PDA

View Full Version : Best book for "Helicopter Instrument Rating" training and upkeep

Flyting
2nd Mar 2007, 15:16
Tittle says it all...

I'm starting the IF training and want to buy a good book for it...
Any suggestions...?

rick1128
2nd Mar 2007, 17:10
The two best I have found are the Federal Aviation Agency's "Instrument Flying Handbood' and even better is the US Army's 'FM1-240 Instrument flying for Army aviators' since it is more helicopter specific. I am at the same point in my heli flying and am working on this rating.

Good luck

Torquetalk
2nd Mar 2007, 18:27
Try the Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial Manual.

Costs about $80 and only seems to be offered on its own (as opposed to a DVD course) by one or two vendors. Outstanding: great images.

TT

Torquetalk
2nd Mar 2007, 20:35
And if starting fom scratch and looking at DVD courses and doing the FAA IR, check out the King course. Put over in a slow and incremental way by the Kings. Watch Martha's hair do change from topic to topic ;)

TT

Nigel Bullas
4th Mar 2007, 23:51
Rick1128: Where can I optain a copy of the US Army "FM1-240 Instrument Flying For Army Aviators"?

Adding to this post I would recommend the following;

"Command Instrument Rating" author: Airservices Australia AUS$76.45
www.airservicesaustralia.com (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com) / aviation online store / training / instrument

(This as a great fundamental IFR book which will teach you a wealth of information from human factors, weather, IFR takeoff to landing, a must have in your home library.)

"IFR: A Structured Approach" author: John Eckalbar US$35
www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com)

(Basically completes an IFR flight from start to finish on a AT11 simulator using a Beech Baron, and provides a wealth of flying information and tips on each of the instrument approaches. Also reaches you how to performance fly an aircraft eg pitch + attitude + configuration = performance. Is a good practical flying guide and if your company has a AT11 synthetic simulator, is a must to get.)

"Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual" US$23.07
www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com)

(I haven't read this book as yet, however appears to also provide a wealth of practical instrument flying tips)

R22DRIVER
5th Mar 2007, 19:22
I have watched the king videos and found them to be top notch! Martha's hair and the cheesy, comical acting at times does break up the show! Learned alot from them and i would definatley reccommend them.

I would also reccommend the Jeppessen Instrument/commercial book. It is expensive but is very well detailed and the pictures are really well presented.

I am using this book for prepearing my lesson plans for my students, and the pictures really help to open the eyes of the students when you place it down in front of them.

Just a tip, once you have your IR, keep reading and flying the sim!! After 6 months of not using it i was surprised how much i had forgot!

R22:ok:

rick1128
5th Mar 2007, 21:32
You can find the US Army Field Manual on the Professional Helicopter Pilots Assoc. website at www.autorotate.com.

One of the problem with using fixed wing material is that some of the techniques and requirements are different.

There is also a neat DVD that is usually sold on E-Bay on UH-1 IFR flying. It shows basic techniques in the UH-1.

Flyting
6th Mar 2007, 12:28
Thanks every one for the help... I done the first few lessons and am totally hooked...

Books on order and downloaded
:ok:

bluestack
7th Mar 2007, 00:39
I've got the Jep book which I rate and also the FAA flying handbook which is pretty good.

I found the Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual, to be a bit advanced for where I'm at, getting the fundamentals down..but I'm told the real benefit in this book comes from after getting the rating and working in the IFR environment.

Also don't forget to speed the King videos up by x2, get through it, ehh...twice as fast :ok: