PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines

HurryUp&Retire
28th Feb 2007, 20:17
Please do not yell at me. I searched the search functions but no useful information on Singapore Airlines was found. It is my understanding that they have a base at LAX.

1.What ACs are based there?
2.What is the typical trip like?
3.How senior is LAX?
4.What is the pay like for FOs and CAs?
5.What are upgrade times?
6.How good are the retirements plans?

Any info will be useful, thanks a lot

HU&R

kk pilot
1st Mar 2007, 01:40
- There are one or two 744 Capts left there (mainline only I think) - after they retire, that's it - forget about being based anywhere but Singapore. Thus all trips start/end in Sing with that exception for those Capts (and the remaining London and Oz based Capts) - commute is impossible to US

Assuming bonus, $(US)180k+/yr is reasonable on all fleets for a Capt - FO is maybe around 55 - 60% of that but the vast majority (all?) of mainline FO's are locals - I have heard Cargo is way overstaffed and has quit hiring for awhile, not real sure of mainline plans - A380 delivery drama keeps 'em guessing

Upgrade for local FO's is 8 - 10 yrs. I don't think they even hire expat FO's for mainline - I've never flown with one

There is no retirement plan for expats - do your contract and adios - and living in Singapore is not cheap

HurryUp&Retire
1st Mar 2007, 02:02
KK pilot

thanks for your help

Left Coaster
1st Mar 2007, 02:40
Mostly right... but Cargo is not WAY overstaffed! They have just finished a redo of the scheduling rules for the dept and it's become more efficient by at least 30 to 40%. Mainline is actually the part that IS overstaffed, (B744 only) but that's due to the A380 delay. Cargo won't need pilots until the summer (only maybe) and the numbers work for now. Hope this helps;)

portquartercv67
5th Mar 2007, 09:28
H U & R,

If you come from an ALPA airline in the US, keep in mind that your monthly guarantee at SIA Cargo will be S$14,000. (salary plus housing). The balance of your pay is flight hour and per diem. You essentially take a pay cut to go on vacation or when you are sick or have training. Seems as if there is a training event almost every three months. So when you read the terms and see sick leave. It is not "paid sick leave". If you have to drop a trip for being sick, you are out the money. And it is not "paid vacation" in the sense that you probably are used to. And as far as bidding for line of time, trips etc... forget it. You get what they give you. I believe every three months you can request a trip but no guarantees and has to be done far in advance.

That's a brief snapshot of what is different. What is the same though, is that if you show up for your trips on time and don't step on your johnson, you are left completely alone. Nice.

PQ