PDA

View Full Version : KAL Interview

airbus2boeing
28th Feb 2007, 07:48
I just recieved an invitation for direct entry FO interview with KAL on April 21 to 26. Who's going with me?

DeltaSix
28th Feb 2007, 09:55
When did you send your application in ?

I only sent mine last week so, I don't think I'll be picked by April.

Good luck though

D6

climbout
28th Feb 2007, 11:45
Hi guys,

do you already know anything about the conditions of service?

Salary etc., thanks!

airbus2boeing
28th Feb 2007, 18:18
I sent my apps October last year D6.

airbus2boeing
28th Feb 2007, 20:35
Let me make this clear before I get tones of PM;
I don't know anything about the contract, upgrade, way of life, etc,etc. with KAL, I'm attending the interview to find out all these.
All I know is they fly blue airplanes :}

DeltaSix
28th Feb 2007, 21:00
Know a little bit about the salary but that's about it. I'm an expat and it seems we get more than the locals however, they don't give retirement pays.

I don't know anything else about the T & Cs. I guess we'll have to ask current serving expats.

D6

cob400
1st Mar 2007, 10:39
Hi Guys, I am an expat Capt. going for an interview in April. Is there anyone with info on sim check, and interview, what type of questions, I know the medical is tough. Anyhelp and sugestions out there? Thanks

Tintin
1st Mar 2007, 17:54
Any idea when they will hired on the 330???

Capt Chambo
1st Mar 2007, 19:09
cob400 what fleet are you interviewing for? If it's for the 737 then I might be able to help.

ringer
5th Mar 2007, 20:37
who do you go through for an interview???

DeltaSix
5th Mar 2007, 21:22
I think it's Rishworth Aviation

galdian
5th Mar 2007, 21:40
For info IF the same contract companies are being used as for Captains there are 5 that I know of - Rishworth, Euro, IAC, GAP and CCL.

For Captains comparisons Rishworth were the worst payers per month by some US$ 300-400, CCL ad GAP the best.

ringer
5th Mar 2007, 22:21
who is Euro, , GAP and CCL???? whats the websites?

galdian
5th Mar 2007, 23:03
Euro Pacific, Cambridge Communications Limited, GAP (not sure, US I think.) google should help.

ringer
5th Mar 2007, 23:51
whats the Cambridge Communications Limited website???

galdian
6th Mar 2007, 00:24
not sure about website, email: [email protected]
have fun!

airbus2boeing
6th Mar 2007, 11:15
You are one lazy lad, go search google instead of asking everybody here.

Slim01
6th Mar 2007, 18:51
www.gapaviation.com (http://www.gapaviation.com)

duckbelly
7th Mar 2007, 11:44
For those of you going for the interview, had one last month for the NG...

Medical was pretty thorough, they did some tests I didn't know existed.

Sim was fairly straightforward: Normal T/O, followed by VOR approach, all on AP, visual above the minima, then landing with crosswind. EFTO, back for SE ILS and GA, finish with vis circuit. AP can be used pretty much all the way through. RTO, and that's about it.

Interview was low keyed, important thing I was told was to speak slowly and clearly. Why do you want to work for Korean, what do you know about Korean etc

I learnt a few Korean phrases, 'Good morning', Thank you etc etc. They seemed to really appreciate that.
Got offered the position about a month after.

Good luck!

airbus2boeing
7th Mar 2007, 19:25
Is this for Captain slot duck?

MatchaLover
8th Mar 2007, 04:21
Airbus2Boeing,

What type of PIC time and type rating do you have? I am thinking about the KAL job but I am not familiar with the FO requirements. I believe they reguire a 744, 777, 330 or 738 type + PIC 500 in type. Can you confirm?

Thanks!

At www.gapaviation.com (http://www.gapaviation.com) they have some of the KAL T&Cs.

duckbelly
8th Mar 2007, 13:15
Yup.
They have various start dates, May, August and October are the ones I've been given so far.
I think they are fairly flexible regards starting.
Seeya

ringer
8th Mar 2007, 18:27
is there any chance of an upgrade if you go in as FO on the 747-400
?

cotoperi1
8th Mar 2007, 23:02
KAL
I'm a Canadian Resident and I'm interested in knowing how things work. ie:taxes, schedules and days off, would they give you flights to Toronto knowing that you live there? Any other information that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Capt Chambo
9th Mar 2007, 01:55
Varies slightly between agencies, but most/all quote you a salary after Korean taxes have been paid. The Korean tax element can count towards a tax credit in your country of residence, but that will be something that you will be responsible for.
Can't really help you with schedules as it's going to depend on which fleet you are applying for. But broadly speaking you get 9 days off in a row plus 2 days leave plus 2 days to travel. This should ensure that you get 11 days off at home. You can take up to 7 days leave at a time in addition to your 9 days off, but you would have to pay them back later.
You can live in Toronto if you choose, but if KAL do not fly there more than twice a week then you will only be positioned to, and from, the nearest airport on their network.

cotoperi1
9th Mar 2007, 02:44
Thank you for answering so soon. I have a question for you. I applied for the 747 position. Do you know how many days on (working) before you get your days off? By any chance, do you know what the percentage is off your income taxes? Any tips for the interview?

Thank you

Capt Chambo
9th Mar 2007, 06:05
Can't speak with any authority about the 747, perhaps someone else will dive in later.
Basically if you are off for the 11 days a month and you are commuting for 2 (might be 3 for the 747 fleet) then you are available for work for 18 days in a 31 day month. You will work most of those days with obviously your legal days/time off between trips.
I don't have an answer to your tax query, a Google search will throw up the Korean tax offices website and you can work through that.
At the interview you will be asked why you want to join Korean? What do you think of Korean and Korea? How do you feel your Sim ride went? There might be some technical questions nothing too heavy. They will ask you a few questions about yourself. Speak clearly and slowly, and you should be fine.

PosClimb
9th Mar 2007, 06:40
During your interview, be sure to ask the Korean interviewers to explain "Fan Death".

Then re-think if you want anything to do with these people...

airbus2boeing
9th Mar 2007, 14:43
matchalover,

I don't have PIC type rating but I have SIC 744 type; no PIC on type required if you're applying for FO slot; I have about 2000 hours on a 744 and 7000 TT

secret agent 86
11th Mar 2007, 10:59
cotoperi....I think you will find that the Korean and Canadian Governments have hashed out a new tax treaty at the request of the Canadians. I believe that from 2008 you will be liable for Canadian tax if you reside in Canada. That makes what was a good deal....an ok deal. You will be fine commuting from YYZ as in addition to the pax sked which is twice a week in winter and 3 x in summer...they have at least 3 freighters a week via ANK. Korean has it's problems..but you will find many reasonably happy Canucks there. Good luck.

ELAC
11th Mar 2007, 20:30
Korean has it's problems..but you will find many reasonably happy Canucks there. Good luck.

Actually, I think you'll find many Canadians looking for the doors, and a few cursing their timing in entering just as the tax treaty exited.

It's last call for most Canucks at Korean. Time to move on to a better party.

cob400
24th Mar 2007, 04:45
It Is for B744 Capt positions
Thanks anyone

bumba
16th Jan 2010, 17:00
... any information for the interview questions?

extreme P
16th Jan 2010, 18:10
Interview questions are straight forward. Maybe an ETOPS question, tell me the actions for a ground proximity alert, what are the actions for an EICAS message... Important thing is to speak slowly and as clearly as you can. Read the QRH about how a checklist and such is to be used as that is the correct answer. In Korea there is a question and there is an answer. The locals know both and as far as they are concerned there is no other way. Memorization is key.

george111
6th May 2010, 16:55
Hi all,

I am going to the A330NTR FO screening in June.

Has anyone any info. on this process and what I can expect in the Sim, interview, any other tests?

Thank you

B737NG
7th May 2010, 19:31
No there is no upgrading on any Fleet..... You stay where you are. If you apply as F/O then you stay as F/O.

I just run into a pal who told me that during the past 3 months the no-returns and the resignations have increased. F/O´s who joined in 2008/09 left again. Captains who joined during the past 3 years are on the run as well.

Ask yourself why.... and then rethink about your action. See another Thread here as well about the no show rate. That should draw a picture.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

Ace Springbok
7th May 2010, 20:22
If you don't need to be in KAL, by all means stay away. That airline really wears you down; things look good when you need the money badly, the free meal tickets ( sic ), the first class duty travel etc but before you know it you would have aged 10 years within 10 months! And God help you if you get into even a minor incident ( like miss an ATC call, miss an OM altitude callout whilst busy with ATC/checklist reading during a line check ).....you will be brought down like a rotting buzzard and unceremoniously dumped after some agonizing weeks of " inquiries and investigations ".

KAL is at best a stop gap measure.

A. Le Rhone
8th May 2010, 00:21
Nobody likes Korean. It seems you are resented for being there and subjected to double-standards when it comes to checking. Also, the duties away from home are far too long. Unless you are a single person who doesn't care about maintaining friendships with others, commuting with Korean it appears is a lonely, solitary and isolating experience. The likes of Parc, Direct and Rishworth (:rolleyes:) need to make that clear to KAL management.

If Korean actually allowed you to be based in any port they fly to more than twice weekly rather commuting from that port to spend 18+ days monthly in Seoul they may have more takers. However I would predict that unless they make the experience of being a foreign pilot with them more palatable then with the looming (and in fact starting to eventuate) aircrew shortage, KAL are going to be in dire straights. Watch for cancelled services and aircraft deferrals.

Toowoomba Taipan
8th May 2010, 00:35
Come here, get your ratings and OE thru' the NTR programme and then do a runner! Lot's of airlines will be looking out for type rated guys with 300-500 hours experience!

Imperius Rex
8th May 2010, 00:55
Wow, are you suggesting that KAL becomes a training ground like EVA churning out pilots for other SEA airlines?

Training in KAL sucks and you a FEW have Boeing Alteon instructors of dubious backgrounds trying to teach veterans how to fly. Tsk, Tsk,Tsk

Tipsy Barossa
8th May 2010, 01:36
Yep, some of the Alteon blokes really suck! One put a former RAF ace on a B777 course through no less than 6 crosswind landings because he claim the landings as hard.....KAL wants trainees to decrab during the flare and sometimes in a less than perfect manoevre, the simulator exhibits a bit of a ' twist '. Hey, this is a B777 quirk because of the long wheel truck with aft steerable wheels! Don't this fellas get it!

blues deville
8th May 2010, 02:09
"Unless you are a single person who doesn't care about maintaining friendships with others, commuting with Korean it appears is a lonely, solitary and isolating experience." A. Le Rhone

Communting for work in aviation has never been an enjoyable experience for anyone in any situation. However, how many commuters can say they always flew business class or better in their previous lives? And when they got to their designated base, did they stay in a 5 star hotel? I used to commute many years ago and had to plan my travel very carefully to ensure success. I do not recall using any 5 start hotel chains in the process either.

"If Korean actually allowed you to be based in any port they fly to more than twice weekly rather commuting from that port to spend 18+ days monthly in Seoul they may have more takers. However I would predict that unless they make the experience of being a foreign pilot with them more palatable then with the looming (and in fact starting to eventuate) aircrew shortage, KAL are going to be in dire straights. Watch for cancelled services and aircraft deferrals." A. Le Rhone

They do. Korean has two home base systems which are currently offered to bases in Europe, NA/SA as well as NZ. Those who opt for it think its great. Being a foreigner in any position can be a challenge and it's is no different at Korean.

Not sure how you connect services and aircraft deferrals to this discussion.

bd :cool:

A. Le Rhone
8th May 2010, 23:59
Sorry Blues, but just because this job is better than your last probably crappy job doesn't in itself qualify Korean as good! Many airlines position their crews in First Class and if you're commuting from far away perhaps this should be the datum?

Bottom line is that in spite of many ads globally the airline is having problems attracting qualified pilots.

If Korean make terms and conditions better they won't have so many difficulties. Improve the days off and allow crew to fly to and from any port Korean serves more than twice weekly.

If they don't make these improvements, sufficient pilots won't join and flights will be cancelled/aircraft deferred.

It's simple supply/demand.

blues deville
10th May 2010, 10:14
Well Le Rhone you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, there is not much point in arguing the finer details of employment at Korean as you appear to be quite well informed of the working conditions. How else would you be able to provide us with such informative postings such as this:

"Nobody likes Korean. It seems you are resented for being there and subjected to double-standards when it comes to checking. Also, the duties away from home are far too long. Unless you are a single person who doesn't care about maintaining friendships with others, commuting with Korean it appears is a lonely, solitary and isolating experience."

As well, I won’t bore you with the details of my previous flying career as it may pale in comparison to yours.

Have a nice day.

bd :cool:

A. Le Rhone
11th May 2010, 05:22
Fair enough Blues - valid point you raise.

Suffice to say the words were verbatim from 3 different folks who flew with and are very glad to be away from Korean. I was interested in the job with an open mind but in spite of many enquiries have yet to find anybody with much nice to say about the position.

Hopefully this will all change for the better soon, if so everybody (especially the airline itself) will benefit.

CROCIFISSA
15th May 2010, 13:49
Aquestion for people in the know...

If someone was to join KAL as an FO and leave (using the correct methods and procedures when leaving).....could they return as a captain someday?

also, if one was to go to the interview get the job and choose not to go, would that limit ur options for ever going back there?.....

how is the atmosphere at KAL for foreign pilots these days?

any info is appreciated..

thanks guys...

RG500
15th May 2010, 20:36
If you go to KAL as a F/O, it is a dead end job.
Why would you waste anytime, to wish to come back?
If you want to work as a Captain, get your PIC time elsewhere, then apply.
As to your other question, I have no idea why you'd go for an interview that you'd not consider taking? You're wasting yours and the company's time.

azlee_19
16th May 2010, 03:14
that's easy, he's going for another interview and was wondering what would happen if he got offer from both KAL and the other company. isnt that easy to figure out?