PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Kenya Airways?

cheesyfan
5th Mar 2007, 17:21
This is so-called "the pride of Africa". What do you think of Kenya Airways?

alpha-b
6th Mar 2007, 08:30
Well in an african point of view i believe they deserve the appelation,the standard is top notch,fleet brand new,service excellent however nothing can be 100% good they're also having some few problems with delays sometimes but it's common for any airlines operations

OneWorld22
6th Mar 2007, 11:04
From a management POV though they're firmly third world...

Planning, pilot management, skill at dealing with unions etc etc all are pretty woeful.

Skylion
6th Mar 2007, 18:40
Some of their management issues are a lot more complex than they look and their unions need fully support what the airline is trying to do. KQ, with Ethiopian and SAA are the only African airlines on the eastern side of the continent with real credibility amongst financiers and manufacturers. They have built the network steadily and profitably, are reasonably free of government interference and a great advertisement for what privatisation can do in Africa, thanks in no small part to the original Speedwing team and the single mindedness of the first Chairman , the late Philip Ndegwa.
Thanks to KQ's investment, Nairobi now has the range of destinations and frequencies to make it into a genuine hub. Nairobi Airport itself has struggled to keep up but the current expansion and modernisation programme should rectify that. No other East or Central African country , except for Ethiopia has a chance of catching up with Kenya's level of investment and therefore success in the business.
KQ is a successful international airline that happens to be based in Africa. It has been consistently profitable and grown despite 9/11, fuel increases and all those things. Overall it rates as as a good customer choice.

smallfry
7th Mar 2007, 08:13
Air Zim? Whats that got to do with Kenya Airways? No wonder you miss your connecting flights.... keep getting on the wrong 'plane!
Kenya Airways is Internationally accepted as having a good standard, and the Crew are well trained and the ones I know are very happy.

I.R.PIRATE
7th Mar 2007, 10:48
I have always been impressed with KQ. In my mind, the best on the continent!!!:ok:

Staff could do with cheering up, but aircraft are in good nick, good pilots and very comfortable.

cheesyfan
7th Mar 2007, 20:49
I have no comment.

Plane4sales , please correct me if I am wrong.

Air Zim? Whats that got to do with Kenya Airways? No wonder you miss your connecting flights.... keep getting on the wrong 'plane!

I think plane4sales travelled with KQ but the flight was delayed. That's why plane4sales can't catch up with the connecting flight. You Get?!

Kenya Airways is Internationally accepted as having a good standard, and the Crew are well trained and the ones I know are very happy

Please read the pax's comment from the forum:

Kenya Airways - by Marcelle Stobie
19 October 2006
My mother needed oxygen on a recent flight to Nairobi. She was travelling in Business Class where none of the flight attendants had any idea how to operate the individual oxygen supply. She had a feeling that the individual oxygen was empty. No one offered any help at all and she had to ask for an ambulance on landing in Nairobi. Surely it is a basic requirement of an airline to be able to help people in medical distress? We are very lucky that although 88 years old she is extremely robust

smallfry
7th Mar 2007, 21:22
It looks like you have got a fishing trip all organised Cheesyfan, but you are having to chum like mad.
Whats your point?
:)

Kenuck
8th Mar 2007, 04:24
The pilots are a very professional well trained group of individuals who take great pride in their job. Obviously if it were up to us then every flight would leave on time etc etc. The problem is, a lot of the managers (of which there are too many) have their heads firmly planted up their asses and have no real clue what is going on down in the trenches. The ground personnel are not given adeqaute training and as a result delays arise over stupid things. For example, on a recent flight the purser's headcount did not tally with the pax manifest count - she had one extra. The resulting confusion on the part of the ground staff delayed us for an hour! If the flight crew try to intervene and make a very simple decision, mangers over-rule that decision in the ensuing power struggle. So, we just sit back reading the paper sipping a coffee until they work it out for themselves.

Having said all that, as a pilot it's a great place to work with good pay and brand new impeccably maintained airplanes!

:)

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Mar 2007, 16:43
What Pirate said.

Best in Africa IMO.

Gouabafla
14th Mar 2007, 18:14
I usually have the choice of flying BA or KQ from London to NBO. I generally choose KQ.

Techchick
14th Mar 2007, 20:31
Didn't it used to be called EAA?
If I remember rightly, it was better than Lufthansa!!

ugflyer
16th Mar 2007, 18:14
Alright, this is what I think of KQ.
I am very proud of what they have achieved and to be honest with you all, I wish I could join them on either their 73's or 76's. They have the right business plan and it is obviously working for them.
I have flown KQ a number of times and they run just like any other airline I have been on whether in Asia, America or Europe. And believe me, I have been on a lot of airlines around the world and back. For the times I have flown with KQ, I have only two complaints. The first being the very long delay I experienced in Jo'burg as I was heading back to Uganda. The 76 that was to take us to NBO was delayed in Mumbai, so we showed up only to be told our airplane was still enroute from Mumbai to NBO, and then finally NBO to Jo' burg. The other was the awful landing we were subjected to on landing at NBO from EBB and my poor mother was on board as well. The pilot cut the power over the numbers, problem is we were still a bit high and that 73 regretted the day it rolled off the line.:bored: That stuff happens anywhere. For all you haters of KQ, you are not serious. I am Ugandan but I love KQ. Fly safe fellas!:ok:

Fat Reggie
16th Mar 2007, 21:54
Maybe those Long Delays are directly related to aircraft hard landing inspection and repairs? if you have a lighter hand, maybe KQ would like for you to fly for them also?

Kitoro Kid
27th Mar 2007, 14:04
When it comes to a schedule , KQ are great , as they serve alot of destinations twice daily , equipment is also very good and new. But the delays are too much , most flights ex Nairobi are late due to connecting pasengers from other flights that are delayed , it has a knock on effect. I agree about the comments that the flight crew are very good ,but cabin crew are hopless , as are check in staff , they tend to get very confused. If your flying meduim/long haul , more often than not the in flight entertainment is not working.... its the little things on the aircraft that are just still 3rd world , like the carpet not stuck to the floor and sticking up , and the seat belts twisted.
I fly alot of KQ , and they really are a "flying mutatu" when the aircraft lands the passengers are up off their seats getting the bags out of the overhead lockers , and aircraft is still moving , cabin crew are to timid to say anything , maybe they are not feeling too well at the end of flights due to eating the crap catering they try to pass off as food...
But my biggest gripe is the prices , they are far too expensive as people have no choice , good for them , but not good for us who have to travel and pay those prices.

min2097
2nd Apr 2007, 22:21
i dont know wat u r on about, ive flown with kq alot recently, and their inflight entertainment is always working. Their fleet is very modern, and i have had no problem with their service. i would recommend KQ, no problem

AHRS
14th Apr 2007, 13:48
THEY MAY BE MARRIED TO THE dutch but are a far cry of the standard you would expect from KLM.Not bad for a 4th rate nation.only time will tell.V.SNR.MNGMTpilot(s) stinks...Cabin Crew Management is corrupted.

THEIR OBSESSION WITHTHE COLOR RED AINT APPEASING TO THE PSYCHE..THEY HAVE GREEN. WHY NOT PLAY WITH THAT COLOUR MORE?

sleeper
18th Apr 2007, 17:48
I flew with them only once. This as dhc from entebbe to nairobi.
On time, good food (c class), good landing. It all looked very professional to me.
Now for the pickup after landing (my company), that was a disaster ie non existent!

whiskeyflyer
19th Apr 2007, 06:02
for info, A good place to see joe publics view of an airline (incl kenya) is to click on
http://www.airlinequality.com/main/forum.htm

Its the Skytrax site (the people who give out those awards the airlines rave about when they receive them)