PDA

View Full Version : Qantas - HSC Maths and Physics

KezFlyer
6th Mar 2007, 02:55
Hi, does anyone have any experience of the HSC Maths and Physics equivalent courses offered by the Western Australian Aviation College???

They say they are HSC equivalents for direct entry Qantas recruitment, they are $600 7.5 day courses with 3hr exams, anyone done these or applied to Qantas with these instead of their HSC??

Cheers

Fonz121
6th Mar 2007, 04:03
I'd be interested in this too having not done HSC Physics. What a bunch of bollocks anyway. HSC Physics these days are more based on essays then hardcore physics.

57GoldTop
6th Mar 2007, 04:19
There's a guy up north ( in Queensland I believe ) by the name of Dr Steve Holding running similar courses, more expensive but the plus side is that you can do the Math/Physics via correspondence.

I was seriously looking at doing them but when I saw the price I realized that it's not really a priority as there are more important things to spend my money on, maybe it's best to leave it prior to doing an ATPL.

Anyway, here is his contact from an old thread i dug up.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110072

(https://webmail.exetel.com.au/src/compose.php?send_to=aerophysics%40optusnet.com.au)

Lacma
6th Mar 2007, 04:23
Unless things have changed there used to be a course being run by Charles Darwin University that you did remotely, best part was the course cost $5.00! But you did it "remotely".

KezFlyer
6th Mar 2007, 04:31
Not sure of it myself, looks good as far as it doesnt take a year to complete, but it'd be nice to get something the other airlines recognise and not just Q recruitment?!

I've looked into Steve Holding but couldnt find much on him, will try the email from the link, thanks.

By the way my mate in the UK, just done his JAA ATPL and been accepted as FO with BAConnect said Maths and Physics never really helped him and isnt a pre requisite for the airlines there, mind you he has got a Bachelors in Aerospace Eng!

aircabbie
6th Mar 2007, 06:30
Gents ,

Did some research , and found a Cyral Jackson senior Campass in Western Australia , do a 1 year distance Education course for Yr 12
abit late to enrol for this year as its currently 6 weeks in. However you can still join this year . I did not ask about price ( stupid me ) so sorry guys , However i have a phone number (08)93795122 .
Also i found out that if your on the ball you can just walk in and sit the year 12 exmas for Maths , Physics and English ( which apparently according to debate on another trend im hopeless at !!!! hence why im doing the course ) Anyway I hope this is Usefull to some of you . Im sure there are heaps of colleges that do but hey its there if you want it...

cheers

ABX
6th Mar 2007, 07:03
Thanks aircabbie, gave them a call and left a message.

Cheers,

ABX

aircabbie
6th Mar 2007, 07:06
Pleasure mate

Cheers

Swanie
6th Mar 2007, 09:35
I'm currently at WAAC but was exemted from the maths and physics as i did them the year before at high school.
my classmates did say (as you can imagine) that the course was very rushed. I mean teaching two tough year 12 subjects over a two week period is pushing the impossible boundry:8
the maths is the W.A. "discrete maths" equivilent, which is quite easy, mainly stats, but includes some trig ect
and the physics well is physics, if you can get your head around it, can be logically thought through, otherwise your stuffed. and when i did it, there was a section worth roughly 1/4 of the total marks reading a physics article and writing a paragraph about the principles the article was based on...
so long as you did some maths and physics at year 11 level it should be a little more than a reivision exercise:ok:

beaver_rotate
6th Mar 2007, 10:11
Honestly, go and tell QANTAS to punch it up their jumper!!! J* don't require physics, sit tight fella's until the day the silver A320's suddenly have a roo on their tail! So forget it I say, spend your $5 on a Big Mac instead!

BR.

KezFlyer
7th Mar 2007, 01:27
Thanks for the help with this guys, Steve Holding came back to me, looks good for those considering direct Qantas entry, $1500 each subject (Maths and Physics) and he does aptitude test preparation. You can also now do HSC Maths and Physics via distance learning through OTEN (Tafe) which I am looking into, feel free to PM me for more info as I get it.

I don't know how important these passes are but I am beginning to feel that the more 'extra' study you do the more committed and hard working you appear.

Maxweight
7th Mar 2007, 02:58
I have noticed that Eastern Airlines,who used to require Passes in the abovementioned, have dropped the requirement.

Someone also said that J* have no req either.

May have been one of those HR trends that is slowly disappearing,the TAFE correspondence courses sound cost effective though!

ABX
9th Jun 2007, 00:21
Cyral Jackson senior Campass in Western Australia

They never called me back, I've enroled in the CDU course. (http://eagle.ntu.edu.au/NTU/Apps/coursere.nsf/W_Courses_Interest/104D2E619D2CF70269256F02003627D8?OpenDocument)

ABX
13th Jul 2007, 13:53
Mind you, it might not matter anymore, as QF have dropped the requirment for physics...:(