PDA

View Full Version : BA Ground Staff In The Regions

stupot7783
3rd Mar 2007, 09:09
Whether you are Mainline or Regional or BA Connect Ground Staff working in the regions please share your thoughts, news, and any other information with fellow colleagues across the country here.

With the Flybe takeover of BA Connect imminent, the next few weeks could be a turbulent time with some of us facing redundancy etc..... so this can be our place to share our views without pilots comparing how big their Aircraft Engines are.

MancRed
3rd Mar 2007, 16:11
stupot7783,
I hear @ Man they allready have the 3rd party handler to take over from us mainline staff its now up to us to prove we can do a better job than them during oue 90 day period through the union !! only have no confidence in the union to do us justice and only try to get us a better servernce package instead of fighting for our jobs

Twrecks
3rd Mar 2007, 16:51
Its all about cost. A third party handler is cheaper. Its unfortunately not about people. I do believe their are better opportunties out side BA. We have not been looked after in a long time, and many of my friends including myself are becoming increasing negative ( not good for the sole), you just have to look at the pilots threads. Our passengers are jumping ship. And many deep down inside do not want to go to LHR. 'BA City Flyer' well it's the same management team, as the one who never valued us !!! I would take the money and run xxx Work for a smaller outfit become an individual again. Their is life after BA. :)

boredcounter
3rd Mar 2007, 19:56
So they are calling as far as MAN into the inner walls of Fortress LHR, to defend the last base held.
Surrender the 'Flag' 'BA' they are not worthy to hold it.

MancRed
3rd Mar 2007, 20:15
We don't want to surrender we want our jobs, its our work why should 3rd party do it and us out on our ear?:ugh:

What the latest at BHX boredcounter????

boredcounter
3rd Mar 2007, 20:47
You honestly see mainline as tru?
MAN will die for long haul. BA need to consolidate, guess where.
Before you ask, not worked BA. 3 years, drove my more economic franchishe down. We were backed by a company that could of bought BA, for cash.
It is another feeder plan for LHR. SHT will go,

GroundBunnie
3rd Mar 2007, 20:49
The deal is done, watch for the announcement Monday.

Here at BRS, we're all going. Not sure where yet, but TUPE to Circusair is a strong possibility. A lot of the staff already have jobs elsewhere, and are waiting to see what cash they can pick up before they go.

BA are ending 40 years of association with BRS in 2 days, our 'end of life as we know it' party is on 31Mar

GB

finding_nema
3rd Mar 2007, 21:00
If the BA Connect staff go to Servisair at Bristol, will that not mean they have a monopoly at BRS? Surely an airport the size of BRS has scope for two handling agents.

GroundBunnie
3rd Mar 2007, 21:58
There's certainly scope, and BIA management a) are not happy about it, and b) cannot prevent another GHA coming in ( more than 2m pax p.a.), but no-one else can come in without having a contract from an airline. EZY signed for 2 years with Servisair last October, the next biggest is whatever Flybe operate from BRS, and Flybe have a global contract with Servisair. No-one is going to come in for 4 a day from Eastern.

So it's Servisair

GB

MancRed
4th Mar 2007, 11:05
"Flybe have a global contract with Servisair"

So why do swissport handle them @ MAN???:confused:

GroundBunnie
4th Mar 2007, 15:14
Jarvis

There are other anomalies, too. They handle themselves at GCI. The original info came from Servisair BRS.

GB

mansp
4th Mar 2007, 19:55
Heard here at MAN the BE contract went out to tender and the rumour doing the rounds today is that SAS are going to be the GHA for them, but then again you know what airport rumours are like!!!

stupot7783
5th Mar 2007, 09:46
BA completes sale of BA Connect to Flybe

Today British Airways has completed the sale of the regional operation of its subsidiary airline BA Connect to Flybe.

BA has also confirmed that it is in exclusive talks with Aviance UK, the UK’s largest independent ground handling company, about a transfer of its ground handling operations at Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester airports.

This follows an extensive review of the airline’s UK regional ground handling operation. A third party already carries out ground handling at Newcastle airport and at the majority of airports around the world on behalf of British Airways.

Ground handling at London Heathrow and London Gatwick airports is unaffected.

Staff at regional airports work for British Airways and provide ground handling for BA Connect and some other third party airlines. The sale of the regional business of BA Connect to Flybe reduces ground handling by more than 40 per cent.

If a contract is placed with Aviance UK, around 730 staff will be affected and BA has started a 90-day consultation process with their trade unions.

In the event of agreement being reached with Aviance UK, staff can choose to transfer under Transfer of Undertakings and Protection of Employment (TUPE) regulations. Alternatively, they can be redeployed within British Airways or take voluntary severance.

In addition, the sale of BA Connect means that 250 staff at Birmingham airport, that only handle BA Connect and third parties’ flights, have the option to transfer to Swissport, Flybe’s ground handling company. At Inverness, 21 staff can choose to transfer to Loganair’s ground handling company. Staff at both airports can also be redeployed within British Airways or take voluntary severance.

British Airways will continue to operate 54 return flights a day between Scotland and London and 16 return flights a day between Manchester and London.

GroundBunnie
5th Mar 2007, 12:45
Stupot

No mention of BRS. Strange

GB

stupot7783
5th Mar 2007, 14:53
Yeah that is weird, Have you heard anything yet?

I bet its still early doors at the mo cos now the unions will be negotiating stuff.

Flybe are keeping on routes though I noticed from BRS so there could be jobs for most of you in some shape or form.

GroundBunnie
5th Mar 2007, 15:35
Stupot

As this a rumour network, the strong one here at the moment is that Flybe are going to pull the plug totally on BRS.

GB

treaclecat
6th Mar 2007, 11:10
I have worked in Customer Service for the airport in the Isle of Man for 7 years now and in that time I have gone from Manx Airlines who, if any one can remember, were brought by good old BA where we were transferred across and were all given nice new uniforms and sold the BA way only to be sold down the line 2 years later when BA decided not to self handle.
BA flights were then passed onto a handling company Manx Regional who have continued to do the job for BA in a very effiicient and proffessional way giving an excellent customer service under sometimes very difficult circumstances. Now BA have sold out to Flybe and once again no one knows where their future lies as far as jobs go here with all the speculation over who will be the handling agent. But what we have at Manx Regional is a very efficient, proffessional and friendly team who have served their customers well not only the airlines who we handle but the passengers who we deal with every day. Working for an Airline like BA is not the be all and end all because at the end of the day you are a small fish in a big pool and when you are no longer needed they just cast you aside and leave someone else to pick up the pieces.

stupot7783
6th Mar 2007, 11:22
http://www.nextgenerationairline.com/pdf/brs.pdf

MancRed
7th Mar 2007, 10:22
To add insult to injury Flybe have operated the BA1604 MAN-CDG for BA Connect the ground services( except checkin and boarding ) were handled by Swissport and not BA!

No answer to why BA didn't do it?
Anyone have any idea?

Many thank

paul01942
8th Mar 2007, 06:10
Firstly may I say it's with saddness that all you BA staff are in the predicament you are in! for years un-fortunatley you have all been saying what a fantastic company BA is and how proud you all are of working for "The World's Favorite Airline" what RUBBISH! BA for many many years now have openly said they would rather have business and first class pax on there aircraft to HELL with us lot, we have all been trying to warn BA staff for years that the great company don't see you as loyal employee's, numbers at the end of the day!!! and when the going gets tough BA start closing down they always have and always will.
In reference to 3rd party handlers like us gaining the work from you, remember we are trying to secure our future to, so un-fortunatley there's no sentiments when it comes to pinching a contract, its a dog eat dog business that we are all struggling to survive in!
Lastly don't trust your so called unions because as before in the past they will sell you up the river, unions hinder nowadays not help as long as there monthly subcription is coming in they don't care about your personel lives, and thats the same for our union too! good luck to all the BA staff and hopefully it will come good for you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

paul01942
8th Mar 2007, 06:13
Jarvis apparently BA did not have sufficient crew's to operate that flight, so they did what any other airline would do they ADHOC another to operate it, bit of an insult using FlyBe i know but you know how BA operates you have been there long enough mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (thats what we were told yesterday anyway):rolleyes:

G-FLYB
8th Mar 2007, 11:11
Paul

so they did what any other airline would do they ADHOC another to operate it, bit of an insult using FlyBe i know

As the FOD said previously Flybe and BA Connect are the same company now. Why would they want to adhoc anybody? They just use one of their own aeroplanes and crew, which happen to be painted in a different colour. How is it an insult to service your own route with your own aircraft? Why pay somebody else to do it when you can do it yourself?

airfrump
8th Mar 2007, 16:44
Do you know that if you accept a new job within the 90 day period BA don't have to pay you redundancy - be careful

Scottie Dog
8th Mar 2007, 20:53
Quoting airfrump - "Do you know that if you accept a new job within the 90 day period BA don't have to pay you redundancy - be careful"

Quite correct, I got made redundant 5 years ago and was fortunate enough to have an potential employer who was prepared to wait a couple of weeks for my services. Otherwise after 17 years with my former company I would have lost out on quite a large redundancy payment. As it worked out I was technically unemployed for 1 day (New Years Day).

But be warned, some employers will do anything to get out of making giving that deserved 'farewell' payment.

Scottie Dog

stupot7783
8th Mar 2007, 21:48
We were basically told today that if we do not check in the Flybe services that are using the Emb 145's from 25th March we will not get our retention money and face disciplinary.

However they certainly gave me the impression if we leave anytime within the 90 days consultation period we will receive the basic severance but lose out on the retention payment.

There seems to be a great divide in who wants to learn the Flybe computer systems so it should be an interesting few weeks ahead.

No definate date was given though for how long we would be doing Flybe check-in/boarding.

red17
9th Mar 2007, 09:00
Treaclecat is talking the truth. Manx Regional provide great handling services for BACON. Flybe could do a lot worse than to use them.

aspaceman
9th Mar 2007, 09:21
There is no doubt that Manx Regional did a very good job for BACON. However, they belong to Eastern and Eastern WILL be the next target for a Flybe take over. Might as well employ a new third party handler now, so that you are not shooting yourself in the foot when you make the Eastern ground handling staff redundant in the future. :{

MancRed
12th Mar 2007, 12:59
"Swissport completed the pushback as BA do not have the correct equipment to push back a Dash 8 Q400"

Flt Ops Director, not sure where your getting your info from but thats not correct, in fact we weren't even asked if we had the correct equipment, I was told from a swissport employee that flybe wouldn't lets us handle it!

That what I mean by insult to injury, its bad enough losing the work and our jobs but we are contracted to handle BAConnect till March 24th so we should.

Now I am guessing you work for flybe?
can you explain?

Jarvis

MancRed
12th Mar 2007, 13:59
Thanks for your reply and explination, this information can now be used when this event no doubt happens again, it will make things a lot clearer for our staff.

Please note we will continue to operate as normal until the 24th March, I am not there to see your services disrupted for any reason.

please feel free to PM me if you want?

red17
12th Mar 2007, 14:08
aspaceman you got it wrong. How would it make sense to use another handling agent. MR provides other advantages to T3 besides handling. And you are ruling out any expansion of the IOM base

aspaceman
12th Mar 2007, 14:33
Red17
And who pray does own Manx Regional then eh? Is it not Eastern? Who is T3? I would like to see MR do the job because they are good - no need to be insulting! :rolleyes: But It will be a business decision at the end of the day

Be a good chap and edit your last insult out!

red17
12th Mar 2007, 14:40
T3 is Eastern, like BA is British Airways. T3 don't own Eastern. Manx Regional is a seperate company and all it has in common is that it shares some senior management. Its like saying Euromanx own Flight Support. So when flybe dispose of them then where will flight support go?? LOL :ok:

Opssys
13th Mar 2007, 08:48
As a long time observer of BA and LHR Unions treatment of Regional Ground Staff, my views are as follows:

Whenever there was a problem at LHR the Unions would 'demand' support from the regions, however whenever a problem at one of the regional airports the Heathrow Unions appeared uninterested.

This was compunded by Managment who 'hardly noticed' their regional assets unless it was time for a round of cost cutting.

With outsourcing now almost a religious mantra in UK Industry, it was perhaps inevitable that Ground Handling in the regions would be a target awaiting the right moment

The takeover by Flybe of BA Connect, as this provided from the company viewpoint the ideal opportunity to 'tidy up' the entire situation.

Perhaps the only surprise is that they didn't bite the Gatwick bullet at the sametime, although I suspect they are next on the list.

Finally a very long time ago when I and my then team spent a week at the NEC we had many reasons to be grateful to BA BHX for providing the BHX end of our support lifeline.
During this short period I learned enough of their situation as a station to realise their problems were effectively ignored by the Company and from their (gaurded) comments, that this appeared to apply to most other regional airports on the BA network.

As they obviously cared and from observation provided excellent service both in the terminal and on the ramp (as well as providing help 'above and beyond' to us cuckoos) this seemed a short sighted approach by Management.

Good People should matter, high standards of service must matter, but it appears Companies never learn the cost, until both have gone.

HZ123
13th Mar 2007, 09:28
Cannot agree with you entirely as another long term observer. The BA ground staff at all UK airports have always been a militant bunch usely trying to hold the company to ransome. I would say that they have had a very good run for their money and it was clear toa all that their roles were time expired. Many sections at LHR / LGW have been 'tuped' yeasr ago and the same unions you mention did nothing for them either. It is only a matter of time before LGW find themselves outsourced as many of them think that BA owes them a living. Sad times.

Mister Geezer
13th Mar 2007, 10:46
Arived at MAN on Sunday afternoon and had to do a double take when I saw a member of Swissport staff driving the jetty to the door. Perhaps BA were so short of dispatchers they needed a hand or perhaps the changeover is slowly taking place?

Best wishes to all the BA ground staff who have been affected. From those dispatchers who I have chatted to it seems as if your treatment has been nothing short of shameful! Hope you all find greener grass!

MancRed
13th Mar 2007, 11:22
Swiisport have been employed for a number of years to meet BA aircraft and put the jetty on if required they actually have a name there called "teds"

Opssys
13th Mar 2007, 12:13
Re HZ123's post
Cannot agree with you entirely as another long term observer. The BA ground staff at all UK airports have always been a militant bunch usely trying to hold the company to ransome. I would say that they have had a very good run for their money and it was clear toa all that their roles were time expired.

From your profile your in a better position than I to observe the recent state of play (especially that not seen by the Customer).

It is only a matter of time before LGW find themselves outsourced as many of them think that BA owes them a living. Sad times.

i agree ir is a matter of time before LGW is outsourced and I accept that it is probable that many (and I think more prevalent in some sections/departments than others) BA owe them a living.

But from 1987 (Airtours Re-organisation) closely followed by the BCAL Ground Handling integration and subsequently the elements of DanAir.
Gatwick has been through 'interesting times'.

After such a series of 'major events' any organisation requires time to recover (say two/three years), but for 20 Years Gatwick staff have been an almost never ending cycle of FUD (Fear Uncetainty and Doubt) over the future that has impacted all Departments, whether Engineering, or Ground Services, or Passenger Service .

This sort of 'cloud of endless concern' saps morale and motiviation and is passed along to new staff within a short time.

There were several times when 'stong leadership' and a positve direction from management could have reversed this and many individual managers did indeed try, but then changes in the Gatwick Strategy would undo their work.

But it appears there is a clear Corporate Strategy and that is to outsource, so even if Gatwick was entirely staffed by Highly Motivated Company People, then it wouldn't really matter as the Bottom Line (even with the different contracts for different staff doing the same job) means outsourcing looks better on the balance sheet.

airfrump
13th Mar 2007, 14:00
Red 17 you are talking absolute tosh. I can guarantee that Manx Regional is a 100% wholly owned subsidiary of Eastern Airways.:D

red17
13th Mar 2007, 14:38
Can some one please clear this up... who is going to be handling the combined BE/BACON operation in MAN??

aspaceman
13th Mar 2007, 14:53
Red 17

You have edited yesterdays post today :=

aspaceman you got it wrong. How would it make sense to use another handling agent. MR provides other advantages to T3 besides handling. And you are ruling out any expansion of the IOM base
Last edited by red17 : Today at 14:36.

To quote yesterdays - 'I have got my facts right mate'

Any expansion of the IOM base will be by Flybe. Euromanx are the first direct target and Eastern will be next. They will shut up shop in the IOM and a new 3rd party handler will be used. Business is business - people don't matter. Not how I would like to see it but how it is. :(

MancRed
13th Mar 2007, 14:54
I Think Manchester Handling are doing the checkin/dispatch and Ringway Handling the ground

red17
13th Mar 2007, 15:12
Eastern are a totally seperate diffrent business model from FlyBe. Why do you think they would be interested? J41's are not what flybe would want

airfrump
13th Mar 2007, 16:21
That may be right but they compete on almost all of Easterns routes. And Mike Rutter (flybe Chief operationg Officer) was quoted in the Aberdeen Press & Journal saying that he is specifically targeting Eastern Routes.

groundhand
13th Mar 2007, 16:21
BA have, for at least the last 15 years, regularly gone out for quotes for ground handling at their UK regional airports (i.e. not LGW and LHR). The quotes are always for all BA GH. All the big boys have quoted numerous times.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Swissport NCL are the only GH agent handling BA mainline in the UK and this is an historical issue going back many years from the formation of NorthEast Handling with ex BA staff.

Richard Taylor
13th Mar 2007, 16:40
Airfrump:

Only route Flybe compete with Eastern on out of ABZ is LBA.

Unless Flybe are planning an all out assault soon.

red17
14th Mar 2007, 08:55
Is intresting idea but can't see FlyBe providing the business class service with the same schedules that Eastern provide. Eastern and FlyBe both compete IOM - BHX although BE only have one flight a day...

racasanman
14th Mar 2007, 10:21
I thought this thread was about BA ground staff in the regions, not about who owns eastern or which routes flybe may be after or am I confused? I just hope Tesco staff don't bang on about taking over Asda or undercutting Netto I couldn't handle anymore of that.

red17
14th Mar 2007, 10:41
Thats a point.. Started because Manx Regional handle BACON. Just have to wait and see what happens there. Good luck to the rest of you what ever you choose to do

airfrump
14th Mar 2007, 14:52
Also Lba - Sou, Bhx-iom And A Few Others And Soon To Be Inv - Sou, Inv, Bhx And Inv - Man

Dash-7 lover
14th Mar 2007, 21:03
airfrump and red 17!!!

MancRed
15th Mar 2007, 12:57
Hear Hear couldn't agree more:ok:

J-Man
15th Mar 2007, 22:22
Comment deleted

MancRed
19th Mar 2007, 11:12
Finace manager who produced figure of £850 per shuttle turn around is due to meet unions on wednesday to prove his figure correct,
word has it he is way off the mark but we will see.

I hope all stations have been doing their figures for the union reps to produce?

If BA are proved wrong and we can compete(with aviance) but they still won't budge, I hear its off to the share holders to show our case from a financial point after all BA are after making money not losing it.

Does anyone know if the money being paid to regional staff is coming of the profit already made, thus making the ERP not hit its mark for a pay out?????

MancRed
19th Mar 2007, 22:53
Latest is the finance bloke won't be there, have BA bottled it? they know they can't prove were too expensive :mad:

marlowe
21st Mar 2007, 10:35
Jarvis making out a business plan to BA is a good idea but a waste of time! Once BA get a plan in its head it just does it regardless! you have to except that BA want to outsource its Handling, It makes things so simple for them no dealing with unions, no department to run internally no cost to them except the agreed contract cost with the handling agent, then if things are not going as they wish, threaten said company with not renewing contract and put contract out to tender, hence they have total control over there ground handling BUT without all the hassle that goes with internal handling. Its sad but BA internal ground handling is dead .

stupot7783
23rd Mar 2007, 11:43
Well in BHX from Sunday until June 5th when all ground work is handed over to Swissport, the BAR groundstaff will just be boarding/arriving 5 ERJ 145's and 2 ERJ 195's so we have had to learn the Flybe Shares System and check-in is optional if we choose to learn it. Which will benefit anyone wanting to go to Flybe/Swissport.

Interesting times lie ahead and hopefully a severance agreement will be reached ASAP so we can start moving on!

Are there any other regional staff elsewhere been told whats happening to them yet?

MancRed
23rd Mar 2007, 14:42
Well in MAN from Sunday we will no longer be handling BAConnect/Flybe Just Maniline and our 3rd party stuff plus any RJ100/146 aircraft as they are BA City flyer... All overtime has been canx....just got to get on with it with what ever staff are on duty even if there is not enough:=

red17
23rd Mar 2007, 15:04
Manx Regional Boarding and meeting flights with Flight Support check-in for LGW and MAN. Flight Support running the show for BHX and SOU when it starts, sounds like it could get messy... lets hope not.

GroundBunnie
24th Mar 2007, 13:09
Last day today at BRS. Should have been a clean break, and everyone taking their redundancy packages and moving on, but for some reason we have to go in on Tue,Fri and Sat for the next 6 weeks to handle GB BRSTFS FOH only. All ex-BACON routes gone as base closed, and all the other 3rd parties now with Servisair. Anyone from GB know why we have this extended death?

GB

Railgun
24th Mar 2007, 13:39
Its probably because the notice of the ending of the ground handling contract was only given to GB on the day of the BACON/Flybe deal. Therefore the notice period has to be worked.

GroundBunnie
24th Mar 2007, 22:43
Railgun

I know the 60 day notice has to be worked, but why have the other 3rd parties, AirSouthwest, Eastern and Brussels been subbed off to Servisair, instead of working the notice. Their notice period would have been the same.

On Tuesday, there'll be 10 staff in the terminal to check-in and board one 320. Totally over the top. All everyone wants to do is take the money and move on

GB

stupot7783
25th Mar 2007, 20:39
What a morning I had today! First we were late to board the first Flybe flight due to lack of communication of who was actually doing it, swissport or BAR. Turns out we are boarding/arriving all the ERJ 145 movements.

Its hard to explain how today was apart from a communications shambles between BAR/Swissport/Flybe but hopefully we will all have learned in time for a busy shift tomorrow.

I only wish we had also finished yesterday cos it is hard seeing all the changes and dragging us through it all is just causing people more emotional stress on top of everything. Bring on the 5th June!

MancRed
29th Mar 2007, 23:38
All gone quite been on holiday for a week or so what's the latest???:confused:

marlowe
30th Mar 2007, 20:34
Edgehill, Willy doesnt care how the pax are being treated they are not BA pax anymore they are Flybe pax or other carriers pax, The regions are no more, the only pax that they care about are pax that are willing to go through London. As for BACON well none of the ground handling staff ever took it seriously, well it wasnt real BA was it? the times that it took groundstaff 20 mins to get to the stand to offload pax, or there being no ground power available, or even after being told on approach that wheelchairs would be required they never appeared and staff saying "oh we were not told" perhaps if you had cared more about pax then????

GroundBunnie
31st Mar 2007, 09:19
Still getting an average of 20 pax per day arriving at BRS to get extinct BACON flights. Even though we're closed, still having to handle disgruntled pax who booked last October, and claiming that no-one had told them.

GB

manxbudgie
31st Mar 2007, 09:24
Marlowe

Dont tar every airport with the same brush the handlers on the IOM both when they were BA (3years ago) and now as MR were always polite punctual and proffessional shame that like so many others they were dumped on by the likes of WW

marlowe
31st Mar 2007, 12:40
hmmmm thats why it was called plastic BA by groundstaff then!

marlowe
31st Mar 2007, 15:07
Edgehill ,you assume that i have no sympathy for the situation you and your workmates find yourself in, well i have! but travelling around as i do, i see the way that BACON was treated by groundstaff over its existence, EDI being a prime example time and time again GPU late to the aircraft, groundstaff late to the aircraft, no pushback crews available cos the Mainline A/C will be pushing back in an hour so cant be late for that!! It would happen day in day out so it was not down to problems on the day, but was institutional in the thinking of the staff. BHX was slightly better but was always living in hope that the Airbus might turn up again!! Be honest how did you perceive BACON when you were doing your job? was it as a legitimate part of BA or as a stop gap measure until BA came to there senses and put real aircraft on the routes!!! I am truely sorry the position that you are all in and hope you all find jobs soon .

bermudatriangle
31st Mar 2007, 16:31
Marlowe,the BA staff in the regions have been subjected to continuous cuts in manning levels.never enough staff rostered on duty to handle the operation,running from flight to flight,dealing with off schedule arrrivals and departures,numerous Bacon cancellations and all the ensuing problems as a result.of course we can be on stand for 20 minutes without a sign of groundstaff,but they were busy elsewhere.remember they deal with many movements and problems,not just our arrival or departure.the wchr situation is a disgrace,again as a result of rock bottom price cutting and insufficient staff to do the job.the whole passenger experience has deteriorated over the last few years and if costs continue to be addressed with such vigour by management who don't care about passengers,despite all the company hype,things will only get worse.we now work in a business which is no more than airborne bus travel,regardless of the fare paid,everyone is treated as if they are flying for next to nothing,which certainly is't the case.BA ground handling is by far,the best in the UK...when it is gone from 7June 2007,just be prepared for the shambles which will replace it.things will get much,much worse.

GroundBunnie
6th Apr 2007, 11:36
Edgehill

We should have been dead at BRS, but we keep getting pax turning up for non-existent flts. 4 more this morning, all of whom booked their tickets thru lastminute.com. lastminute were told, as everyone else was, that all BACON flts ex-BRS were cancelled as of 25Mar, and they were told that on 06Mar, but lastminute, and some of the other internet agencies, have neglected to tell their customers.

So not only no flts, but the pax turning up are all (understandably) very angry and it's worse than pre-25Mar, because we have no alternatives, all the accounts with transport companies have gone, and all we can tell them to do is contact the agency themselves. BA.COM are helping, but you know what it's like trying to get through to them

GB

marlowe
12th Apr 2007, 06:25
Edgehill the BRS groundstaff have nothing to do with anything that might be going on elsewhere in the regions, they were set up by Brymon/Citiexpress to self handle BRS and so they have no transfer rights to LHR/LGW or any other airport or division in BA.

GroundBunnie
13th Apr 2007, 22:41
Marlowe - you're partially right. Some of the guys are moving to LHR/LGW on mainline contracts. It's undecided yet whether they keep continuation of service.

There is no TUPE, and have no contact with the ex-BRS crews as we're only there on Tue/Fri/Sat, and the crewroom is deserted, so don't know where they're having to go.

Some of the guys will be going to EXT with Flybe, jobs that pay more than BACON ever did!

GB

marlowe
15th Apr 2007, 19:38
GroundBunnie how is that happening? Are they going as external applicants to BA? Because there is no right of transfer, because if there is for the groundcrew then the Cabin crew based in BRS are not going to be happy bunnies.

GroundBunnie
16th Apr 2007, 09:53
Marlowe - have sent you a pm - GB

HZ123
17th Apr 2007, 08:36
From Cranebank we understand that there are 90 ramp staff joining WCargo.

stupot7783
17th Apr 2007, 11:36
At BHX we have ramp staff heading to LHR Ramp and World Cargo, Pax Services staff are also heading to LHR Euro Fleet and Long Haul secondments, Customer Service and Ticket Desk positions.

Swissport have started interviewing our staff for their positions, Flybe have been recruiting for Ground Service Agents and some staff have just left with their basic severance package.

We stop handling Eastern Airways from May 10th leaving us with Brussels Airlines and five of the Flybe embraer 145 hull movements still.

The end is slowly creeping closer while our unions still negotiate a good severance package for us all.

red17
17th Apr 2007, 13:52
Edgehill form what I have heard the situation is the same in IOM. BE pax are not happy with the way they are treated by the new handling agents. Speaking to several pax, this seems to be common.

Goldilocks95
17th Apr 2007, 16:01
im ezy ground crew at brs and it amazed me at first th number of ba pax coming 2 buy tickets from us as they hadnt been told. we had a lady with a baby and she had 2 buy an ezy ticket 2 get 2 edi and then she was over her baggage allowance and starting panicking when we asked her for her photo id. my supervisor felt sorry for her so we let her offf the excess and she found an id lcukily as we couldnt bend that rule.....its really quiet without ba being at the airport it feels like its just ezy there now!

MancRed
18th Apr 2007, 11:23
In the pack we got from BA it said that if you don't inform them by 8th May that you don't won't TUPE to NEWCO then you will be transfered to them on completion of the deal, any one know if this is true? as most other timescales in same booklet are not happening as per....

:ugh:

GroundBunnie
20th Apr 2007, 07:03
Goldilocks

The reason EZY BRS are getting pax who haven't been told, is that they booked their tickets thru a 3rd party agent, like Expedia or lastminute.com. BA told Expedia and the others all the BRS flts were canx on 05Mar, but Expedia haven't told any of their customers.

GB

Addition - 2 pax turned up this morning for BRSEDI on BACON, they'd booked on lastminute.com, who were told on 05Mar that BACON BRS was closing, and lastminute.com hadn't passed on the message. All we can do is tell them to call lastminute for a rebook, or go to EZY.

MancRed
20th Apr 2007, 09:18
:ugh: finally reaching the end of my tether going for my 1-2-1 today
any advice any one?

Railgun
20th Apr 2007, 18:54
I have not even had a 1-2-1 yet. They keep threatening with imposing them but have not done anything yet.

MancRed
24th Apr 2007, 16:37
Just heard that the June 5th handover to aviance is to be extended, don't know when till mind you

Railgun
25th Apr 2007, 13:39
MAN staff date for TUPE is 11th July.

MancRed
26th Apr 2007, 07:39
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

anotherspaceman
26th Apr 2007, 08:24
Having been in Edinburgh several times now under the new flybe I can only say what an improvement there is in the ground handling now. I accept that BA ground handling felt they were understaffed/resourced and overworked and I feel sorry for those whose jobs have been put in danger, but from a customer point of view we are now receiving a much better overall level of service.

CheekyVisual
26th Apr 2007, 08:40
Sorry to have to say this because I do feel extremely sorry for the individuals involved BUT I don't fear going to EDI anymore now that we are not handled by BA.

However, coming back to BHX if you are informed Swissport are involved is a very traumatic experience ! Peanuts monkeys say no more - actually that's not fair. Peanuts - people who don't give a toss cos they are not paid enough to ! Pax at BHX will be voting with their feet if this continues.

stupot7783
26th Apr 2007, 10:36
Just checked my payslip and theres no retention pay or profit share bonus in my pay packet.

Talk about about kicking us when we are down, there was a lot of people looking forward to that extra money and there will be an uproar in BHX now it hasnt been paid!!

stupot7783
26th Apr 2007, 10:45
Just been informed there was an admin error in BHX and our first part of the retention pay will be going into our banks on Mon with the profit share loyalty bonus the following week, then the next part of the retention pay coming at the end of May.

But I will believe it when I see it!!:*

merlinxx
26th Apr 2007, 10:45
This is not a text phone site, please learn to spell, any SLF/SLC reading this forum will be shocked by your spelling.

MancRed
27th Apr 2007, 00:13
Well MAN have got their money correct the our "loyalty bonus" has been paid this month.... w.....ankers I have had enough thinking about topping myself or maybe taking TUPE not sure what is worse........................any advice:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

MancRed
27th Apr 2007, 00:17
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

bigmustard
27th Apr 2007, 08:33
Jarvis

Now I am sure you are not serious but......... no job is worth that. We all make mistakes in life and that would be your biggest - also you wouldn't be able to change your mind.

Take the TUPE and if you don't like the new company it will give you a bit of time to explore your options in another job.

Life is good, not a rehearsal - your a long time dead. :ok:

MancRed
27th Apr 2007, 09:02
I know thanks for the support, but I guess drink got the better of me last night seems thats happening alot at the moment,
As for TUPE think I will get shafted from aviance in no time, severance isn't worth a wan...k, so I guess it try to redeploy some where????
Still head banging mind you:ugh:
Jarvis

bigmustard
27th Apr 2007, 09:55
Jarvis
Now is the time for a steady head - I like my beer too but there is a time &...... etc. It is not now. You have to make your own rational decisions based on the best info you have at the time. Rational and beer don't mix. Aviance may well shaft you - then again you might get a pleasant suprise. If you don't give it a shot you will never know.
I have transferred to the new Flybe - its not all we had but it is not that bad either. There is a refreshing desire to get things done in a practical manner and improve things when needed. The people are alll very nice.

I say - give the tupe a go! If you change your mind then look out for something else but don't leave yourself unemployed. It is easier to get a job from a job.

Once you have made your decision life will appear a lot better - then you can have a beer!

Unsurity is not pleasant for anybody - you are not on your own

You will be suprised how pleasant life can be outside of BA :ok:

Good luck from someone who has suffered it several times before.

MancRed
27th Apr 2007, 11:42
Thanks for the support bigmustard will have to chill out a little....:D

just found out BA wanted to sign with aviance today before the consultation period has finished, BA were told unions are going to the NSP's to advise that BA are giving work away while they still have staff employed at the respected stations and the sh*t hit the fan, all enhanced serverance offers were withdrawn, unions talking at the BATUC meeting being held today with senior BA managment...lets see what happens????

things must be bad Bev Bennett was in MAN yesterday trying to tell everybody that whislt your doing a great job putting a case forward to keep our jobs its all in vain and that the end was near, nice try love but its not over till the fat lady sings as they say:=

jameseyre1
27th Apr 2007, 12:55
Where did you hear that Jarvis?

My missus works for BA at MAN...it seems comms are not BA's strong point as the only place we can find info on what's happening is places like here?!

They were given a handout yesterday with the 3 severance options, TUPE, etc, but how can anyone be expected to decide what to do when the figures haven't been agreed with the unions?!!

Any updates welcome!

MancRed
27th Apr 2007, 13:10
James. There is a forum for serving BA staff,lots of info on there daily, I got some of my info from that the rest from my T&G rep

PM me if you want the address:ok:

mansp
27th Apr 2007, 13:20
Jarvis

Glad to see your not banging your head at the mo!!
I worked for Aviance for many years and to work for they are not a bad company, sure i had a moan every now and again, but who doesn't?
I say give them ago mate, they might even offer you something very nice if they want your experiance.......

good luck fella

MancRed
27th Apr 2007, 13:26
mansp, i'm not saying there a bad company to work for, my only concern is that they will change my pay and T&C's quite quickly due to them being better than their current staff and I might as well find employment with BA at another location so that's protected saying all that not been given the chance to speak to aviance locally so not sure what their plans for any staff going over on TUPE guess I will reserve judgement until that time meanwhile the uncertainty is driving me mad

mansp
27th Apr 2007, 13:35
Yeah, get what you are saying Jarvis, not a easy decision no matter what you do really, got to be honest a dont envy you....
Get in the garden this weekend and have a few beers!!
Good luck mate

MancRed
28th Apr 2007, 20:36
I have decided i'm applying for every position available got my application forms for WW CC @Lhr 11 month contract and contact BA at Didsbury lets see what happens from there, no more head banging for now:ok:

MancRed
4th May 2007, 15:00
Has anyone heard the outcome of todays meeting at LHR between the unions and BA management, this meeting is supposed to be BA's last and final offer to regional staff for them to accept the giving away of our work.

Any news will be welcome good or bad.

MancRed
14th May 2007, 00:00
So because the deal is done you lot don't want to speak ?????
well I will tell you BA have got rid of all of us on the cheap with no publicity or rock all, it is disgusting familys ruined lives down the pan willie walsh and his clan must drink horlicks the bas*ards because I can't sleep .............. back to head banging sorry:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

HZ123
14th May 2007, 06:17
This may seem cruel but you need to get over it. Sections have been dumped at LHR /LGW for the last 20 years, also with little or no publicity. The sooner you accept you can then get on with your life.

Railgun
14th May 2007, 10:13
Yes the sooner it is all over with now the better. People need to move on and see there is more to this world than BA.

MancRed
14th May 2007, 13:06
I have accepted it, can't wait for the end, as for sections being dumped on @ LHR/LGW over the last twenty years there is no comparison to this particular situation but mark my words when willie comes knocking on LGW's door to do the same to them the publicity will be big....but not worth a carrot the unions have sold us down the river and will do the same to them it's only a matter of time:D

stupot7783
29th May 2007, 23:37
So as the final few days for most of us arrives, does everyone feel that we have got a good deal with severance and everything giving the circumstances??

I am a bit disappointed still that BA haven't been shamed more in the press for the job losses and pulling out of the regions but I suppose its a bit late now!

MancRed
1st Jun 2007, 09:35
Well I told you I would let you know what I was going to do well, I got offered WW CC this morning only a 11 month contract but gives me 12 months extra.....:)

Stupot.... Disappointed at lack of bad press for BA is a understatment they have got away with murder...the feeling at MAN is strange we have had a few move on to pastures new a few taking redeploment like me but mostly due to a lot have years of service are taking severence all in all everyone thinks thay are getting rid of us on the cheap.. are last official working day is 10 july we will be the last out station to go and guess what I am on lates that day so I guess I will turn the lights out on a great era..:D:D:D well done to all those staff who dispite the **** continued to give it their all to the end and good luck to all no matter what you persue

Jarvis769169:ok:

ps no more head banging I have give it up

spanishflea
1st Jun 2007, 12:31
jarvis769169 have many of you from Manchester managed to get onto WW CC?

Whilst many of the great staff at MAN could be described as "old timers" I have encountered a couple of enthusiastic younger guys in particular. I had a brief chat with one chap about my age who was working the Terraces one day who was talking about moving to WW CC (I assume you mean WorldWide BA, rather than bmi Baby?)

Glad to hear most of you are moving on reasonably happily, you have all been fantastic to me these last six months on my regular shuttles, connections, and insane trips! Even last week one friendly lady in the Terraces went above and beyond to sort out my First Class seating assignments :ok:

MancRed
1st Jun 2007, 15:49
Spanishflea, I am glad you enjoy our service so much, you will glad to hear around 40-50 of us all have been offered WW CC with BA so our service to you and many can be extended further, as for us being reasonably happy I wouldn't go that far but the service will still be as good :ok:

spanishflea
3rd Jun 2007, 08:50
Cheers Jarvis, that is good to know!

Seems like someone somewhere managed to vent his displeasure on one of the aircraft. Very nice! :ok:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1218518&size=L

GroundBunnie
4th Jun 2007, 16:08
Stupot/Jarvis

I've got the removal men coming tomorrow afternoon at BRS, and we hand everything back to the airport by the end of the week. I've been extended until 27Jun, just in case of any problems. Most of the staff seem to have found jobs, some with Servisair, both in the terminal and on Ops and Dispatch. I'm still waiting for something in writing, but have a couple of verbal offers. The back office here is looking a little bare.

GB

MancRed
4th Jun 2007, 16:16
Your still hanging in there well done, don't worry the right option will show its self soon and you can contine with your life, :ok: all the best and good luck

Jarvis

bruppy
4th Jun 2007, 21:40
Last day for many BA staff at BHX today, feel sorry for the way they have been shafted by all & sundry, those who have not decided to TUPE across were shown a good reason why that was a good decision today, some of them had finished shift & shared some wine in their crewroom, however the Flybe Ops manager (AM) decided that was not good enough & reported them to the TDM as "drinking in the concourse" What a knob!!!

Hope those are not staying find a better life outside of the hub, however expect to see many slowly return in drib's & drabs.

Good Luck all :sad:

stupot7783
4th Jun 2007, 22:54
It was a sad day at work today in BHX, lots of people are moving to LHR to work as crew or groundstaff, me personally I have decided not to join the "feels like your being exploited" ticket desk and I am going to work in load control for Swissport which is soon to have a new Station Manager from BA so hopefully we will see some improvements in the company.

I wish everyone well in whatever you choose for the future and hope it works out for you all.

MancRed
5th Jun 2007, 09:41
Stupot7738,
Any ideas of numbers going to cabin crew and have they heard when there training course is going to start,
Jarvis

stupot7783
5th Jun 2007, 18:51
Theres loads going to crew, about 100 I would say but not sure. Some have had SH courses already, some start SH on Monday and the rest start LH courses on August 6th+13th going on what people have told me.

MancRed
18th Jun 2007, 10:16
Looks like our courses for LH are going to be late sept or early oct, EDI who finish 19th June got there dates 10 & 24 sept we don't finish till 10 July.....:confused:

MancRed
2nd Jul 2007, 00:16
Not many days to go now we all finish at MAN on the 10th July very sad very very sad :ugh: all those who have been affected by this good luck in what ever you do......I am going flying not the beat of jobs but one that pays the mortgage, I will be sad to leave the lads behind and the friends i've made............... all in all pretty ******* **** really yeah that would about sat it all PRETTY ******* **** THANKS WW AND BB THANKS A ******* LOT..................

marlowe
5th Jul 2007, 08:18
Jarvis when you say your going flying and its not the best of jobs, i hope you are talking bout the particular company you are going to work for an not flying in general. I do realise that all the groundstaff have been through a tough time over the last 6 months, but if you are going flying as cabin crew then possibly an attitude adjustment maybe required? It is hard to do that particular role if you just look on it as a job to pay the mortgage. many people just look on it as an easy job, dishing out smiles with the drinks and many people then find its one of the hardest roles they have done!! I wish you all the best in your flying "job".

MancRed
5th Jul 2007, 15:04
Jarvis when you say your going flying and its not the best of jobs, i hope you are talking bout the particular company you are going to work for an not flying in general. I do realise that all the groundstaff have been through a tough time over the last 6 months, but if you are going flying as cabin crew then possibly an attitude adjustment maybe required? It is hard to do that particular role if you just look on it as a job to pay the mortgage. many people just look on it as an easy job, dishing out smiles with the drinks and many people then find its one of the hardest roles they have done!! I wish you all the best in your flying "job".

Think you have got me all wrong........I say its not the best job that's due to the fact I have a young daughter and will be spending time away and not seeing her grow up.......the company is BA Worldwide LHR......as for attitude adjustment.....I know we have been through a lot since Nov 4th 06 but that want stop me from excelling within the cabin crew role my attitude is good.....I know it will be a hard "flying job" and its not to just pay the mortgage (but that will help) its staying with a very good company even after all the **** thats happened I would still rather work for BA than any other company.....I wish you all the best in what ever job your doing
Jarvis

HZ123
5th Jul 2007, 15:42
Jarvis you will get plenty of time off. At least you are only 32 a number of staff that have come from the regions for CC look as if they are 52 and it will be a sharp shock to them. FYI a number of GLA (16) females completed their course this week and said it had been good fun, you may find yourself on an internal CC course.

MancRed
5th Jul 2007, 15:57
HZ123.. thank for that I know what you mean I am out of 73 from manchester nearer the lowest age than the oldest average age I would say is 45....I hope your right about having lots of time off that would be great..saying that it could be 2 months before we even start our course so could be sick to death of home life by then might need a break;)
don't know about a internal course friend of mine went on a EF course last month 5 weeks and very hard work but you never know
cheers Lee

HZ123
8th Jul 2007, 12:10
It may be a couple of months as in the next few weeks a majority of CC Line trainers are required back on line. Thus from August onwards the courses will virtually cease until mid September. 200 people from outside have had their start dates postponed, so as you can imagine they are not to happy either. As for the course you will find it to be a long day but as you are internal you will be very much aware of the type of course it is and how BA work. Just get into it and I am sure you will enjoy. CC traners run very smooth courses unlike many other sections within BA.

lovethesky
8th Jul 2007, 20:42
what have ba said to all the people going to lhr ww, with reagrds to what they will offer you when u finish cabin crew after 11 months#????

MancRed
8th Jul 2007, 21:43
what have ba said to all the people going to lhr ww, with reagrds to what they will offer you when u finish cabin crew after 11 months#????

They have said that the offer on the table now will still be available after the 11 months,
i.e enhanced severence offer or find re-deployment
Jarvis

MancRed
11th Jul 2007, 12:56
Well had my last shift last night all very sad :(
the last out station is now closed I turned the lights out and locked the doors.......lets just hope our paxs don't suffer long delays...

lovethesky
15th Jul 2007, 13:43
of course they will!!!!
it is already well known amongst us crew and the pax that aviance are turning out to be a pile of sh*t!!!!!!!! they couldnt give a dam about ba or its customers.
the scottish press have been slating ba and the new levels of service ect ect.
but according to management all is fine in the regions!!!:ugh:

TURIN
26th Sep 2008, 00:01
Sorry to reopen an old thread but yesterday the majority of Manchester's remaining ground staff, IE Engineers, got the bullet.
22 out of 33 will be looking for work by Christmas.

We could do with a bit of hard info reference enhanced severence package as we suspect we are going to be shafted with a much poorer offer.

Any help would be appreciated. PM me if that is easier. :ok:

call100
26th Sep 2008, 07:29
Not in a Union???

TURIN
26th Sep 2008, 09:26
Not in a Union???

Yes, UNITE. Formerly AMICUS who notoriously let engineers at MAN down when the hangar closed in 2002.

This time private solicitors may be the best way forward.:(

HZ123
28th Sep 2008, 08:33
I would not put a great deal of hope with lawyers. Most companys Human Resources/Personnel have already passed all their actions through a legal department before they advise the staff. Good luck.

silverstreak
28th Sep 2008, 17:40
The unions are HOPELESS...

They take your money each and every month but when it comes down to the wire and you need some 'help', they are NOWHERE to be seen. All talk at political conferences, all talk on the news and all talk on the picket lines.

What a shower of :mad: they are!