PDA

View Full Version : Landing incident at FAJS with Egyptian a/c?

greaser
3rd Mar 2007, 07:06
Heard a story in North Africa that an Egyptian aircraft carrying their football team had a near miss arriving into ORT, can anybody give us details

121,9_za
3rd Mar 2007, 10:36
Ummmm, no. It was just a standard go-around.

3rd Mar 2007, 19:21
Ummmm, no. It was just a standard go-around.

You're joking, right? Since when is a go-around at ORTIA a standard thing? It always gets investigated, people (ATCOs) get suspended and banished to clearance delivery for the duration of the inquest.....and all that when it was just a "standard go-around"?

Define "standard" for us won't you please, because its standard everywhere else except at JNB.

bluebirde2000
4th Mar 2007, 09:00
The Captain had to go around as per the ATC Controller instructions as there was another landed aircraft on the runway and did not vacate the runway on time.

makeapullup
4th Mar 2007, 10:31
You're joking, right? Since when is a go-around at ORTIA a standard thing? It always gets investigated, people (ATCOs) get suspended and banished to clearance delivery for the duration of the inquest.....and all that when it was just a "standard go-around"?

Define "standard" for us won't you please, because its standard everywhere else except at JNB.

It hasn't been like that for ages. Little out of touch are we?

I'm not saying though that those times aren't on the way back!

Cheers:(

V2+ A Little
4th Mar 2007, 17:42
Sad, that an incident like that gets a controller in trouble. Altough this incident involved a landing a/c, makes me think of the previous thread with the 'fully ready saga'. Runway ocupancy in JHB is a big issue! I have twice heard the tower tell an a/c to roll now! Something that has to be addressed by the drivers. Fully ready is not a bad idea perhaps ....

Pux
31st Mar 2007, 02:00
two things:

one, you dont get suspended for initiating a go-around for a landing aircraft if the preceding has not vacated in time. thats just good safety practice. (and preceding landing pilot should be clobbered):ouch:

two: runway occupancy is a big thing!!! and most airlines play the game of getting off the landing runway or rolling as soon as they are cleared for take-off. but every now and then a slacker "strolls" unto the rwy and causes havoc for the rest, especially during single runway ops.

please all, lets all play the game safely and expeditiously!:ok:

BlueSkye
2nd Apr 2007, 05:15
There is also the insurance angle to consider in a suspension. ATC has one or two go-arounds and then a serious oopsy and "Insurance-Broker-Of-Your-Choice" says nah, we're not gonna pay it, no we ain't gonna pay it, we're not gonna pay it any more.

BOK2GO
2nd Apr 2007, 08:31
Do you guys in Joburg not use "land after"?

I.R.PIRATE
2nd Apr 2007, 10:58
...as in land after a short flight followed by an ILS?

BOK2GO
2nd Apr 2007, 12:56
In VMC by day an a/c can be given a 'land after' under certain criteria, such as braking action of the second a/c won't be affected, the a/c on final approach has the one on the runway in sight, etc
We do it all the time in FACT.

121,9_za
3rd Apr 2007, 07:02
No, we don't. On 03R the runway is at such an angle, actually looks very much like and upside down bowl, that if you touchdown - you can barely see the tower, let alone the aircraft ahead of you still on the runway. One of the conditions for the clearance is that the second aircraft continuously has the first insight until he is clear of the runway - and this is not possible.;)

BOK2GO
4th Apr 2007, 06:01
Now that's what you get when you build an airport on a mine dump. :ok:

Thanks mate.