PDA

View Full Version : Zambia - License conversions/validations & Jobs

pilotezulu
28th Feb 2007, 11:48
Mulishani / Mulibwanji fellow Zambian aviators / others ---

I did a search and didn't seem to find anything concrete regarding this topic. I was wondering if anyone knew the process of obtaining a validation / conversion (preferably validation for Zambia I suppose) to work & fly in Zambia?

I've been doing some digging and I know the DCA can be quite slow in responding and not very clear about what it takes to validate a license. The license conversion is for a CPL(A) + ME/CIR.

That said, what are the job prospects to work for charter companies in Zambia? What does it take to get a work permit being a pilot? I know there are some occupations which they are pretty tight about, but I'm not sure how easy/difficult it is to get a work permit for pilots. What kind of hours are companies looking for?

I've always dreamt of working there --- hear about lots of scenic flight down in Livingstone, bush flying out west in the Luangwa Valley area and now in the newly developing mines in Kansanshi / Solwezi north-west of the Copperbelt.

I'd appreciate if someone with knowledge of this area could kindly shed some light on this.

Thanks!

pz :ok:

Gooneybird
28th Feb 2007, 13:01
Hi, in general if you can find a job your employer will deal with license conversion and visas etc...

pilotezulu
1st Mar 2007, 10:58
gooneybird, thanks for your reply. i was doing a little more digging and found this thread ...
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65507

Does anyone know if this still holds? NdekePilot / anybody still around? perhaps it'd be nice to get some current info on this.

cheers!

Insane
1st Mar 2007, 12:55
As of my last visit to Zambia in Jan '07, they will give you an initial 3 month validation. After the initial 3 months, depending on experience, you will be required to get a Zambian Licence which requires a written air law exam, Medical and flight test..

pilotezulu
4th Mar 2007, 04:02
sounds pretty straight forward for a conversion... im sure the air law exam in zambia isn't too complicated.

does anyone know where one can access maps for zambia? i know the company that does the WACs in South Africa, doesn't print WACs for Zambia. I have some ONCs but they were printed back in early 80s and haven't been updated since.

well, hopefully flying in zambia is going to be fun!

manamana
4th Mar 2007, 08:56
Pilotezulu what is your experience? Any turbine time?

pilotezulu
5th Mar 2007, 07:53
Currently working on ME+CIR, should finish with about 265 Totals by May 07. Have been considering a caravan endorsement and plan to be in Zambia in May this year.

PM me if you'd like more details! cheers.

manamana
5th Mar 2007, 10:07
pilotezulu, I sent you a PM, then my system crashed, did you get it?

pilotezulu
5th Mar 2007, 12:11
sure did. cheers. check your pms.:ok: