PDA

View Full Version : From FAA to JAR

CJDRIVER
3rd Mar 2007, 03:56
Dear fellow pilots,

I fly a Citation Jet in the US. I have dual citizenship USA/Spanish and lately I have been contemplating converting my license to JAR. Could anyone give me and idea for what is involved in doing so? Time, money...does it matter where to convert your licence as long as it is a member of the EU? :ok:

Thanks!

CJDRIVER

F900EX
4th Mar 2007, 01:36
Have a read through the website of 'Orlando Flight Training'.

Very informative and should crystalize what you need to do.

Good luck.

4th Mar 2007, 04:04
Unless you have some serious heavy jet PIC time you will have to sit those 14 ATPL exams...

No way round it.

Do a search here..

oceanpilot
4th Mar 2007, 05:19
Below the text from the website given.
Analyzing this, would everybody agree? Other views please?

Option 2 looks easy but few pilots and no GA pilots will qualify with the 30000kg requirement. No need to look into this

Option 3 is nothing as one has to do the full deal except one has a JAA CPL already
but this is no conversion as one can bring the FAA ATP or burn it. No difference.
But one advantage still, Let’s say one has only a Spanish based JAA CPL. As I understand it, he must /should do the ATPL in his country, ???? true / false
Coming with FAA ATPL he can go to the UK to get his UK CAA ATPL or where ever he wants (in the JAA member states ) and gets some credit for the JAA CPL.

Option 1 is than the most interresting
500h everybody has
but with the CJ1 & CJ2 (part 23 below 5700kg)
or with a CJ3 (part 23 above 5700kg)
most pilots have lots of hours in single pilot aircraft and even in part 135 ops mostly flown with 2 pilots. Will this count?
How best to document and verify multi crew operation for the CAA.

Can somebody check JAR FCL 1 section F what it says to aircraft type and crewing

Ground exam in 14 subjects has to be done.

And still one needs some learning but buy or better ask a friend for a second hand distance learning course and go for the test. (the way the FAA is doing it)
And then do one check ride in the real aircraft or approved SIM

Big question, in which JAA member state to do it.???
Probably in the UK as FSI Sims are approved , it was always easier with FAA license in the UK than everywhere else.

AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOTS LICENCE (ATPL)
First Option
If you hold 500 hrs multi crew experience on a JAR 25 or 23 (type as laid down in JAR FCL 1 section F), hold a type rating on that type (A second in command certificate as issued by the FAA is acceptable), and will be doing your ATPL skills test on that type you are exempt from the whole Type rating course and doing any type of training for the ground examinations, you can simply just enter and sit them without any help, then go and do the skills test. Typical training providers for the type rating course here in the USA are Flight Safety and Simuflight. Although we do not get involved in the type rating course, we will assist you in locating a training provider.

Second Option
There is an option for a restricted licence which will allow you to start flying in Europe quicker. However there are some restrictions and requirements.
REQUIREMENTS: A minimum of 3,000 hours as pilot of public transport aircraft over 30,000 kgs MTOW on scheduled international or similar routes, a minimum of 1,500 hours of which must have been as Pilot-in-Command.
RESTRICTIONS: The restriction is to fly UK registered aircraft only. However, this may be removed if you go on to complete the remaining examinations within 18 months of siting your initial exams.
The course requirements are as for the first option, but you are only required to sit two written exams, which are Human Performance and Limitations, and Air Law.
Due to the restrictions, many airlines will not actually accept this licence and so very few people attempt it. However, some have completed this and gone onto job in the UK.

Third Option
If you do not meet any of the requirements, you will be required to complete a Ground school course, pass the examinations, and pass a JAA Commercial check ride wither by sitting the full approved course, or by completing training as required if you already hold an ICAO CPL The Instrument rating can be done by conversion if you hold an ICAO IR. This is a 15 hr course which must be completed in Europe.

All options require you to attain a Class 1 Medical for the JAA licence. This initial licence must be done in Europe, but if you have a UK issued JAA medical, then it can be renewed in Florida.

ant1
4th Mar 2007, 15:04
Big question, in which JAA member state to do it.???

I would definitely talk to the Portuguese CAA. Very friendly people over there.

I would definetely stay away from the Spanish CAA, wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

My 2cents