PDA

View Full Version : Any flying in Jervis Bay?

bcfc
28th Feb 2007, 07:59
I'm going to be spending a week or so in Jervis Bay next month and wondered if there is any flying in the area. I'm just thinking of hiring a SEP with an instructor to make it legal and doing some sightseeing.

I've googled but nothing is coming up - although Google Maps shows a lovely bit of asphalt just south of the town.

Cheers
-bcfc

No Further Requirements
28th Feb 2007, 08:47
Go to
http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/ersa/FAC_YJBY_23-Nov-2006.pdf
The aerodrome is owned and operated by the Royal Australian Navy and prior approval is required.
Lovely neck of the woods though - hope you enjoy it.
Cheers,
NFR.

Kickatinalong
28th Feb 2007, 10:17
You could go a bit further south to YMRY and then someone could bring you back for a look, as for landing watch out for the Kanga's there are 000' . Don't like your chances of getting permission to land.
Kickatinalong.:=

Zhaadum
28th Feb 2007, 10:36
Fly in on a Sunday and no one would know. Our military Australia wide will be still recovering from there weekly pissups. No one on duty on many bases after 4pm Fridays.

Just don't tell the terrorists!! SSSHHHH!!!!

Z.

baffler15
28th Feb 2007, 11:03
"Our military Australia wide will be still recovering from there weekly pissups."

And civilians DON'T get on the gas during their weekends?

The Baffler:)

Feather #3
28th Feb 2007, 11:14
Go north to Albion Park, Illawarra Regional Airport [YWOL] and you can hire a/c there.

G'day ;)

bcfc
28th Feb 2007, 16:00
Thanks all. I think Illawarra looks the best bet (although at 90+ Ks, its a bit of a schlep).

Only 28day, 8hrs, 27 mins and 30 seconds till we arrive (not that I'm looking for it at all :) )

RogerRamjet01
1st Mar 2007, 00:23
Try Albatross Aero Club, based out of the bottom of the Museum of Flight (which itself is located near the main gate of HMAS Albatross). Wonderful, long, wide runways :) and a generally beautiful place to fly. Folks at the club are friendly too. They operate a couple of PA28s and a C152, last time i was there (couple of years ago).

Dont have their number available but am sure the museum will be able to tell you what it is. You will want to call ahead and book aircraft, because competition for aircraft is tight, due in part that the club only operates on weekends.

havick
1st Mar 2007, 14:28
As mentioned in the above post, Albtross Aero Club is definately the go. I recently posted our of HMAS Alba-trough to RAAF Pearce, but I know that plenty of civvies fly with the aero-club there, and they have reasonable prices.

Otherwise your next best bet would be to goto Albion Park (40min drive north of Nowra) and fly with AAP.

Any questions PM me.

capt.mofo
10th Jun 2007, 09:54
Why is it that both Nowra and Jervis bay Airfields are off limits for Civillian Private flights?
Tax payers pay for these fields yet arn't allowed to use them. Sure they can argue the terrorism threat but last I checked we had to pay for very expensive ASIC card to stamp out this sort of thing - or was that a waste of taxpayers cash also.

I have tried several times over the years to land at either and every time some military big wig tells me 'no - not allowed under any circumstances'. Or my favourite so far was from Jervis Bay - some tosser told me that 'if you try to land here you will be shot down!'. It was said in a joking fashion sure, but hardly the attitude that I deemed appropriate for the defence force to take with a civillian asking for a simple answer.

My family live in Jervis Bay, I have a commmercial license and a CIR and would love to visit more often (and get an ILS recency at the same time) but the nearest field is albian park!

More pressure needs to be applied on the defence force to allow publicly funded airfields to be used by the public. After all they have two in the area and there are no publicly available fields close by. I will be writing to several MP's and the defence force in regard to this issue but would be interested how many others are out there who would like to also use the fields.

Islander Jock
10th Jun 2007, 11:45
It's a shame it's come to this. I actually did my traing up to GFPT at a flying club that was based at RAAF Pearce. It was great to have the whole field to ourselves on a weekend. Unfortunatetly it was screwed up by one or two individuals who thought it would be fun to walk along the flight line with their cameras taking photos of the RAAF aircraft parked there. That little event saw us kicked off base quick smart but I suspect the RAAFies were looking for an excuse anyway. One of the guys caught taking photos now flys F18s :rolleyes:
It's not just landing at their bases that gets them all precious either. I actually arranged a clearance to transit the RAAF Pearce restricted zone during their activation period and was merrily flying along still in contact with their Pearce Centre controller when a PC9 does a speccie intercept of me and positions himself off my left wing. He then cames up on the radio and calls centre saying there is a civilian aircraft in the zone. The reply had me laughing for the next half hour "Viper xxx - yes and he's operating on a clearance direct to Bindoon - if you attended or listened at briefing you would be aware of that" bwwwwaaaahhhhhaaa!!!!!

havick
10th Jun 2007, 11:49
Capt Mofo.

A lot of civvie aircraft fly in and out of Nowra all the time, I have seen many firebombing helicopters stop in for fuel etc that has been pre-arranged.

capt.mofo
10th Jun 2007, 12:08
Havick - So I am told often. However, every attempt I have made in trying to get approval has been shot down. They have asked if I am a commercial operation before but as soon as they hear 'private' I get shut down straight away.

helopat
29th Jun 2007, 11:44
Cap,

I sympathise, but if you want to conduct operations to Nowra, its really just a matter of contacting ACC (iaw ERSA) and planning to operate (also IAS ERSA). There are often people in on weekends from outta town and lots of folks operate from the aero club. Jervis Bay airfield is strictly military...even WE need to get an approval number to operate down there (why? because its completely fenced in and there's not getting in our out without prior arrangements being made)...JBAF has no approaches, no lights, and generally isn't all its cracked up to be.

PM me if you're getting nowhere in terms of approval to come in and out of Nowra.

HP

havick
29th Jun 2007, 12:03
capt.mofo

Helopat is definately the guy to be speaking to if you are getting nowhere with approval to fly in-out of Nowra..