PDA

View Full Version : The King makes "emergency" landing?

Skunkworks
23rd Jun 2001, 13:34
Thursday evening a "Saudi Kingdom"-painted A340, callsign "HotelTango 4" landed at Munich.

We were told it was enroute to Nice, but for some reason had to divert to MUC.

Anyone know what REALLY happened?

/skunks

Man-on-the-fence
23rd Jun 2001, 18:08
I dont know who was on board but the aircraft sounds like HZ-124 and is quite a regular at Brize Norton.

Its not part of the Saudi Royal Flight but is I believe used by the Ambassador to Washington (who also has a home in the "Midlands" here in the UK)

Bright-Ling
23rd Jun 2001, 20:07
Yep....it belongs to the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Riyadh.

'Tis A340 no#4 and was converted from a 211 series to a 213 in 1997.

I AM NOT A SPOTTER....JUST FOUND IT ON A WEBSITE !!!!!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Theres goes my street cred!!!

mutt
23rd Jun 2001, 21:04
You guys definitely have failed your "spotters" test! There is more than one A340 operated under the Saudi registration, the one that you are talking about isn’t HZ-124 nor is it operated for Prince Bandar.

Corporate aircraft change their destinations all the time, did this one actually declare an emergency?

Mutt http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/PNTSAce.gif

ExSimGuy
23rd Jun 2001, 21:53
"belongs to the Saudi Embassy in Riyadh" ?

Since when did the Saudis have an embassy in their own country

(whoops :) )

4HolerPoler
24th Jun 2001, 11:34
From the rockface:

#4 wheel bearing failed during takeoff roll and the wheel departed the aircraft (very quietly) whizzed into the joint-use airbase narrowly avoiding parked fighters, leaving a rather neat hole in the hangar roof. Startled guards convinced they were under Iraqi attack with new Scud Michelin missile. Blissfully unaware crew advised by ATC enroute that they were possibly missing aforesaid part and established (apparently) a connection. Diverted to EDDM for technical assistance - NO emergency declared, normal landing and aircraft returned to service the next day. Seen departing the following afternoon - what a beautiful aeroplane!
http://cactuswings.tripod.com/photos/hzwbt4.jpg

Nigel Mole
25th Jun 2001, 00:39
So where does Elvis figure in all this? You can't blame this one on him, although perhaps he provided the spare tire?