the outbound leg of the approach?

3) Once you hold MECIR do you require an instructor to be in the simulator with you when you are doing an approach for currency?

:confused:
Thanks in advance

Lasiorhinus
6th Mar 2007, 14:59
3) No, not an instructor.
If you're flying the approach, you fly it according to the crew requirements of the aircraft you're in.

glenb
6th Mar 2007, 17:24
With regard to the single engine MDA this is how i teach my students.

Step One

calculate what i believe my single engine engine climb gradient is, that i am confident i can achieve. If a particular Seminole can climb at 100 fpm at its best single engine roc of 88 knots. that equates to a 1.1 percent climb gradient (100/88=1.1) as opposed to the required 2.5 percent. The lower figure should actually be your estimated gs.

Step Two

Calculate the difference between the mda and the height i want to climb back up to which may be the top of the missed approach, or perhaps your 10 mile msa. Lets assume the difference is 2000 feet.

Step three

on your nav computer place the required 2.5 percent climb gradient over the achievable 1.1 climb gradient. move your eyes around to the 2000 foot figure and look directly underneath for the height you will actually achieve climbing at 1.1 percent.

Step four

The difference between the two figures is the height to add on to your mda. This will ensure that you will achieve the obstacle clearance as though you were climbing at the required gradient.

It is 5am and i am still waking up slowly so i hope i have explained this correctly. If you have any queries please send me a pm and i will respond with my mobile number. All the best with it. Cheers.

mattyj
6th Mar 2007, 20:58
good on you GlenB for offering free advice (and your phone number) to a student with a question, my vote for prune of the month:ok: :ok:

Schmacko
7th Mar 2007, 05:54
A quick reply as its beeroclock
All aviation maths is no more complicated than year 9 maths this includes all fuel, time and navigation problems, this is so for VFR, IFR and space shots I think.
A simple elegant solution for amended MDA is:
A. Determine new climb gradiant ROC/GS
B. Determine new MDA MDA + HD-(NCG/DCG*HD), where;

ROC = RATE OF CLIMB ft/min
GS = GROUND SPEED knots
Prove the above by using unity brackets, it works
HD = HEIGHT DIFFERENCE between MDA and final MAP height
NCG = NEW CLIMB GRADIENT
DGG = DESIGN CLIMB GRADIENT

Draw a little geometry, it works, its simple and you can do it in your head

:rolleyes: Schmacko

volant
7th Mar 2007, 07:31
Question 2,

You are not allowed to start that approach until the other aircraft has completed it. However there is a subclause saying they can clear you for the outbound track with an altitude restriction, then clear you for the approach once your past them.

MaxHelixAngle
7th Mar 2007, 11:54
2) Consult flight manual and find out what 1 engine inop climb gradient you can expect, then set this up on the whiz-wheel as a ratio Vs the required 2.5% On the 2.5 side read the difference in height between the MDA and top of the MAP procedure to find what altitude you would expect to be with your actual climb gradient over the same dist and add the difference to your MDA.

Example:
Flight manual shows 180 fpm ROC at 100 kts with 1 inop so 1.8% (use jepp tables) the missed approach is from a MDA of 500 ft to 2500 ft

set 1.8 against 2.5
read 1440 against 2000 on the 2.5 side
Therefore you must raise the minima by 560 ft.

3) Depends upon the particular approval in the sim operators Synthetic Trainer Operating Manual (STOM). Some will allow no sim instructor subject to certain conditions such as saving a copy of the flight path and backing these up periodically, some will state that an instructor must be at the Instructor station at all times for anything to be logged.

Hope this helps,
MHA

glenb
7th Mar 2007, 16:54
Looks like we are all saying the same thing but one further suggestion.
I would tend to steer away from the flight manual climb performance. It would be prudent to take the twin engine aircraft flying with a suitably qualified instructor. Conduct a simulated engine failure. Note the conditions of temp, height, weight etc. Compare the actual climb performance with the book performance. If it flies like the book figure, buy the damn aeroplane. Use these figures rather than book figures.. The same can be said for single engine ceilings know what your actual aircraft can achieve. And by that i mean the actual aircraft. Performance is call sign specific.
Why do i keep waking up so early and doing pprune threads.
Cheers

MBA747
10th Mar 2007, 01:14
Newbie, You don’t need an instructor with you if you are carrying out an approach in an approved simulator to satisfy recency requirements provided your MECIR is current. After all if you carried out an NDB or ILS approach in an aeroplane in CAVOK conditions without an instructor provided your MECIR is current you will also satisfy the Regs.

I think you will find that as long as the simulator is approved for IFR training and your MECIR is current you can fulfill the recency requirements in the sim and log it as instrument time in a simulator. Without an instructor being present.

No Body
10th Mar 2007, 01:38
2) If you are in the holding pattern with another aircraft and that aircraft is below you and begins the approach, at what point or how much height seperation is required before I can begin flying on the outbound leg of the approach?

If there is any chance that the aircraft below you will need to conduct a missed approach, then I would remain 1000ft above the published holding minima to provide clearance for the aircraft below should they need to conduct the missed approach and climb back up to start again or divert.

Once the aircraft below is visual then I would begin my descent to the holding minima. I would not commence the approach until the preceeding aircraft had completed the approach.