PDA

View Full Version : PPL

gls.fly
26th Feb 2007, 19:56
Has anyone got experience/advice on completing PPL & hour building this time of year without visiting the US ... say somewhere in Europe. Any names of schools would be a great help.

LH2
26th Feb 2007, 20:47
Fly-in-Spain would be the standard answer I guess. Google it.

PlaneHomerS
27th Feb 2007, 06:50
I am going to do mine at Stapleford starting in April, 4-6 weeks for the PPL and then the hour building phase @ the start of summer straight after :)

England has the best airspace in the world, forget going elsewhere..;)

:ok:

gls.fly
27th Feb 2007, 09:13
Its not the airspace but the weather I m concerned about. I m trying to complete my PPL in the shortest time possible. Went to the US and didn t get on with style of teaching at the school, trying to find somewhere closer to home that wont be rained/fogged/snowed in for days or weeks.

I m looking for advice from people who have used the schools they recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help

tacpot
27th Feb 2007, 11:23
If you can describe what was wrong with the school you tried in the US, someone might be able to recommend another US (or Canadian) school with a different approach.
tp

gls.fly
27th Feb 2007, 12:48
Tacpot
My problem with US training
1. Distance... I had to rely on opinions of others and commit to training provider before visa application etc. because I could not visit beforehand.
2. Time.... I have family and business in Uk and would prefer to return during breaks in training
3. Quality... Preflight brief on the taxiway, post flight brief on taxiway to FTO.. young uninterested FI
Basically I would like to find a quality training provider based in Europe who can help me finish my PPL without being held up by the weather.... I guess in Spain, Southern France or any Med country.

phillpot
1st Mar 2007, 20:39
My advice for what its worth is to stay in this country, if you intend to fly over here get used to the weather theres no point in flying around in cavok all the time if when you get back here youve got to deal with all the pants wx we have here.
It might take you longer to get your ppl but the experience is invaluable also if you are hour building to go further eg cpl/ir believe me you will need bad wx experiece then.

tangovictor
1st Mar 2007, 23:00
i agree with phil