PDA

View Full Version : Summer Flight Suits

freerideroj2
5th Mar 2007, 13:28
Looking for flight suits that are the most light weight possible, have to be nomex.

J.A.F.O.
5th Mar 2007, 14:13
Try Ballyclare, Beaufort or eBay.

And it's flying suit, by the way.

freerideroj2
5th Mar 2007, 15:08
beaufort i`ve tried.....also flight suit or flying suit essentially mean the same thing but i do appologise.

JimBall
5th Mar 2007, 15:54
Custom made nomex in the UK (not just race suits) http://www.jaysracewear.co.uk/

Banjo
5th Mar 2007, 18:43
These guys seem to think it is called a flight suit and thats good enough for me.

http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp?pageId=/page/Detail-XML-Conversion.jsp?pageName=Flight-Suit&flashRedirect=true

quichemech
5th Mar 2007, 19:04
Freerider!

Your time would have been better spent helping me wash the Aircraft this afternoon than surfing pprune.:=

As for your spelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :rolleyes:

2bart
5th Mar 2007, 19:23
Jays are good, take care on the colour as some seem to fade faster than others. Speak to Robert they will adapt designs and they offer nomex at various weights. They tend to get busy with display team orders at this time of year but have turned suits out in 3/4 weeks alot faster than the others who have failed to deliver by 2/3 months.
They have a complex sizing chart, make sure you get your belly button and lumbar point in the right place or the crotch hangs round the knees.
enjoy

What Limits
5th Mar 2007, 19:34
Also try Derby Unitex. Just had a new issue of those and they have had a good reception.

Semi Rigid
5th Mar 2007, 21:12
sisleyclothing.com.au
phoenix workwear - auckland

John Eacott
5th Mar 2007, 22:04
Freerider,

Sisley Clothing in NSW are excellent, and their two piece suits are ideal for summer use, allowing the jacket to be taken off when you need to cool down.

The lightest weight (Nomex) fabrics are not always the coolest, since the density of the weave doesn't always allow body heat to dissipate as well as slightly heavier fabrics with looser weaves. Check with Sisley, they can advise accordingly.

J.A.F.O.
6th Mar 2007, 03:00
freerider

Sorry you mustr have caught me at a bad time and creeping Americanisation is one of my pet hates. No offence meant you might also try Googling for Elmers Aviation, I know that he does bespoke orders, as it were.

Banjo - I really don't care what some thick necked yanks who can't decide whether they want to be in the Army, Air Force or Navy call them - they're flying suits.

John Eacott
6th Mar 2007, 03:42
J.A.F.O. saidthick necked yanks who can't decide etc etc

Well, that'll win you a lot of friends :p Cue SASless as soon as he wakes up and gets through his third cup of java :=

Romper suits, baggy green skins, flying ovies....what's in a name? ;)

J.A.F.O.
6th Mar 2007, 13:11
Romper suits, baggy green skins, flying ovies

John, I'm happy with all of those things I just have an irrational hatred of the term "flight suit", I know it makes no sense. As to making friends, well, if I worried too much about that I'd never say anything. If you want to be a sailor join the Navy, if you want to be a soldier join the Army, if you want to fly join the Air Force. :}

freerideroj2
6th Mar 2007, 14:48
sorry quichemech.....bearing in mind i did semi wash the squirrel panels last time, won`t get anyone else do that here! an observers life is a hard one, also isn`t that the mechanics job??????? :ok:

thanks for all the replies, jays i have now but need something lighter.

BRASSEMUP
6th Mar 2007, 15:53
Actually..............It is a COVERALL AIRCREW. And my tropical MK15T is very nice to wear on those warm days flying my ARMY helicopter not soldiering eh Crab! And i happen to have a few spare ones. All nice and clean.

if you want to be a soldier join the Army, if you want to fly join the Air Force.

rotorfossil
6th Mar 2007, 16:27
The nomex suits that I have tried are all sweaty on hot days, particularly the dark coloured ones which is not good for pilot efficiency. Bearing in mind that even they are only supposed to be "flash resistant", I would settle for lightweight cotton ones when it is really sticky. The best ones that I came across, admittedly a fair while ago, were the light green Aussie military lightweight ones, although with constant washing they didn't last all that long.

Aviator609
6th Mar 2007, 16:27
Hi Freerider,

Try a company in South Africa called Amanda Jane Clothing. Their flight suites are custom made, out of any Nomex material, including lightweight products.

They have produced flight suites for several major companies in South Africa and abroad and you are assured of an excellent product at a very good price. :ok:

E-mail the owner, her name is Amanda. Her e-mail address is: [email protected]

jonnyloove
6th Mar 2007, 17:27
Try Albatross off Denmark they make very light weight nomex coveralls. they provided the big Northsea Helicopters companys with flying coveralls.

J.A.F.O.
6th Mar 2007, 20:19
Brassemup

I'm fine with coverall aircrew, not a problem at all. I can even manage flight suite as above as it's so far from describing the actual article that it's not worth worrying about.

I know that disliking flight suit isn't worth the time either but I've already admitted that it's irrational.

Well guessed on the crab bit, though.

rotorfloat
6th Mar 2007, 20:32
There's also Flightsuits.com (http://www.flightsuits.com/) in the US. Only 2 weights though; 4.5 & 6 ounce nomex.

If that doesn't work, you can try Flyingsuits.com :}

ShyTorque
6th Mar 2007, 21:19
"Flight suite"?

Ah, I get it now! This is one of those word puzzles where you are given one word and have to change it into another word, one stage at a time.

Because it is rude to print "Flight ****e", I'll go for "Flight Saute", which is two stages.

Who's next?

Whirlygig
6th Mar 2007, 21:28
Can I have a "p" please Bob and make it "Flight Spute"?

Cheers

Whirls

John Eacott
6th Mar 2007, 22:20
I'll have an 'R', please....

Fright Spute

:p

freerideroj2
7th Mar 2007, 15:50
i`ll have a "B" then....

Bright spute

(i think i`ve lost the reason for this post somehow!)

TwinHueyMan
7th Mar 2007, 21:02
The best stuff I've found is (amazingly) the stuff Uncle Sam hands out, the Army 2-piece tan flightsuit or ADCU. Lightweight as hell, obviously light in color, and bowel-movement friendly! Should see more of em on the market as the new digital pattern stuff comes out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ARMY-DESERT-FLIGHT-FLYERS-ARAMID-COAT-JACKET-LARGE-L_W0QQitemZ220088845391QQihZ012QQcategoryZ36071QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

I'm hanging on to mine for as long as I can.

-Mike

J.A.F.O.
8th Mar 2007, 02:52
I'll have an M please Bob.

Bright Spume

Ferrit
8th Mar 2007, 06:58
Used flightsuits.com for years, quality is good and delivery any where in the world no problem. Staff very helpful and promt with replies.

lartsa
6th Jul 2012, 07:02
Hi I am looking to get a flight suit can anyone recommend any ?
Which flight suits are good for hot weather ?
can any ex mil types tell me what ex uk military 16 a and 16 b coveralls are like in hot weather up to 32 deg outside temp and 40 inside temp
Or should I stick with jeans teeshirt

hueyracer
6th Jul 2012, 07:59
If you call 32° "Hot Weather"-what condition are the guys around here working in (at 55°)?

Jet Ranger
6th Jul 2012, 08:05
Try Nomex coverall CWU 27/P, material must be 100 % aramid (US product), military standard.

It's possible to fly up to 32 C ... And much higher :E:{

arismount
6th Jul 2012, 08:36
I can't understand why anyone who isn't forced by his employer to wear a flight suit, would want to do so on his own.
Nice and warm in the summer, nice and cool in the winter. And very expensive. Personally, I don't see the attraction.

SASless
6th Jul 2012, 11:10
Attraction....first time you find yourself sitting in a fire....it will come to you in a flash!

Hot, uncomfortable, itchy....but if ever put to its ultimate usage....you will be very glad you had it on.

Granted....natural fibers offer much the same protection to the extent the fibers burn, turn to ash, and do not stick to the occupants skin as would polyesters, rayon, nylon and most of the other man made fibers.

A two piece outfit, in very light colors, would be more comfortable than a one piece in dark colors.

I personally prefer the RAF Leather gloves over the two piece Nomex/Leather gloves....and think they would provide better protection. The longer the cuffs on the gloves the better so they either fit under the sleeve or over ensuring your wrist is not exposed.

Key to minimizing burn damage is never wearing any man made fiber other than the Nomex style materials. Ladies definitely need to consider what they are wearing....as so many Ladies undergarments are made of nylon and other melt prone fibers.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Jul 2012, 11:26
Having a penchant for DIY I'm currently doing my summer GA flying in a nomex jacket that used to be the top half of an RAF Coverall Flying, which I cut off and put a new zip on. With cotton trousers and white cape leather gloves, it's a reasonable compromise.

That said, most of the time, I wear a standard Nomex suit. I recommend the Jays ones, but they're hellishly expensive. Ex-RAF ones are nice, and cheap, just very military-looking for wearing in a civil flying machine.

The link posted by sotiras looks promising, but if you buy from there, take care NOT to buy the cheapest polycotton one.

G

Soave_Pilot
6th Jul 2012, 13:40
Romper suits, baggy green skins, flying ovies....what's in a name?

U mean the ghostbusters suit??:}:}:}

Um... lifting...
7th Jul 2012, 11:34
Flying suit vs. flight suit?

One shall grant that 'flight fish' and 'flight saucer' and 'flight machine' and so forth are nonsensical.

But what sort of propulsion and lift system is in this outerwear? What are its specific flying characteristics?

I think we should be told.

oxi
7th Jul 2012, 11:37
Some may not agree with my thinking but as I'm made to wear one I doctored it, it only comes to my belt not down too far and my sleeves I had cut back to my forearms.

I preferr to be comfortable, some preferr the lot gloves etc etc that's there call.

And mine are from Sisely I'm on my fourth set but have to say preferr my RM's boots and shirt..

Each to his own I reckon!

SASless
7th Jul 2012, 13:10
Um.....are you suggesting "Pickle Suit" is not appropriate?

Some would call them a "Fright Suit".

I do know Boxer shorts and Flight Suits are a risky combination for the male of the species.

Um... lifting...
7th Jul 2012, 14:01
Hmmm... "Pickle suit".

Pickle fish.

Pickle saucer.

Pickle machine.

Submission approved.:ok:

Hmmm... if one were to chop bits off the supposedly protective suit (whatever it may be called), then one really isn't wearing it at all. What's the point?

pilas40
8th Jul 2012, 10:23
Teixeira & Angela Lda (http://www.aviation-uniforms.net/index.php?pagina=produtos&nome=Fatos%20de%20Voo)

freerideroj2
8th Jul 2012, 20:00
...found a nice one from Dickies. A dark blue (although they do a few colours) fire retardent boiler suit.

freerideroj2
8th Jul 2012, 20:04
In addition, this has been a fundementally flawed request from the start due the lack of a 'summer'.

rotorrookie
9th Jul 2012, 01:17
Abbigliamento per Piloti e Tecnici di Volo - UNITED DESIGN (http://www.uniteddesign.it/web/ITA/home.php)

any feedback here on this brand and their products? it looks nice..

SASless
9th Jul 2012, 02:05
FR2.....It all depends upon where you are sat.....100+ Degrees F for the past week with no clouds to speak of....even the Former Ship's Cat who never stays indoors for a minute longer than it takes to wolf down his chow....flopped onto the ceramic tile floor in the kitchen today and would not be budged. He seemed to click to AirCon with a 74F setting being far superior to the underneath of the neighbors porch at ambient temps.

A Cold front moves through tomorrow....temp will plummet to 96F.

HillerBee
9th Jul 2012, 05:43
Abbigliamento per Piloti e Tecnici di Volo - UNITED DESIGN (http://www.uniteddesign.it/web/ITA/home.php)

any feedback here on this brand and their products? it looks nice..

Yes, it's fantastic quality and their suits fit fantastic (Italian cut) (At least on me) I have been using the shoes as well for over a year now. Great.