PDA

View Full Version : Grumman Cheetah-can you see out?

jerrytug
2nd Mar 2007, 13:44
Hi guys again,compared to a glider,why the high instrument panel? I know there are worse but even so. If anyone has any tips (esp. Cabair ones) about good/bad points including what happens if you actually DO spin then thanx X Jerry.:ok:

Martin @ EGLK
2nd Mar 2007, 14:04
The higher panel would be for 2 reasons:

1. More instuments to display as a norm
2. Can't see over the engine anyway.

And if you're planning on spinning a Cheetah, make sure that you've done everything you've ever wanted to do in life beforehand - You'll never get another chance to do them!

Haven't flown one for 15ish years but, from memory, the view's ok (better than a PA-28). It's easy to handle, etc.

Worst thing is the front wheel. It's relatively weak & will limit the grass fields you can go to.

High Wing Drifter
2nd Mar 2007, 14:20
The AA5A's aren't certified for spinning. Not sure about the Bs or Gs.

I'm surprised you picked on the AA5. It has superb visibility including the best forward view of any Cessna or Piper that I've flown. It is one of the few aircraft I've flown where it is still possible to see the ground over the nose in a Vy climb. Sure somebody hasn't knicked the cusions?

Ni Thomas
2nd Mar 2007, 15:11
"And if you're planning on spinning a Cheetah, make sure that you've done everything you've ever wanted to do in life beforehand - You'll never get another chance to do them!"

What a load of bo**ocks!
They are not certified for spinning nor should you attempt to spin an AA5intentionally, this does NOT preclude one from safely getting out of a spin 'by conventional means' should you be so stupid to have got yourself into one in the first place.

RatherBeFlying
2nd Mar 2007, 19:27
I loved the visibility, handling and the extra knots.

Do watch out for the nosewheel -- the leading cause of AA5x writeoffs, like the one I used to fly:{

They have good range for a g/a SE, but with the itty-bitty flaps will float a loooong way down the runway if you approach at the full gross approach speed after a long flight:\

Also full tanks and three men can put you over gross as I found out on a check flight. Watch that weight and balance.

Paat
2nd Mar 2007, 21:10
I own/owned a part share in a AA5 and I would agree with all the posts here, it is a great aircraft to fly, handles well and is a good tourer.

However, do head the warnings about nosewheel and float:

A couple of years ago one of our syndicate members bounced on a grass strip and collapsed the noswheel. He was unhurt but the aircraft was "grazed".

Then late last year a new syndicate member floated on landing and overshot the runway. Thankfully he was ok but the aircraft was a write off so I am currently awaiting an insurance claim!:{

Take a look at http://www.grumman.net/cgrcc/aa5.html for a full review and note the handling section!

jerrytug
10th Mar 2007, 13:40
Hi guys ta for replies,just the sort of gen,lucky enough to have been offered a few hours on this type,it WILL recover from with normal proceedure yea or nea? Cheers Jerry

Newforest
10th Mar 2007, 16:08
This is probably the group with the answer, the Grumman Gang.

http://www.grumman.net/

Yankee
10th Mar 2007, 18:41
A little advise, don't go signing up to the Grumman Gang and ask the same question, it's been done to death over many years. Go to http://www.grumman.net/archive/ and enter "AA5 spinning" and look particularly at posts from a R Levy who is the AYA's ( American Yankee Associattion) www.aya.org , safety director. I think all your question will be answered.
Land rather than arrive and the nose leg is no problem.

Grummanaa5
11th Mar 2007, 17:20
If you wish to see the nosewheel take in action, have a gander at this:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm28dr_kFR0

AA5 Traveler

Astral_Flyer
12th Mar 2007, 00:31
When I learned to fly(at Goodwood) the AA5a was the aircraft I preferred over the usual stuff. Coming from the Glider fraternity into power I thought (like others have said) that this aircraft offered the best all round visibility and performance that suited me (along with a really good instructor).

The float was the most difficult thing to get used to. In fact my first solo was in light winds and it floated on and on, so much so that I chickened out and went around as my nerves gave up.

Paat Said: "Then late last year a new syndicate member floated on landing and overshot the runway. Thankfully he was ok but the aircraft was a write off so I am currently awaiting an insurance claim!"

I do hope that wasn't the aircraft (G - OSTC) that was based at Goodwood that I used. I gather that it went into a syndicate at White Waltham

Astral

Yankee
12th Mar 2007, 09:16
Grummanaa5

Nice take, specially the landing. Is this your video or did you just come across it. If yours would be very interested in how the camera was mounted as would love to do something similar as is does show what the landing attitude should look like, just right initially, but nose wheel allowed to drop, (very common in the small elevator Traveler) a tad too soon, IMO.
PM me please.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Mar 2007, 09:27
The float was the most difficult thing to get used to. In fact my first solo was in light winds and it floated on and on, so much so that I chickened out and went around as my nerves gave up.

The only reason an aeroplane will 'float' is because the approach was flown too fast. 'Floating' is just dissipating the excess speed before she'll touch down. But at least it demonstrates a properly held-off landing tecnique by the pilot, not the 'bang it down flat' tecnique so commonly seen at GA fields with nosewheel aeroplanes, so full marks for that.:)

SSD

bonniejack
12th Mar 2007, 14:02
Go to personal flying videos (sticky at top of Private Flying Section) last page and down to GrummanAA5 for his high tech solution to mounting the camera.

LowNSlow
12th Mar 2007, 15:41
I don't think the noseleg is inherently weak but it is effectively an undamped spring. Bang the nose down and it will bounce back up before coming down again. If it survives the first bump a bit of throttle will soften the next blow...... Lack of ability to land on the mains first and an instictive need to keep the weight off the noseleg (good practice for all trikes as you all know and do :) ) is what makes Grumman owners reluctant to let hirers take them into grass fields with any hint of undulations.