PDA

View Full Version : TCAS

787dreamer
1st Mar 2007, 07:17
CX / KA pilots:

What's the altitude at which the TCAS warning is suppressed? And do you know if it depends on the TCAS system / company policy?

Thanks for your replies.

787dreamer
2nd Mar 2007, 17:34
Thanks Silberfuchs,

If you don't mind, can you comment on the following scenarios:

1. Rwy 07 in use, a helicopter lifted from GFS to Silvermine (very common), i.e. tracking E bound then SE bound, and will climb to 1500 ft. Just shortly after, you depart from 07R, will the helicopter be considered as an intruder based on the TCAS algorithm (speed difference & changing relative positions)? Will it generate a TA or even RA (after fulfilling the abovementioned criteria)? Is it your company policy to file a MOR even for a TA?

2. Rwy 07 still, a helicopter lifted from GFS along the highway to the Toll Plaza (E bound) and climbing to 800 ft. When the heli is about 3-4 nm upwind (5-6 nm from your psn), you're cleared for takeoff 07R, during the climbout, will there be any TA?

3. You're on ILS 25R, a helicopter at 500 ft crossing beneath your glidepath at 5 nm, left to right, i.e. there's still 1000 ft separation even if you are directly above that heli at 5 nm, will there be any TA during the descent from, let say, 15 nm down to 3 nm?

4. A couple of nights ago, there was a ship (that's what we believed) in the Victoria harbor squawking a strange code, even our radar display didn't show the altitude, but only a target with that code. There were a few departures reported TA after passing PORPA, and considering they were a few thousand feet above, I'm wondering why would that happen.

And if you have other nuisance TCAS warning experiences, feel free to share.