PDA

View Full Version : logging I/F time

dynamite dean
26th Feb 2007, 19:23
Now I am settled back into limey land here in JAA land I had a discussion in the office today I was speaking to a pilot with 5000hrs and 4000hrs of this he said he had as IFR time logged. Hell I though this guy has been living in a cloud!
Anyway , most of my flying has been done between 33S to 10N and they thought I was from pluto when I said I had only manged to log ten percent flight time. But what JAA pilot 's do is log IFR time; the length of time that you are on an IFR flight plan not the fact that you maybe in the clag flying the aeroplane. So now after 8 years of flying I am now having to start logging my IFR time in terms of operational time! And I thought I/F time was a measure of ability!

Be interested to here other opinions...

unmanned
27th Feb 2007, 06:56
I think SA Law also says that IF time is when you are manipulating the controls. Does that mean pressing the FMS buttons or turning the heading bug?????? Unfortunately there is no clear answer !

The next question with two crew who logs what? Most actual IF approaches are monitored so the captain never gets any IF time:confused: . Does any one out there know?

unablereqnavperf
27th Feb 2007, 09:46
This is all total nif naf and trivia, you can log what ever time you wish but if you over estimate it will become imeadiatley apparent when your in the simulator! In europe most pilots log all IFR flight time as IR time it realy isn't that important, what is important is your ability to drive the aircraft when you can't see out of the window! After spending many years driving (manipultating FMGS and MCP) the Scarebus I got a shock when converting to the LEARJET but its amazing how quickley the old skills came flooding back. Providing you were well trained in the first place the basic skills will allways be evident!

I.R.PIRATE
27th Feb 2007, 10:55
Well said unabletomakeoutwhatsernamesodontholditagainstme

Life is also a little more than just what Scully wants.

dynamite dean
27th Feb 2007, 21:48
unbelevrablenavperfiramorhwatvereyournameis

I take your point, its all superflous once you have done your training i just wish the world would follow the ICAO a bit more!

unablereqnavperf
28th Feb 2007, 21:57
No you get the job because you fit into the companys culture firstly and secondly you can fly an aircraft.Most companies hire on personallity provided you meet the minimum requirements! Once you have mastered basic skills it doesn't make any differance how many hours you have doing it I should know I'm no better now, 12 000 hours later, than I was when i had 500hrs the only thing I now have in my arsenal is the experience to keep myself out of situations where my skills will be called upon!

If new pilots looking for that elusive first job concentrated more on selling themselves as opposed to trying to impress with their 5 hrs of turbine time or 10hrs on a Tristar sim plus 4hrs in a 737 sim they would get noticed more. Personally when I recruit pilots, as I am doing at the moment, CV's sating every little bit of worthless time on this and that go straight into file 13, the cv's I take the time to read are the ones that tell me what type of person you are, the only hours I look at are total flying time and if the person has any relevant experience and this could be life experience rather than flying experience.

Most Chief Pilots don't have the time to throughly analyse each individuals at least not at the first filter stage.

Hope this helps.