PDA

View Full Version : UK HEMS/Police

Loose_Cyclic
28th Feb 2007, 00:40
I'm looking for some info on flying Air Ambulance or Police in the UK, I'm currently flying in the GoM in a BO105, have about 4000hr FAA and I'm thinking about starting the distance learning course soon to convert to JAA. Will I need to get a JAA multi engine instrument rating for either of these positions? Also as I'm not looking to fly in the North Sea, is there any point doing the frozen ATP, would a CPL suffice?

Cheers :ok:

Brilliant Stuff
28th Feb 2007, 10:47
No you do not need an IR for either Police ops or Air Ambulance in the U.K. Sadly.
Don't know about the ATPL/CPL question.
Though I believe if you do want an IR later on for whatever reason then the CAA require you to have an ATPL.
All should be explained in here: Lasors 2007 (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)

Good Luck

MightyGem
28th Feb 2007, 10:47
There is no requirement for an IR for Police/HEMs flying in the UK. You will require an ATPL, but with 4000hrs why would it be frozen?

MightyGem
28th Feb 2007, 14:40
Ahhh...thanks for that. I was thinking of my CAA ATPL(H).

Bertie Thruster
28th Feb 2007, 14:42
flungdung, you can hold a JAA ATPL(H) without IR. See Lasors Sect A, P15.

Loose_Cyclic
28th Feb 2007, 15:21
Thanks to all that replied :ok:

Bravo73
28th Feb 2007, 18:15
Loose_Cylic,

Although you might have the right 'ticket', you might find that you struggle with some of the other requirements. I'm thinking of things such as a lack of low level experience (especially for Police Ops) or the lack of experience of JAA regs and requirements.

You might also find that UK airspace is far more congested than that which you are used to (there are an awful lot of people on this small island) and you might even struggle if you haven't been already been exposed to the UK emergency services culture/environment.

And, finally, to answer your NS question: yes, you would need ATPL theory. IIRC, the NS operators aren't really interested in 'just' a CPL/IR because there is no scope to promote you to Captain in the future. As already discussed though, a CPL will suffice for most Police work.

But the best of luck in your hunt,

B73

Bravo73
28th Feb 2007, 18:24
flungdung, you can hold a JAA ATPL(H) without IR. See Lasors Sect A, P15.

Bertie,

Isn't that just a hangover from the old CAA (ie National) system?

Under JAA (for the time being anyway), an JAA ATPL can only be issued if you are already in possession of an IR. See LASORS Section G3.4, para 1: ATPL(H) Skills Test. :8

Loose_Cyclic
28th Feb 2007, 19:19
B73,

Thanks for your advice, good advice is always appreciated, I'm originally from the UK, but have been flying in the States for six years now, I have flow in some of the busiest air space in the US, including the LA basin, I've flown in to racetracks when there where over 1000 helicopter movements in one day. I've several hundred hours of low level flying with a photographer hanging out the door and almost 200hrs of night. I don't have experience with the UK airspace or with the UK emergency services. I'm about to embark on the arduous task of converting my license as I'm sick of living in the States and want to return home to the UK. I’m not sure of the best approach to gaining experience and employment in the UK but have always been interested HEMS. I don’t expect it’s going to be easy or cheap to obtain a JAA license (I’ve done quite a lot of research into the process and costs) and don’t know what the job prospects will be like after, so again any advice is always appreciated, Thanks

LC

Bertie Thruster
28th Feb 2007, 19:55
Bravo 73 you are correct. One cannot be issued without an IR. But a national ATPL(H) can be replaced by a JAA ATPL(H) without holding an IR. (See chart on p15, Lasors Section A)

So flungdung's statement to Mighty Gem is not exactly correct;

It is possible to hold a JAA ATPL(H) without an IR.

Bravo73
28th Feb 2007, 20:27
That's true, Bertie. My bad.

I was silly enough to respond without reading the whole thread in detail. Soz. :O

And Loose_Cylic, best of luck with your hunt. Given your circumstances, you might find NS work as an easier transition into the JAA world. Do that for a few years then change across to onshore, single pilot ops. There is also currently a high demand for pilots on the NS, especially those with offshore experience. Has your GoM work been single or multi-crew?

Either way, it would be wise to sit the full 13/14 ATPL exams. It's a comparable level of effort/pain to the CPL exams but given your background, it should be quite straight forward to 'unfreeze' your ATPL.

:ok:

Lightning_Boy
28th Feb 2007, 22:16
Loose_Cylic, I would most definitely do the full ATPL exams if I were you. People I know have done the CPL, only to wish they had done the few extra exams. There are lots of employment opportunities in the North Sea at the moment especially with your experience. Plus the $$$$$$ is a lot better offshore than Police / Hems.
I've flown in the LA basin and know what you mean about BUSY airspace, don’t get much worse than that :E

If your gonna take the plunge, I think now is a good time to do it :ok:

MightyGem
1st Mar 2007, 19:42
Loose Cyclic, with the experience that you list, I can't see that you should have any trouble getting a Police/Hems job. I'm not quite sure what the experience with emergency services is that some posters allude to. The UK airspace is not that complicated; just don't cross a blue line on the map without talking to someone!!

The minimum requirements for Police flying are: 1500hrs rotary with 500 PIC overland(with a significant proportion of low flying). A minimum of 50hrs at night with 20 hrs PIC.

As said, these are the minimum, and there are one or two units who look for higher.

Oh yes, if anyone's wandering about the lack of posting from Thomas Coupling lately, his unit's been banned from using the internet apart from police business. :rolleyes: Hope they don't do that here!:eek:

Loose_Cyclic
1st Mar 2007, 22:51
Thanks for the positive feedback and words of encouragement, I'll look forward to working in the UK in 2008 :ok: