PDA

View Full Version : Flying around USA

Jonasraf
1st Mar 2007, 22:14
Lets say one wants to go to USA and fly around the country to build hours. What can I expect regarding FBO and handling agents. Do I have to use them or is it a option.

And also what could I estimate the handling price for H-300 or R-22.

Any good advice regarding a trip like this would be great.

Regards,
jonasraf

Baldegret
2nd Mar 2007, 10:57
Jonasraf, I've no idea about self-fly hire costs, but as a Brit who lived and flew my R44 in the States for 5 years, I would say you are going to be amazed by the freedom to fly and the lack of landing fees or handling costs. There are literally thousands of municipal and other airports (almost invariably non-towered) where you can simply arrive and park overnight on the ramp. No landing, parking or handling fees. Fuel either self service from the pumps using a credit card or delivered by a bowser. Friendly and helpful people for the most part and spectacular flying. The only time I have paid FBO fees is somewhere like San Diego and then it was a reasonable $40 (or thereabouts) which I don't think is bad for an international airport. Even at the larger airports where you have to park at an FBO they will often waive any fee if you buy fuel. Nothing like my experiences at larger airports in the UK! Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info. My flying was largely in the south-west although I spent some time in Florida as well.

HOVERJOCKI
2nd Mar 2007, 11:23
Hello Mate. I live and fly in the USA. I have done a few cross countries east to west and north to south and its pretty straight forward. Like the other guy said there are virtually no charges at most airports, especially the class D and E airports. You might come across some overnight fees at some of the more posh/classy FBOs like Million Air, Signiture, Atlantic but that is usually waived if you buy a certain amount of fuel.
Here's a great tool i use for my flight planning especially if i have to go long distances www.airnav.com. The aviation fuel section is where i start to plan the route and go to the PLAN A FLIGHT WITH FUEL STOPS. Just punch in starting and ending points for the whole trip, the type of fuel you are going to use and any special airport requests if any then hit shortest route or cheapest route, the next page will ask you the distance per leg then find route.
When you choose your route, all the airports will be highliteded and click on each one, which will then give every piece of information you would possibly want from Frqs, approach plates, fuel prices and FBOs on the airport, nearest hotels and current metars and TAFs.
Hope this helped.
Safe trip mate
Justin

SASless
2nd Mar 2007, 14:00
Look for the small places with fuel....usually they will have a vehicle of some sort for loan. Usually they don't charge for the use of it....be the good lad and fill it up with petrol for them to at least what it had before you used it.

The beauty of flying in the USA is you do not have to "book" in or out. You don't have to call the airport you intend to use....just call on the radio for joining the circuit. With a bit of planning....the only radio calls you have to make are those at the departure airport and the destination airport. If you file a flight plan then perhaps opening by radio.....always close it by telephone with FSS. It takes just a minute but ensures it is closed out.

File a VFR flight plan....call Flight Service every 30 minutes. Get the toll free phone number for Flight Service and get the weather and notams then file the flight plan. There is no requirement to file a VFR flight plan but it does help to alert someone in case you have problems. If the place you rent the aircraft has a toll free number....flight follow with them by telephone. That way they know where you are and how you are getting on and thus they will be more at ease while you are away from their location.

If you really plan right....you will only hit grass airfields or those without a control tower....then it is really fun flying. The people you meet at the small places are usually the most fun. Hit the big places and you are just another small aircraft that has to be dealt with and will be seen more as a nuisance.

Lord Mount
2nd Mar 2007, 17:17
I heartily concur with all the above comments.

I am presently hours building and although I am based in the UK I don't fly here.

I save up my pennies then fly to the US to really enjoy my flying.

The last time I was there I worked out that the money I had saved after three hours flying in the US compared to what three in the UK would have cost, paid for the trip over the Atlantic & back. Which means that after three hours I'm saving money.

I have found that the Americans think of flying as a means to get from A to B and does not depend on Who you know, what tie you wear or how big an aircraft you fly.

I have always been made very welcome at all the airfields I have visited, even the busier tower controlled ones. I have never been charged a landing or handling fee and, as stated above, have even been given the free use of a car to visit local towns etc.

All that has been expected of me in return is common courtesy and politeness.

You will have a great time if you decide to part with dollars rather than pounds for your flying.

Presently looking to return there in April myself.

LM

rudestuff
3rd Mar 2007, 07:21
having flown all over the northeastern states, landing at perhaps 100 airports, the only time I can ever remember paying for anything was a landing fee at Pittsburgh International which was about 3 quid.
You'll be amazed at how easy everything is over there - americans use planes like they use cars - on a nice sunny day you can just take off THEN decide where you want to go. Most airports have courtesy cars and if not, most hotels will send a free shuttle for you if you're overnighting. I believe Millionaire at richmond has a Jag X type free to pilots, and there is a Mercedes at hannover. Lots of FBOs at big airports are like palaces - all marble with gyms widescreen TV, almost all have internet access. I even went to one in South Carolina with free buffet. allegheny county has some smoking hot girlies etc etc. maybe someone should start a 'best fbo' page?

biggdav
3rd Mar 2007, 09:28
Agree with all. Done PPL in states and was great. Like others said you just turn up at airport, land, fuel up and away you go. States are miles ahead of what we have in UK!! US has to be the best country to train and fly in!!!:D :D :D

TheFlyingSquirrel
3rd Mar 2007, 11:05
I got charged $15 to land at Key West once on spring break, and $25 at East Hampton - all + parking. This was 8 years ago, so + inflation, just be sure you check that a fee applies in the flight guide before you make your decision - they do exists for sure.