PDA

View Full Version : Look alive!

Juud
6th Mar 2007, 09:55
We all do endless Safety Demos, and dutifully attend our SEP recurrents. Today I came across a study that rammed home to me once again the importance of HOW we do these pax-briefings. Thought I'd share a few tidbits with you guys. :)

Why is it important to get our pax to watch the safety brief?

The way that passengers will behave in an emergency is often dependent on how well they have prepared for the situation. Should an emergency arise, passenger preparedness can be a significant factor in survivability, evacuation efficiency and injury rates.

But we all know that many pax don't pay attentions to our safety briefings.
Is that because they are too stupid to care about their own lives, or because we present our briefings the wrong way? This is what our pax themselves have to say.

How to get our pax to watch the safety brief?

Pre-departure safety information is effective if introduced appropriately. Tell passengers that the safety equipment on all aircraft differs, and that it is in their own best interests to pay attention. Remind people that the information could save their lives.
The cabin crew should appear to be more interested in the way they present the information.

While operators may be reluctant to include such information in their safety briefings, perhaps arguing that such an introduction would be likely to cause passengers unnecessary anxiety and alarm, this does not appear to be backed up by the research evidence.

This is what our pax tell us, but what do the facts say? Here's another bit of interesting research:

In one study, the US National Transportation Safety Board investigated 21 accidents. They found that a ‘passenger’s risk of injury or death in these accidents could have been reduced had they:

paid attention to the flight attendant’s oral safety briefings and demonstrations
read the safety card to familiarize themselves with the location and operation of safety equipment
been better motivated and thus better prepared to act correctly during an emergency situation’

OK, so our pax want plain talk, but our companies don't.
Maybe time to write to your company and point them to the link at the bottom of this post? ;)

In the mean time, each of us doing a demo can make a REAL difference, just by doing it in a way that shows we actually care about what we are doing! :ok:

link (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2006/pdf/grant_20040239.pdf)

Honeytruck
6th Mar 2007, 13:52
My impression was that most pax who didn't watch the brief were switched off because they'd seen it all before, or thought they had. Or - and these were the worst - they wanted to look like they'd seen it all before.
I did often wonder if some announcement on the PA beforehand, to the effect that it is simply a courtesy to look up from your paper when the CC are doing an important part of their job, might help. That approach would at least let the posers save face. And quite apart from the safety aspects you so rightly emphasise Juud, I always felt it was just plain rude (or ruud) patently to ignore someone clamouring for your attention a couple of meters away.

Rwy in Sight
6th Mar 2007, 15:54
I confess that I used to ignore the demonstration believing I know it all. Now I follow it as close as possible for two reasons:
The first is courtesy - one is amazed how much difference few years and a couple of good exemples (sp) can make; second is my profound belief that by watching it I shall not need it. So far so good!
What does drive me nuts (sp) at least on my part of the world is when a pax reads during the entire demostration only to pray - what's the term cross themselves (sp) as long as the a/c turn on the runway for the take off.

Now for the presenation part I think an appeal on courtesy or point blank explaining that understanding the demostration may signify the difference between life as usual and death or life as criple, would definitely attract the necessary attention.
Alternatevely and realizing that this sound sexist and degrading to othen human beings I think a demostration by an attractive and suitably dressed lady would definitely attract the needed attention.

I apologize in advance for those offened by the last paragraph....

Rwy in Sight

b747 flightboy
7th Mar 2007, 16:01
Fair play runway in sight. No offence taken. What if said pax preferred boys to girls?
So with your theory, as long as we are all well turned out, it shouldn't be a prob if the crew member is male or female, no? :ugh:

Honeytruck
7th Mar 2007, 16:22
Co-incidentally, just heard an interview on the radio with a very articulate and amazingly calm Italian journalist (think his name was Bertolotti) who survived the runway crash and fire in Yogyakarta in Indonesia. His comments underline the importance of watching the demo. He also said that he always does watch it, out of politeness, even though he flies a lot. "It isn't nice to have the radio on, and no-one listening to it!"

It's strange, because in all the discussions about lack of attention to the safety demo, I've never heard this point -- the matter of simple courtesy -- raised before.

rjay259
7th Mar 2007, 16:26
What is it that the Captain or if he is busy the F/O can do to help in the process then.

I have to say it does annoy me when I travel and I see people who find more interest in the stupid little stories in the paper. Makes me want to rip it out their hands and slap them round the face. Sorry side tracked.

I do find that we can waffle on and it becomes just another announcement.

What can we do to help?

259:cool:

Rwy in Sight
7th Mar 2007, 16:34
Dear b747 flightboy,
Thanks for your comments. A wonderfull ex of mine (great lady, nice body, articulate individual) pointed out that if you need to find a woman's body drawbacks, you just have to ask another lady... So my reasoning go that you ask a female member of the crew suitably dressed to do the demo male pax look at her for the demo and her assets (what ever they are) and female ones look for her drawbacks. Presto everybody looks.
b747 flightboy don't worry you look good too.
The flight crew can make the initial anouncemnt like this is your cpt speaking please pay attention as the information is essential for you safety.
Does any one have the text of WN announcement?
Rwy in Sight

Middle Seat
7th Mar 2007, 16:49
I've been on several WN flights, and all of the cabin safety announcements have contained the required elements (seat belts, oxygen masks, exits, routes to exits, including floor lighting, seat backs, tray tables, safety card...not necessarily in that order), but some flight attendants fancy themselves comedians and make it a stand up act. (WN aren't the only offenders here)

Yah, yah, I've heard the blather about it being a way to get people to pay attention, but frankly, I think it also conveys a level of contempt for the procedures. (Or maybe its just because I fly too much and have heard their stupid jokes over and over and over and over again). If they're there for my safety, I wish they'd convey that they take the job seriously as well. I don't doubt they do, but they have a funny way of showing it.

I've been on some flights where the pointy end makes an announcement that we will be provided important safety information by the cabin crew, so pay attention. Didn't note if that helps or not.

...I'll confess to sometimes not listening...usually when someone's being silly about it. Then I tune them out, review the card, look for the exit, count the rows and wait for the stale jokes to end.

GrahamB73
7th Mar 2007, 17:35
Well, I'll confess to being a bit blasé about the safety briefing but it's simply due to repetition and familiarity. The line "because it may differ from other aircraft" doesn't really apply to me as I make the same flight every week - BMI EDI - LHR on an Airbus 319 (I think). It's usually the exact same aircraft, not even just the same model.

It's very difficult to pay attention when you HAVE heard the same thing every week for the past 4 months. Especially when it's a video briefing where the CC only do the "exits are over there" routine and nothing else (as it is on my regular flights).

However, what I've certainly never done is rustle a paper or talk to someone else or anything else distracting. Just because you have little attention/interest doesn't give you the right to distract others.

Anyway, I actually read this thread yesterday and decided not to comment until I'd flown down today (I fly back tomorrow) to specifically have a look around the cabin at the various reactions. I was actually rather surprised at how few people were watching. I'd estimate 10% at the most. But then, like me, I suspect the vast majority of pax on that flight were regular commuters so
it's kind of understandable.

I did meet the eyes of one of the CC who gave me a "eyes to heaven" look when I glanced at a bloke noisily changing pages in his broadsheet but that was the sum total of interaction between him and the pax during that briefing.

So, for what it's worth, I think video briefings are a "bad thing" (TM), especially for regular commuters. Unless hearing things by rote makes it sink in, I guess.

We (ie BMI passengers) get the Captain annoucning the briefing but, again, it's delivered in a "oh by the way, listen to this yet again" kind of tone. I think that's also prevalent in the spoken briefings too - you get the distinct impression it's just being read off a card - you're being read at, not spoken to. Monotones are never good for imparting information.

My two pennorth would be public speaking training for CC (if it's not already) and groundstaff actually. I've heard some shockingly unintelligible announcements from crew over the years. A little engagement and life in the briefings would get a few more ears paying attention.

Sorry, I'm rambling :D

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'll be paying a bit more attention from now on thanks to this thread.

Honeytruck
7th Mar 2007, 20:59
Rjay259, I think maybe all the flight crew can do is try to lift the Demo announcement out of the normal run of PA waffle (sorry!) Instead of a long, vaguely apologetic preamble, how about, "The cabin crew/screens will now be giving you a safety briefing. Watch it. It could save your life."

BackPacker
7th Mar 2007, 22:03
As a regular SLF I sometimes watch the briefing, sometimes do not. The most important reason for not watching, apart from having better things to do (papers, book) is that, although the flight crew claims that all aircraft are different, the briefing is *always* *exactly* the same. In fact, I think if the flight crew is one person short, they can randomly select a frequent flier (best chance in business class) passenger and he/she will do a flawless briefing with all the proper motions. I know I would, since it's all the same:

Every aircraft seat I've sat in has been equipped with a seat belt. I insert the flap into the buckle and then pull on the strap to tighten it. I lift the flap to undo the belt. The seat belt is mandatory during taxi, take-off, landing and turbulence, and a good idea at any other times. Also, on each and every flight, during taxi, take-off and landing my seatback had to be in the upright position with the table folded away.

On each and every plane I've been in oxygen masks will fall from the overhead panel in case of a loss of cabine pressure, and I need to pull the mask towards me to activate the flow of oxygen and put the headband around my head then pull the loose ends to fasten it. Then I help others.

Each and every time, my life vest will either be under my seat or in the center console, and I need to pass it over my head to put it on. Then there's a strap around my back fastened with buckles, and two tabs which I need to pull to inflate, but NEVER IN THE AIRCRAFT. Oh, and did I mention they had a light, a whistle and an oral inflation tube every time? Again no differences here between airplanes.

In case of evacuation, each plane has floor lighting that leads me to an emergency exit. Each exit has a huge red handle which says "pull" and if you do that, it opens. Also, I know about the brace position - it's the same in every aircraft.

Equally, every plane has a safety card to review at my leasure. Yes, I take a look at it but that's because I have an interest in the design of these things.

I am security conscious despite not listening to the briefing. I do take a look, as I get seated, where the emergency exits are, and I count the rows from my place to the nearest. I leave my shoes on until we're safely in the air, and I put them back on before we land. If I ever get seated on an overwing exit and there is an emergency, I know I'm not going to open and take out the door, and then leave it on the seats for my fellow passengers to trip over (as advertised in the safety card) but I'm going to throw it out through the exit to get rid of it. I know I'm not going to take any hand luggage with me and I'm going to punch everybody in the face who does and hinders my exit. I don't wear high heels but if I ever do I promise to take them off before I jump on the slide.

And as for the slides doubling as rafts, well, I'd like to see some statistics on the number of cases where this has actually worked. I don't have high hopes though: I've seen what it takes for an amphibian plane to land on water without damage, and that's a plane that's been designed to do that.

I don't know what it would take me to pay attention to the briefing every time. Perhaps what would make things more interested is if the crew would add a different safety tip in the briefing each time. Like the "keep your shoes on during the dangerous phases" thing - running over broken glass is much easier with shoes on. There can be hundreds of others and if you hear a new one with each flight, it might make the whole briefing more worthwhile.

rjay259
8th Mar 2007, 09:59
Honey Truck,

i will keep that in mind, am flying BA today up to GLA and ESY back after my own flights tommorrow, will see what they are like.

How about talk of a fine for those who dont watch or a test to see who actually paid attention.

Just ideas i now and maybe stupid but hey.

BackPacker some things maybe the same and yes can be boring after a while but hopefully you will see how very few people actually listen and pay attention.

wiggy
8th Mar 2007, 10:14
I think you've just proven "our" point, so next time pay attention
. No - the brace position isn't the same for every aircraft ( rear seating vs forward seating ) and the airline's vary ( feet forward vs feet back).
Equipment isn't the same - you claim life jackets are the same - guess what - they are not - some have nice clips at the side to do the tapes up ( EZE) others are "tie in a double knot at the side". Two tabs to inflate - not always - sometimes one.....
Slide rafts:don't have complete stats but they were used on the Kai Tak 747 about a decade back and there was also a 707 that floated quiet happily on Lake Vic a while back, plus a RAF Nimrod ditching..there are no doubt others.

BackPacker
8th Mar 2007, 11:16
Wiggy, I've never been in an aircraft that had rearward facing seating except the seats for the crew. (Lucky bastards. Rear facing seating is much more secure in case of a crash.) And the only real thing to remember with regards to the brace position is that you are protecting yourself from severe forward accelleration (actually, the plane decellerating and you not). So you need to get each body part as far forward as possible until you're either restrained by your seat belt or by whatever happens to be in front of you, preferably in a way that protects your face. Same for all aircraft and too dependent on your exact body size and seating position to be covered adequately in the safety brief. Feet forward or backwards? Seems like company policy, not airplane characteristics to me.

And indeed, the method of attaching the life vest around your body (behind your back) may be different. I cannot believe that any life vest would be attached with a double knot and that the cabin crew would be able to explain how to tie a double knot properly, securely and tight within the space of the 30 seconds that the safety briefing lasts. Otherwise, it's buckles of some sort mating with another clip of some sort. Can't be very hard to figure out, and even if I did pay attention to the safety lecture, that would not be something that would strike my mind as something particularly important. You guys pay as much attention to the exact way the straps are done up as to the presence of a location light on the shoulders that activates automatically. One ear in, other ear out.

Quick test. Find a passenger that did pay attention to the safety brief. An hour later, give him a lifejacket and ask him to put it on properly. Will he fumble with the straps or not. And if not, is that attributable to the safety brief or the proper design of the life jacket?

Two tabs or one... I'll find out when I need them. More important would be to tell me to "jerk" the tabs violently, instead of "pull" them. The simple tug that the flight attendent gives on the tabs on the demo jacket will not do to pierce a CO2 cylinder, AFAIK. (But I realise that if you would demonstrate a proper jerk, these demo jackets will not last long...)

Don't get me wrong. I'm a private pilot. I do a safety brief for my passengers, trying to tell them what's really important, before the flight. I wear a life vest for large overwater crossings. I have been on a maritime survival course, with exercises like escaping from a ditched and flipped over helicopter. But I also happen to be SLF on long-haul flights, just trying to explain my attitude towards the safety brief, under the assumption that my opinion will be shared with most of my fellow passengers. And as far as I can tell, the safety brief is exactly the same, for each and every company and type of airplane. If you want people to pay attention to the safety brief because you claim that each aircraft is different, start by stressing the differences.

vodkaholic
8th Mar 2007, 12:43
I cannot believe that any life vest would be attached with a double knot and that the cabin crew would be able to explain how to tie a double knot properly, securely and tight within the space of the 30 seconds that the safety briefing lasts.

you're wrong. at my airline we tie the lifejacket in a double bow on the left hand side. we state it MUST be done up on the left hand side and we have plenty of time to do it up in a double knot. also our life jackets have only one tab to pull and it doesnt matter how hard we tug at it! but, we have also as cabin crew never had to inflate a proper lifejacket. so we dont know how hard you would have to pull the tab to inflate it.

BackPacker
8th Mar 2007, 14:21
vodkaholic, are you serious? Have you never ever, not even in training, inflated a life jacket for real? So you really don't know how serious a tug is required? And you wouldn't know how to help a passenger who can't seem to inflate his life jacket on his own in a real emergency? This sounds unbelievable. Particularly since the cost of a regular (non-demo) airline lifejacket is somewhere in the order of 10-20 EUR. Yes, they're use-once so after that you need to throw them away but I'd say that it would still be worth it in training. Particularly if you combine it with a pool session so you know how it feels and works in the water.

I'm not cabin crew but I've also never experienced how hard to pull. People have just told me "jerk" not "pull" or "tug". But I did do a maritime survival course and let me tell you one thing. If you ever need to ditch, do not inflate your lifejacket unless absolutely necessary. That means that you don't inflate it IN the aircraft, obviously, but you also DO NOT inflate it once you get outside. As soon as you inflate your life jacket, you effectively become completely immobile. You can't swim with the bloody thing on. You can't move about in a boat or raft. You can't bring both hands together in front of your chest to, eg., tie a knot. You can't even swivel your head around because without a crotch strap the jacket will ride up your chest until it hits your chin and cheeks (regardless of how tight you did the double bow knot). You're completely useless and helpless unless you deflate your life jacket. (Do you know how that's done? I have no idea. That's something you guys conveniently do not demonstrate... I guess the overpressure valve, probably located on your shoulder, will have a button or cord that you can push or pull to let air out.)

The only time you inflate your life jacket is when you're actually in the water, you need the buoyancy, there's no raft or anything else that floats close by, and your assistance is not otherwise required anymore. But if you feel that there's anything left that you might need to do, whether it is climbing into a raft or assisting somebody else, the jacket is going to be seriously in the way. And you can only inflate them once.

wiggy
8th Mar 2007, 16:25
I really would caution you when you advise not to inflate the lifejacket even when clear of the aircraft....yes, lifejackets are an encumberance but how long do you reckon you've got in a cold Sea before you loose the use of your hands and are unable to grip the lanyard firmly enough to tug/pull/yank it, or even be able to grab the raft, seat cushion or whatever that you hope is near by. FYI you can deflate most lifejackets by inserting a small item into the opening of the oral inflation valve and opening the non-return valve ( the red tag on the inflation lanyard works quite well.)

For what little it's worth I've done umpteen survival courses (including countless maritime ones ), been in a real, not, simulated aircraft accident and ended up in the Sea - at night - in Winter ......it is not something any simulation can begin to adequately prepare you for. I promise you if it happens to you will be desparately trying to recall every bit of survival advice you've ever been given. With the benefit of that experience I still always give the safety briefing my full attention. What you do is down to you -just don't get in my way on the way out:}

Smell the Coffee
8th Mar 2007, 16:49
I think we're fighting a hard battle.....faced with a life-threatening situation and stuck inside a metal tube they have no control over, many pax will simply put things into their own hands, regardless of what the safety video or crew have instructed....
The video below was apparently taken after an Iberia 747 made an emergency landing back at JFK after an engine problem....notice the pax and the opening of overhead lockers to retrieve bags, coats, mascara (you name it). In addition, people seem to be taking their time...granted, there doesn't appear to be a raging inferno, but for an evacuation... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTcjJoIWJQ4 :{

BackPacker
8th Mar 2007, 17:24
Wiggy, I wholeheartedly agree with you. What my point is, is that before I went on the maritime survival course I had this strange idea that once you're clear of the aircraft and have inflated your life jacket, a warm and fuzzy feeling will descend on you and you are safe no matter what happens. Or, put it in other words, I had never looked beyond the point where I would exit the aircraft and inflate the lifejacket. I never made a realistic assessment on the sort of environment I would be in after a succesful ditching and the challenges that I would face.

And to get back on topic, that's the kind of thing the cabin crew doesn't tell you about in their safety brief either. :-)

Now that I've done the survival course I know that once you're clear of the aircraft, the battle for survival (mostly the battle against hypothermia) is only beginning. You need to have all the odds stacked into your favour, and delaying the inflation of your life vest might just help you in case you need to do something. Swim to a raft and climb into it, for instance. Or help somebody else put on a life jacket properly.

In the sea, at night, in winter, with no immediate chance to get into a raft I would not hesitate and inflate immediately. Then huddle to stay warm and hope rescue arrives before it's too late.

Good tip on the deflation too. I'll try and remember it, hoping I'll never need that knowledge...

Smell, I agree with you too and that's maybe another reason that passengers don't pay attention. Commercial aviation has an excellent safety record. Emergencies are very rare by themselves and in a real emergency, I'd estimate that 98-99% either end in a succesful landing where all passengers can walk away at their leasure (taking their hand luggage with them...) or end in certain death for all aboard, and only 1 or 2% leads to a situation where the actions of the cabin crew and/or passengers make the difference between living or dying. The odds are far, far worse on the drive to the airport, and did you ever see a taxi driver do a safety brief?

vodkaholic
8th Mar 2007, 18:48
vodkaholic, are you serious? Have you never ever, not even in training, inflated a life jacket for real? So you really don't know how serious a tug is required? And you wouldn't know how to help a passenger who can't seem to inflate his life jacket on his own in a real emergency? This sounds unbelievable. Particularly since the cost of a regular (non-demo) airline lifejacket is somewhere in the order of 10-20 EUR. Yes, they're use-once so after that you need to throw them away but I'd say that it would still be worth it in training. Particularly if you combine it with a pool session so you know how it feels and works in the water.

yes i am being serious. we have had ditching training however, but we had to blow up the life jackets ourselves. i'm not sure if you have ever even work a life jacket like the ones that are on board an aircraft. they can not only be used once. they can only be 'pulled' once, sure. but they are resusable many times by manually inflating them.
also, with regards to what you say about not being able to move much or jump into water with the life jacket inflated. this is crap! i have done it! and as have all cabin crew. part of the ditching training is to jump into the pool with a fully inflated life jacket on. you can clap your hands together when it is inflated, you can breathe, you can talk, you can swim! sure, it's a bit uncomfortable but it aids your survival.

Honeytruck
8th Mar 2007, 20:50
Backpacker et al, stats aside.. Would it really hurt you just to go look up, put down your paper and feign attention, during the safety briefing? It's only a few minutes. And you never know; while you are clearly aero-omniscient, there may be a complete tyro sitting next to you, whose life might be saved because h/she copied you, and watch the demo.

Rwy in Sight
8th Mar 2007, 21:55
I just come back from a return trip 30' ago. I paid attention at the demo while looking around with short glances what other pax where doing. I flew with the poshest (!) airline that fly the route...

My observation is that very few people look at it. What I don't remember is where the crew demonstrating looking at? TO the ceiling or the pax. It would be very useful if during the demo the crew were repeating "plese pay attention this is vital if" during the demo if/ when few pax were not paying attention.

Rwy in Sight

finding_nema
8th Mar 2007, 22:07
I don't think it helps when the crew look, and worse, sound, completely bored at doing the safety demo. I fly predominantly with low-cost airlines from East Midlands, so appreciate the crew might be on their fourth flight of the day after six days, but still, if you don't appear to be interested in presenting the safety information, why on earth would people be interested in watching you? I always watch, not only out of courtesy, but because I know all the statistics at how much your chances of surviving an incident are if you watch the demo (plus as someone on the outside of the industry looking in - hopefully changing soon - I'm fascinated!) But I'm not the average passenger obviously.

BackPacker
8th Mar 2007, 23:00
The original question still stands: Why does the SLF not look at the safety briefing. And my rebuttal still stands as well: It's the same every time, every company, every airplane, with the sole exception of the exact way that you need to tie the life jacket and the exact location of the emergency exits relative to your seat. When you've seen five or more of these briefings, you've seen them all.

Obviously I can watch out of courtesy or to set a good example to the bloke next to me, but the point of the brief is to aid my survival in case of a crash, not to be courteous or aid the blokes survival. (He's responsible for his own behaviour, as far as I am concerned. I wil however keep quiet and not rustle my paper while the brief lasts, so I do not distract any passenger who might be watching.)

One additional factor was added by finding_nema: In a lot of cases the crew just seems to be even more bored with the safety brief than the passengers are.

Any other factors and remedies?

rjay259
12th Mar 2007, 08:41
Backpacker,

Sorry but that is the most self centred and stupidist comment i have personally ever heard.

We all have a duty of care to everybody around us whether we like it or not.

It has been proven in stressful situations that people will act like sheep and will follow the herd.
So if you have read and understood the demonstration that will not only help yourself but you may in the end help those who couldnt be arsed to watch or read the safety card.

I truly hope that you, the people and crew around you and the aircraft never ever have to put the words into practice.

Keep up the very very good work guys an girls.

Bushfiva
12th Mar 2007, 10:06
As a SLF, I do take note of where all the nearby exits are, and how they open, and how I'll get there if I can't see them (it's not just smoke: I'm blind as a bat without my specs on). I figure, if anyone's faffing around with a door that I need to be on the other side of, I'm going to get that sucker open :-) I look at the card, too.

But I also think some of the demonstrations border on pantomime-like, and so are not taken seriously. It might be worth making the first use of the in-seat entertainment system show a safety video with a "yes, I understand" button between scenes. The technology's there on the newer systems.

BackPacker
12th Mar 2007, 21:13
rjay259, the original question was "why does the SLF (or at least, a good portion of it) not watch the safety briefing". I, as an average SLF, am trying to explain here why I don't watch it. What my personal considerations are for not watching it, or not watching it as attentively as you perhaps think I should. I'm trying to explain that, under the assumption that my opinion might be true for a lot of fellow passengers.

I do this voluntarily, not to criticise here or just make an ass out of myself, but to have an open and honest discussion which might help you to improve the briefing to a point where it might be interesting enough for more passengers to pay attention to it. (Perhaps too ambitious, I know, but oh well...)

If you think I'm just being self centered and stupid then you need to consider that your opinion might be applicable to 90% of your passengers. Not a good basis for an open discussion, I'd say. In fact, if you apparently consider 90% of the people you work with daily "stupid" perhaps I should suggest a different line of work...?

And as for caring for everybody around you goes... Yes, if there is a true emergency I will try and take care of the bloke next to me if he appears to be completely helpless and I can help him without endangering my own life anymore than it already is. And if I need to hand him his cup of coffee during the meal service I'd be glad to oblige as well. But as long as we're just sort of preparing for an emergency which will almost 100.00% sure will never happen, during the safety brief, I fully consider it his own responsibility to watch or not to watch. That means that I'm not going to take deliberate action to encourage (or discourage) him to watch.

Exception: If the bloke next to me happens to be a kid, or a nervous first-time flyer or otherwise very inexperienced in flying, and happens to be looking outside instead of inside when the brief starts, I might just nudge him to point out that they're starting the brief. But the scheduled flights I'm typically on, 90% (or more) is frequent flyer and really doesn't need my help in deciding whether to watch the brief or not.

So the short version. If you want a discussion here about what apparently a lot of people (including myself) find an important subject, you're welcome to do so. If all you want is to whine about me and my fellow passengers being stupid, well, then there are a lot of other fora I can go to.

BackPacker
12th Mar 2007, 21:34
Very nice idea, to use the entertainment system to force people to acknowledge "I understand". However, I have suffered from too many of these mandatory computer-based classes on business ethics and the like to know that after a few, you just click through the "I understand/agree" buttons as fast as you can (or are allowed to) to get it over with. That is, if the safety brief would essentially remain identical, just delivered through the entertainment system instead of live. And what do you do with passengers who refuse to click? Are you going to ground the plane until they do?

What I much rather would like to see, after reading your suggestion, is a "safety" department in the in-flight entertainment system which would provide me with in-depth technical and/or practical information on in-flight safety which goes much deeper than the 2-minute safety brief before take-off. So that I can expand my knowledge on this if the movie doesn't interest me or my book is finished. Perhaps in the form of a dozen or so five-minute videos which expand on the topics that are touched upon in the safety brief.

For example, a five minute topic on blood oxygen, hypoxia, time of useful conciousness at various altitudes, "cabin altitude" vs. "flight altitude", how a plane is pressurized (by the bleed air from the engines), the effect of inhaling 100% oxygen when flying unpressurized at altitude (prevents or delays hypoxia), why you need to pull the mask towards you in case of a loss of cabin pressure (so the valve opens), and what, at the same time, the pilots will do if the pressure is lost (steep dive to get down below 10.000 feet ASAP - that might be very unnerving if you don't know it's going to happen).

If you were to build each of these five-minute videos the same way, by starting, in easy to understand but technically correct terms, how a certain system in an aircraft operates, what happens if the primary system fails and what the backup system is and how that may affect the passengers, I think that a lot of passengers would take the time to watch all of these videos. And as a result be much better prepared for an emergency than the safety brief could ever accomplish.

Virginia
12th Mar 2007, 21:44
Personally, if people don't want to listen, fine. If they want to die, fine. Not my problem but it causes me grief with my forms to fill in.

I Just Want To Fly
13th Mar 2007, 00:18
At my previous airline, a LoCo from LGW, I had a purser that I didn't like very much, but her safety demos were excellent.

She always started with...

"For your own safety and those around you, we ask for your full attention while we take you through the safety features of this aircraft, so please stop talking, put your papers and books down, and remove your earphones.......

She would then look down the aircraft, and make sure that every single person was watching her - that's the whole aircraft - over 150 pax!! This often took quite a bit of time, I can remember standing at my demo position for what felt like a whole minute while she stared at a pax who was still reading.

Finally when she had all their attention, she said "Thank You" and continued with her PA

For me, it annoys me if a pax doesn't pay attention, but I have given up letting it bother me. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink! At the end of the day, I am standing right next to a door, and will help people as much as I can, but as soon as it gets the slightest bit dangerous for me, I'm down that slide!

urok
13th Mar 2007, 00:31
Our demo is done by means of a video, with no actions required by the hosties bar pointing out exits. Generally a much better way of conveying the information - ie showing a real seatbelt being fastened, showing a life jacket really being inflated, showing the location of lifejackets and how they are packaged, as opposed to just pointing to them. Although, Im well aware of the flaws with the system too, but then, is there any system for conveying the information that is 100% effective.

I agree with the need to introduce the demo's appropriately. I was involved a few years ago in re-writing the "Non-required" P.A.'s (ie, not the ones that Civil Aviation Departments and the like require a standard wording for) and we came up with the following intro -

"Shortly we'll be showing a Safety Demonstration about this particular aircraft, a (... aircraft type, using full name, ie Boeing 777-200 ER, or SAS Airbus A320-200). You'll also find a safety breifing card in the seat pocket infront of you. We do of course encourage you to watch the presentation and read the card so that you're familiar with the safety proceedures aboard this particular aircraft. The demonstration is performed for the benefit of your safety, as such the flight attendants would certainly appreciate the courtesy of just a moment of your attention."

We found that this intro worked best as it
~as other airlines in the area rarely introduced their aircraft using their full titles, it caused passengers to believe they were on an aircraft type that they had not been on before.
~It puts responsibilty on the passengers to take an interest in their own safety.
~It implies that people who aren't watching the demo are un-courteous, causing more people to watch.
~Passengers are now very quick to redirect other passengers attentions, if they're talking, not paying attention etc, saving the flight attendants from doing it!

Of course, as with the actual presentation, no introduction is 100% effective.

I was on a flight recently where the aircraft returned with severe mechanical problems, shortly after take-off. After a two hour wait on the ground, we all re-boarded the same aircraft, and had to perform another safety demo. Ive never seen a bunch of passengers concentrating on the demo more!

rjay259
13th Mar 2007, 10:40
Backpacker,

If I offended you personally then I am sorry but it really bugs me when i see people who travel "often" and assume they know what to do in an emergency.

When I work we go through our emergency brief every time we fly, so both of us know exactly what we are going to do. Thats just part of the job.

Even if people do know what to do maybe it would just be common courtesy for people to watch. Oh well.

I do like they interactive idea tho maybe ask a few questions at the end of the demo and wait to make sure all have answered.

259:ugh:

Virginia
13th Mar 2007, 13:37
A F/O I know said that even in an actual emergency demo they still don't listen. He had a planned emergency landing and even then pax didn't listen.

Screw 'em I say!

Juud
13th Mar 2007, 18:47
Virginia, I find some of your comments on this and other threads so ignorant that I am wondering if your persona is a deliberate wind-up. :confused:

Backpacker, thanks for joining the discussion. Always good to hear things from a different perspective. For people with your level of knowledge, the safety briefing is at best a refresher. As the research claims, the more often people watch the demo, the deeper the info will embed itself in their minds and the bigger the chance that they will react appropriately in a real emergency, thereby saving their own lives.
And that is why we FAs want our pax to watch the demo.

I sympathise when you say that you find it hard going to watch every time you fly. I commute by air between home and my FA job. Have done so for the past 17 years. The never-changing safety demo on our 737s is done by FAs rather than on video. Out of collegial courtesy, I watch it. But I have to force myself to do so. :bored:

It's in the thread title and has been confirmed by several posters; first commandment is that WE need to be seen to care.

To make sure I don't sound bored, I'm always varying my PA, so urok, I'll try yours next time. :ok: