PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft and Crew Missing inbound Douala

Balmy
27th Feb 2007, 05:52
94.7 news this morning carried an item about 2 SA crew missing somewhere up Africa (between Port Harcourt and Duala if I remember right) on their way home

Anyone have any info?

LittleMo
27th Feb 2007, 06:34
I heard it was TM from WAT/SKY (formerly SpeedAir) at FALA. Apparently they were in a Seneca. Not sure of the details of why/what when though. Hope they'll be found ok. Thoughts with the families.

Mo

Auscoaster
28th Feb 2007, 13:22
Its was a Senaca. It left Lome on Saturday morning on route to Port Harcourt and that's all thats known. No other country had heard anything from them at all except Nigeria. They went missing on Saturday. It was on the radio on Monday. What i wonder is if anyone sent out search and rescue in that time:confused:

I.R.PIRATE
28th Feb 2007, 13:29
Allegedly: Cameroonian search and rescue teams are on their way to the site of an elt going off. Very inhospitable terrain has meant that its going to be a while until they get there. :bored:

Balmy
28th Feb 2007, 13:44
Ouch.......not nice....

Auscoaster
3rd Mar 2007, 06:35
Has anyone heard anything more about these crew and if anything has been found?

TooBadSoSad
3rd Mar 2007, 07:23
The partner of the engineer says that they have been missing for 6 days now and he is not hopeful. The aircraft had not flown for 3 years and was being recovered to Lanseria. Thoughts go to the families!!

B Sousa
3rd Mar 2007, 11:52
"The aircraft had not flown for 3 years"

In Africa thats a big Red Flag.

Balmy
8th Mar 2007, 16:03
Anywhere thats a red flag.....

Does anyone know if there is any news on these guys??

putt for dough
8th Mar 2007, 18:01
Well out of the Mojave desert that aint a red flag.
You know whatever flies outa that storage facility is well
sorted.
And no news on the missing yet.

Balmy
9th Mar 2007, 13:58
Were it me that was missing I would hope that someone would be out there looking???

Not nice?

WhinerLiner
22nd May 2007, 05:12
Looks like they have been found on the western slope of the big hill

Hope the families can get some closure now.

RIP Tony

Balmy
22nd May 2007, 06:27
Really a problem that it took so long........very bad for the families.

Wish we had a better way to do these things

Desperate Wannabe
22nd May 2007, 08:25
Yaounde - Six bodies have been recovered from the wreckage of a light aircraft that went missing in the west African state of Cameroon three months ago, a local journalist said on Monday.

The Cameroon transport ministry announced late on Sunday that a huntsman had discovered the shattered remains of a twin-engined Piper PA-34 plane on the western slopes of Mount Cameroon in the south-west of the country.

A local journalist contacted by AFP said "six bodies in a state of decomposition" had been found.

The plane took of from Lome in the west African state of Togo on February 23 bound for Johannesburg, and was reported missing after air traffic control at Port Harcourt airport lost contact, the transport ministry said.

Area sealed off

An investigation into the cause of the crash has already been opened.

"Following the discovery the accident area has been sealed off by local authorities, preventing access," the local journalist said.

"The huntsman himself has since been hospitalised and journalists are not allowed to talk to him," he said.

It was not immediately clear why the man had been admitted to hospital.

The discovery comes two weeks after 114 people died when a Kenya Airways Boeing 737 passenger plane crashed in Cameroon.

It took two days to find the wreckage, prompting criticism of the country's rescue services.

6 bodies, on a ferry flight, does not make any sense.:confused:
But then the media.........nah, nothing

Agreeed, hope all concerned and affected can get closure, my deepest codolences to all.

Life'sShort-FlyFast
24th May 2007, 14:11
My thoughts exactly! I hope that it is a journo who has it wrong otherwise I do not know how you take six on a ferry flight in a Pooper Sneaker!!? Condolences to the families and at leats they have closure.

Some years back there was an aircraft missing between East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania) with two Saffers on board. Was this ever found?

MrNosy
25th May 2007, 08:50
A press report describes the aircraft as a 'six seater' but quotes the huntsman as saying that there were two bodies in the wreck. The first post on this thread talks about two South Africans flying the aircraft so maybe the later press comments about six people on board are wrong.

oerlikon
25th May 2007, 22:16
I believe the aircraft involved in that accident was also a Seneca. I would also like to know if it was found.

Can any-one enlighten us?

flyhardmo
26th May 2007, 05:05
Can any-one enlighten us?

I live in Tanzania and there was a search but i dont think anything was found. rumour was, it was an insurance job or the plane ended up in Sudan. Too much Bull$h!t in this industry

Zenj
26th May 2007, 09:52
The one that I know was a Piper Navajo of Air Zanzibar and was being flown from Nairobi by its owner Peter Hendriks to its base in Zanzibar, we are told it also had a spare engine on board.

I was personally involved in the search and rescue and we flew on the intended track for about 3 days and also searched the slopes of Mt Kilimanjaro on the Kenyan side around Loitokitok.

It was eventually found to have crashed on the same slopes after few months had passed.

Never seen the report from TCAA on this accident, must be a good reason to check on it.

tired
28th May 2007, 19:30
Zenj - was that the Peter Hendriks who was based at FAVG during the early 80s? I hope not.

imarks
20th Feb 2008, 17:39
tired - Sadly, yes. The wreckage was actually not found until 2003, made possible by Mt Kilimanjaro's receding ice-cap.