PDA

View Full Version : Hard as I try - I just don't get it!

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Mar 2007, 11:50
Had a bit of a nostalgia trip today. The Bo was just out of maintenance so I took it on a "shake down" cruise from YBTL to YIFL to say hello to Cowboy Bob. There wasn't a cloud in the sky so I went VFR - for old time sake.

Now I thought the new order of things was that if you are VFR the "system" don't want to know you. Was a time when it meant that you could just call up for a clearance just prior to taxi in TL, and get it, but these days if you do that the response is "standby while I put your details in the system!". OK, I can put my details in the system myself, and I had on this occassion, so off I go. Got my clearance - TL direct IFL, VFR at A065, code whatever.

Some time after I have settled in the cruise, TL Appr want me to confirm that I am direct IFL. That kinda threw me at first cause I seemed to be on track and couldn't see where else I would have been going. Then it dawned on me that if IFR I would be via SPARO, but I am VFR and couldn't give a flying fig about SPARO.

Up around Dunk, Centre starts to get a bit excited about the "VFR aircraft, unverified at 6500" cause ****** are departing Dunk for CS, but I had had a chat to the ****** guy when I heard his taxi call on CTAF - we were cool, and I had given a TOD call on the area freq which Centre seemed to have missed. "VFR aircraft 5 nm north of Dunk Is, please identify!" So I did. "Confirm your are on descent to IFL"! Yep, that's what's in my flightplan and that's what I said in my "all stations" call, like a good boy (I think!), and I am still on the discreet tranponder code that TL gave to me.

On departure IFL later in the afternoon, I gave an "all stations" call on the area freq as well as the usual CTAF chit-chat with the Jabiru that rolled ahead of me and the C152 in the circuit. Imagine my surprise when the Centre lady calls me unsolicited with a transponder code???? I am VFR in Type G Airspace and don't need a clearance for 30 min, and I am being given a code without asking for it?? OK, thanks very much!

So what's the point to my ramblings?

Would it not be easier for all concerned if I was VFR full-reporting - like the good old days?

That's the last time I go VFR anywhere - its just too hard for me! I am going to crawl back into my nice, straight forward IFR cocoon.

FTDK:cool:

Lasiorhinus
5th Mar 2007, 12:21
Some time after I have settled in the cruise, TL Appr want me to confirm that I am direct IFL. That kinda threw me at first cause I seemed to be on track and couldn't see where else I would have been going. Then it dawned on me that if IFR I would be via SPARO, but I am VFR and couldn't give a flying fig about SPARO.
So, why were they calling you? They knew you were VFR, they know what Direct means....
Had you unintentionally flown yourself to SPARO?
Up around Dunk, Centre starts to get a bit excited about the "VFR aircraft, unverified at 6500" "VFR aircraft 5 nm north of Dunk Is, please identify!" So I did. "Confirm your are on descent to IFL"! Yep, that's what's in my flightplan and that's what I said in my "all stations" call, and like a good boy (I think!), and I am still on the discreet tranponder code that TL gave to me.
There must have been a reason for this. Were you flying direct, or using your GPS approach like you do every day flying IFR?
Imagine my surprise when the Centre lady calls me unsolicited with a transponder code???? I am VFR in Type G Airspace and don't need a clearance for 30 min, and I am being given a code without asking for it?? OK, thanks very much!
ATC were probably looking to verify that you were indeed that particular 1200 squawk on the screen. Perhaps they were providing seperation for another aircraft, or perhaps were being efficient enough in preparing your clearance ahead of time. I hope you didnt refuse to give them a code.

Capn Bloggs
5th Mar 2007, 12:32
They're probably showing interest in you because they were told they didn't show enough interest in the Cheyenne (?) that crashed after being off course (but on radar) in NSW trying a GPSNPA a while back. :cool:

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Mar 2007, 13:10
Quote:
So, why were they calling you? They knew you were VFR, they know what Direct means....
Had you unintentionally flown yourself to SPARO?

Yes, I must confess I was unintentionally headed for SPARO - cause its on the direct track TL-IFL

Quote:
Up around Dunk, Centre starts to get a bit excited about the "VFR aircraft, unverified at 6500" "VFR aircraft 5 nm north of Dunk Is, please identify!" So I did. "Confirm your are on descent to IFL"! Yep, that's what's in my flightplan and that's what I said in my "all stations" call, and like a good boy (I think!), and I am still on the discreet tranponder code that TL gave to me.
There must have been a reason for this. Were you flying direct, or using your GPS approach like you do every day flying IFR?

Old George flew straight as a die TL-IFL. I have the trace on my moving map to prove it!

Quote:
Imagine my surprise when the Centre lady calls me unsolicited with a transponder code???? I am VFR in Type G Airspace and don't need a clearance for 30 min, and I am being given a code without asking for it?? OK, thanks very much!
ATC were probably looking to verify that you were indeed that particular 1200 squawk on the screen.

Could be!

Perhaps they were providing seperation for another aircraft,

Maybe!

or perhaps were being efficient enough in preparing your clearance ahead of time.

Possibly!

but a VFR Bo calling TL Appr at 40 nm for a clearance when there is hardly a cloud in the sky and maybe only one or two other aircraft on the frequency wouldn't seem to require much forward planning, if you ask me.

I hope you didnt refuse to give them a code.

Nah, the nice lady was trying to give me a code. How could I refuse!

Don't get me wrong. I am not having a go at the controllers - just the system!

FTDK:cool:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
5th Mar 2007, 17:43
Not sure if you are aware, there are parachutist based out of Tully and RPT runs into/out of Drunk Island.

So the most likely would be the meat bombs being dropped overhead Mission Beach, you would have been in conflict with them and also headed directly for CTA.

ATC in that part of Oz are particularly thorough and helpful.

YesTAM
5th Mar 2007, 20:12
Transit Avalon while Jetstar are approaching and you will receive similar interrogation and perhaps advice, but I don't mind... It beats the alternative.:ok:

BackdoorBandit
5th Mar 2007, 21:20
Mistake #1.

You assumed that TL App do things for a reason. I have been trying to "understand" them for about 12 years now - flying everything from VFR singles to turbo prop RPT. They still manage to surprise me.
You MUST NOT try to interpret TL App, or Tower for that matter.

Mistake #2

You accepted a code when departing IFL. The only reason they gave it to you is so that if you bust their CTA they can send your details off to the enemy, and have you pinged (this is sometime misinterpreted as "they were just being helpfull").
Never give yourself up when VFR - you only need to make CTAF calls.

Mistake #3

You were doing too many things correctly whilst flying VFR. This confuses controllers and makes them think/wish you were IFR. This VFR / IFR conflict in their heads often causes them to do weird things.

Solution

Fly everywhere no higher than 1500 AGL - preferably 500 except in built up areas of course.
Mumble all radio communications.
Do not respond to ATC when OCTA unless of course you want to go into CTA.
If the radio annoys you - turn it off, after all it is only there to disrupt what would otherwise be an enjoyable flight.
You are now part way into joining Cecil's Airforce, a whole world of care free aviation awaits you.

J430
5th Mar 2007, 23:11
FTDK
I have found doing a few VFR and in the system "flight following" services very good. The "onrooters" are very helpful and when you co-operate and keep out of the RPT's way everybody is :D .
BackdoorBandit
Way too funny!:ok:
J:ok:

Jamair
6th Mar 2007, 00:16
I did a CIR renewal a few months back, which involved access into and use of CTA, CTZ and MIL CTZ , IALs, ILSs, RNAVs, at a whole bunch of different levels and with multiple plan changes 'on the hop', with a number of system and airframe / engine faults / failures chucked in. The whole show was managed without any sweat or particular effort, using the system how it was meant to be used. In fact I was very relaxed about the whole thing, right up until I finished the process and had to fly from a D class AD to a ALA OCTA under and around some CTAs. Christ! :eek: The sweat was pouring, trying to flick between channels, dodge other VFRs, read VFR charts, stay within the OCTA boundaries, look up ERSA etc.....you get the picture. On top of this there were 3 different ATC units calling me to advise of traffic, track and frequencies (despite being 'out of the system). Bugger this VFR stuff!:yuk:

willadvise
6th Mar 2007, 00:40
FTDK
From a controllers point of view...
We have a "duty of care" to attempt to insure collisions don't occur. If we see something that looks like a potential conflict and we say nothing we may be liable for prosecution if it goes wrong. Unfortunately as you know we can't monitor the CTAF so we don't know what you have worked out or if you have got each other visual. It gives every controller a tightened sphincter every time you see 2 paints get close and you don't hear anything said.
There are no records kept of your all stations call and the controller may not have been paying full attention. We are taught not to make any assumptions and VFR are not required to advise us when they change there intentions so we never make assumptions on what you are going to do. I have on occasion heard an all stations broadcast and thought it was a particular paint only to discover that it wasn't and the aircraft concerned was not on radar at all. As to still being on a discreet code. I assume you were told at some stage "identification terminated" when you left class C airspace. The ident would not be relayed to the next controller once this has happened (unless you asked for flight following). Therefore from the controllers point of view you are an unidentified aircraft which we can make no assumptions about you until you are reidentified and you intentions clarified.

ATC is all about time management. When you have a spare moment most controllers will get something done because in 15 mins time (when you want your clearance) there maybe an emergency, a pop-up, weather deviations, clearance through restricted area etc. In this case you got your code early. It allows everyone down the line the plan for your clearance and/or sequence. Traffic info would be able to be passed more efficiently (ie "ABC traffic is DEF a Bo tracking YIFL-YBTL A065", instead of"ABC traffic is unidentified VFR aircraft in your 12oclock maintaining unverified A065 appears to be tracking YIFL-YBTL")
Cheers
WA

Victim Air
6th Mar 2007, 06:51
FTDK, I frequently travel that track between CS-TL-CS, IFR and VFR. When VFR it's always different. I'll make a CTAF call approaching Dunk from the south, then hear a call from a meat bomber over Mission or Tully.Usually follow that with an Area Freq call. Sometimes ATC will assign a discreet code, sometimes they don't. I am guessing that it is purely based on traffic and "bombing" activities.
Did Bob have a theory?

Feather #3
6th Mar 2007, 22:43
Doing a VFR ferry up to ATH later this year. Sounds like a fascinating environment?:hmm:
G'day ;)