PDA

View Full Version : Expat Pilots In India !!!!!!!!!!

flightknight
26th Feb 2007, 18:43
Are you an EXpat Pilot / EX EXpat Pilot or wannabe. Share and Read on..:hmm: :sad: :O :*

CRJusa
28th Feb 2007, 16:05
I second this... I am looking at India and I am open ears to all info. Thanks.

dessas
28th Feb 2007, 16:33
Read "Shantaram", by a guy called Roberts. If U think U might mix it there like him - its OK. If not - dont even think bout it.:mad:

SkyMiles
3rd Mar 2007, 02:46
Hello my friend, there are several other threads on this very same topic. Why do you feel the need to start another one? India is good, bad, and ugly. It all depends on your tolerance for turd. No amount of posts on this forum will change your mind on whether you will go there or not. So suck it up and go see for yourself. I've been there and I won't go back, despite leaving quiet a fan club of lovely ladies behind.

So if you're skull is too thick to absord all the information that is already out there let me break it down for you again.

Good = plenty of overtime and good money
Bad = huge pilot shortage with 6 days on/1 day off roster patterns
Ugly = filthy living conditions

India is India. It is not Singapore, Tokyo, Shanghai, Vienna, Toronto, Cleveland, Billings, or anywhere else for that matter. It is a "developing nation" with about 800 million people living in poverty. Diseases such as leprosy still exist. They worship the whiteness of your skin. With one billion people you will find a lot of gorgeous young women. The old women are short, fat, and ugly (if you are wondering what your girlfriend will look like in 10 years). There is a growing penchant for all things Western. However, all the blue jeans in the world won't cover the indignities of their society (read caste system and poverty).

If that doesn't do it for you mate, then I don't know what else will. The only thing I can add is that there are more pilots leaving than are showing up. Some people like it, some people hate it, and some people are indifferent. I suppose you will never know which one you are until you fall for that beautiful cabin crew and have a case of diarrhea. Any questions?

Amin
3rd Mar 2007, 14:31
Good post skymiles!!!:D

tropical wave
3rd Mar 2007, 15:38
I love the Caribbean and would hate to leave, but the time is approaching when i will have to leave [just for a few years] in order to fly till age 65.I have many Caribbean friends flying in India who say that if you think ' the Caribbean is third world, then India is tenth world'.I can handle India [i think] simply because of where i was brought up, have Indian,African,White and Chinese.But a european/north american who has not traveled much, might have some problems.I would suggest to take a trip to India and check it out.

CRJusa
3rd Mar 2007, 16:32
However, from what I understand, the cities are far less third-world than the rest of the country. Apparently, expat pilots are being housed in Gurgaon, right outside Delhi, which is more western than 95% of the country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurgaon
http://www.gurgaonproperties.net/MallImages/MetropolitanMall_Img.jpg

The middle class / standard of living seems to be growing at an alarming rate.

Would this be a correct statement?

How orgranized are operations over there? Ground work/ATC/clearances/releases/mx ?

divinesoul
4th Mar 2007, 04:24
Interesting article in times of india thought u guys may want to read it.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/India/India_Flying_Expatriate_pilots_find_another_home/articleshow/msid-1720122,curpg-1.cms

divinesoul
5th Mar 2007, 04:29
Sorry to be a little of topic..Just looking for some advice on whether I could go to India with as an Australian citizen and an Australian CPL MECIR and work up there without having to change/convert license etc.?

Its not possible unless u are recruited by one of the airlines in India as FO or capt in which case u get a licence validation.

since u are not Indian u will have to get security clearance which you can get unless u know somebody in high and influential position otherwise it will take so much time,worst case u may never get it.For foreign airline pilots this security thing is taken care of by the airline.

Unless and until u have a job with an GA or Charter company in India it will be tough to deal with the DGCA.

first try securing a job with a company in India and depending on how badly they need you they will take care of all other things.

And the Indian DGCA(equivalent of aus CASA) they are worse than the CASA.There is a lot of bureaucracy and red tape involved.nothing is easily done in India.

cheers.

flightknight
7th Mar 2007, 01:18
thanks for the real informative link DIVINE Soul.. cheers !!!!!!!!!!

flightknight
14th Mar 2007, 21:03
:D :D Excerpt from "Why we want you to Be Rich" Trump/Kiyosaki..
"India is the worlds largest oldest continuous civilisation. In the last 10,000 years India has never invaded any country. India is the largest democracy.India is one of the countries that got independence through non- violence. The art of navigation was born in the river Sindh 6000 years ago. Sanskrit is the mother of all European languages. India was the richest country on earth until the 17th century, when the British invaded. Chess was invented in India. India invented the number system. Einstein said " we owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us to count, without which no worthwhile discovery could have been made. Algebra, trignometry, calculus originated in India. "pi" was first calculated by the mathematician Budhyana, he explained the Pythogoreab Theorem in the 16th century. Its the largest English speaking nation in the world".

flightknight
14th Mar 2007, 22:16
I've travelled extensively in Southeast Asia for the past 25 years and have spent periods of time in India.
At present there are a lot of MNC folks living in different parts of the country, mostly executives, entrepreneurs, educationists, spiritual and health care seekers, dual residents etc.
Living in India can be an adventure on its own for a "Westerner". Contagious diseases , hygiene, bureaucracy, visible poverty, communal unrest, unpredictable availability of basic necessities like water and electricity etc. Most folks who travel regularly and relocate are aware of these conditions and prepare themselves and their families.
The outsourced pilot in India is basically, a highly paid manual laborer. As pilots, we are sometimes too focused on getting into a cockpit, that we forget about the whole picture surrounding us.
Indian folks are warm, courteous, patient and compassionate. If you ask for directions on a street corner, you may have an entire crowd leading you to your destination. The slums are safe and you will not get mugged. The poorest folks in this nation have the greatest Pride i have seen in a people.
Anyways, before you decide to sign that .........line, take a trip by yourself /wife/kids and experience India. It may be "for better or for worse", not just a repeat after me statement.

rdr
15th Mar 2007, 10:56
Interesting contrast in opinion between flight knight and the posting by skymiles.
Its a pity that skymiles has learnt nothing from his foreign adventure. Some people don't travel well and then, some do. :rolleyes:

For me, Africa, Europe, India, China, the US, they have all been great with some marvellous people all round.

Good post flight knight

ZFT
15th Mar 2007, 12:40
rdr

I echo your sentiments. (You can also add the Middle East to your list).

beykoz
20th Jun 2007, 17:21
Here's a proud Indian

This is just the beginning " You're in God's own country " Nothing artificial about it. It's not Singapore by any means and nobody in India wants it to be.

She's the next superpower of the world with the cleverest people on the planet. Thats a fact. Wait and watch.

The infrastructure is coming, The private sector, the billionaire club of Indians will make sure it does and once it's there it will become as boring as the developed :rolleyes:'artificial' world in the west.but the cosmetics will come 'later rather than sooner'

Skymiles
Glad you enjoyed your time here. I left a fan club of beautiful white girls:p in my last job in the sandpit. They just adored my brown skin those lovely lasses. I didn't wait to see how they looked when got older though.

Beykoz " I was dying to come back to my beautiful country ":ok:

MatchaLover
20th Jun 2007, 19:02
I am sure India and the people are all you say they are.

Seriously, just curious and looking for a recommendation. Where in India would you suggest for someone who wants to live/work there but not be overwhelmed with crushing poverty in their face and raw sewage everywhere?

Are there places in the country side that are "unspoiled".

Thanks!

rdr
22nd Jun 2007, 02:45
hey Matchalover, do everyone a favour and go back to the hole you and skymiles come from. i suppose crushing poverty and raw sewage is making you leave your country and come to India.
most of the foreign guys have a good outlook of their situation and tend to blend in well. but, you can put some on the peacock throne (i don't suppose you would have any idea of this slice in history), and they will still find something to bitch about.
the real poverty and sewage is found in ones own mind, if you so choose

MatchaLover
23rd Jun 2007, 05:03
rdr, Sorry to put you in a fit.

I was truly interested in an Indian's opinion of a place to live/work in India that might be more like what I am used to in the USA. Perhaps I did not do a very good job of asking for that.

I was thinking if there were such a place in India then I could think about staying longer. What I have heard is many people (including Indian's) choose to leave when they can and as soon as they can.

rdr
23rd Jun 2007, 06:56
India is not a country old chap, it is an experiance. A place of massive contrasts which will stretch your mind and imagination to the extreme, and force you to take a closer look at yourself.
It is not for you by any measure, if it's the creature comforts you long for.
On the other hand, it can be pretty rewarding to slug it out and get an idea about what the big picture is all about.
No Indian leaves his country. They take a break, and return they do.
Good luck matchalover

IR-Pirate
23rd Jun 2007, 11:26
Is it true that only Captains are hired as expat pilots in India. Or are FO's also hired at for example Kingfisher?

wondering
23rd Jun 2007, 16:44
Hm, and I thought calculus was 'invented/developed' by Newton and Leibniz. Although, an ancient greek guy; cant remember his name, already had thoughts in that direction. Imagine how our world would look like if the greeks had developed calculus 2000y ago.

Now back to the original topic, what are the chances of securing a F/O job with let´s say Kingfisher (Really like their swimmsuite calendar)?

jai6638
23rd Jun 2007, 16:51
rdr, Sorry to put you in a fit.

I was truly interested in an Indian's opinion of a place to live/work in India that might be more like what I am used to in the USA. Perhaps I did not do a very good job of asking for that.

I was thinking if there were such a place in India then I could think about staying longer. What I have heard is many people (including Indian's) choose to leave when they can and as soon as they can.

If you are going to India while trying to maintain your US lifestyle, forget about it.. They are two very different countries.. You will only enjoy India if you are there to experienece a different lifestyle and culture..

masalama
26th Jun 2007, 07:34
OK first off I'm a local based in mumbai with one of the private carriers....

I'm from south India and initially it was tough getting used to mumbai(the crazy traffic jams , poor infrastructure, overpopulated and crowded city, a lot of poor people living in subhuman conditions etc etc) ...it's easy to understand the apprehensions that expats will have of moving over to India , especially if they're based in mumbai ....

r things improving? there are many projects in the pipeline( new roads,highways,bridges, metro projects, housing schemes for the slum dwellers,new airports ,parks,clean up drives etc etc) and in spite of our politicians , I expect Indian metros to be somewhere close to other major asian cities in the next 10-15 years , thats my view anyway.

Most Indians are very patriotic and although we know things are not the best in our country , we hate it when it's pointed out to us, especially by foreigners :* but it's the truth and we need to accept it to move forward , the message given to us by our politicians( india shining, incredible India ) is only half true , they do it for their votebank , neways that's a topic on it's own .....

Ok regarding other bases in INDIA that would appeal to an expat , I think if you can stay at some of the non-metros ,some of the problems stated above can be avoided although things like lack of nightlife, occasional powercuts and water shortage can be expected,plus safety issues for foreign women in India is an altogether differnt topic.
hope this helps and jai hind to all.....:ok:

county
27th Jun 2007, 01:21
Hi Masalama!

Please tell me more about foreign women in India? I plan to take my wife (Phillapina) with me to Mumbai and travel to other points from there once I find the safe places to travel. Are we going to be safe?

Thanks in advance for all information.

ironbutt57
27th Jun 2007, 09:13
Hey county...don't let your wife see how you spelled her nationality!!!:} I call mine a Filipina...

masalama
27th Jun 2007, 14:18
hi county...
well I think mumbai has to be one of the safest places for women in India...U dont find people gawking and staring at women , a very cosmopolitan society I have to say , Delhi on the other hand can be dangerous , there have been many cases of attacks against women and not necessarily foreign .
In many parts of the country, women dont venture out after 2200 , I'm talking non-metros now ....take extra precautions when travelling alone at night , I think travelling during the day and just being sensible about where you go at night and modes of transport used should be fine ....I think your wife ,being asian should be able to adjust a bit easier to the change than someone from the US or western europe...
I'm a bit curious though, guys, with the market so good in the middle east and T's&C's so good out there for DEC's and the like, wouldnt a move to the sandpit be a better option than India ....not that you're not welcome out here.... just would be a bit easier on the family I'd think....neways...hope this helps....

county
27th Jun 2007, 22:47
Yes, that helps a lot Masalama!

Yes, Iron...I spell it that way sometimes too. Thanks to you too!

rdr
29th Jun 2007, 01:46
In many parts of the country, women dont venture out after 2200 , I'm talking non-metros now ....take extra precautions when travelling alone at night

Hi masalaman, is there any country/city in the world, besides Singapore, where the above is not applicable??
Common sense is "genius in street clothes," (pun not intended););)

Al Fakhem
29th Jun 2007, 04:00
beykoz:

It’s nice to see such enthusiasm, but I’d like to give you some food for thought.

I first visited India in 1979, the same year I first travelled to China. At that time, India was some 20 years ahead of China in terms of development. Now, some 30 years later, China is 20 years ahead of India. In other words, despite the “cleverest people in the world”, India has – in relative terms – developed backwards.

It is wonderful for a country to boast that it’s a nuclear power, but perhaps other issues, such as giving the vast majority of the population a decent living environment might be more appropriate.

How about a 24/7 power supply? Even in Gurgaon – the much-hyped “new city” which is supposed to be insulated from the daily infrastructure collapses that we have to put up with in the rest of the country – multiple daily power cuts are frequent.

How about a 24/7 supply of drinking water? We have both city water (not safe for drinking) and a tap connected to a borehole, which is supposedly drinking water (but only available from 7.00 a.m. to 7.30 a.m. – yes, 30 minutes per day!) and still has to be run through a filter before it looks and tastes safe for boiling.

How about roads (and I am not talking dual carriageways with 4 lanes in each direction – just simple A-class roads) without potholes? How about a working sewerage and draining system?

I marvel at the TV commercials by HCL (Hindustan Computers Limited) that tell me what wonderful software this IT leader is making, for instance, for ATC. However, despite having two runways each, both Delhi and Bombay airports can manage less traffic than a single-runway airport such as Gatwick.

The same company boasts of software for the retail sector, yet at my supermarket in what is supposed to be India’s IT capital, more than 50% of my purchases cannot be scanned.

In a case particularly well know to me, Kingfisher beer is hauled over 500 km to a city with a Kingfisher brewery located 30 km away. Reason: the nearby brewery happens to be in another state and, apparently, it is illegal to transport liquor across the state line. Aren’t we living in one and the same country? Of course, the trucks that do the 500 km journey have the smart slogan “save oil – save India” painted on their rear panels.

You cannot play the “developing country” card forever. In 1946, India was among one of the most developed countries in Asia and had suffered very little, if any, damage caused by WW II. My in-laws, who are Thai, tell me how they used to travel to Rangoon for shopping during the 1950s, because the stores there were better stocked than in Bangkok (!). This illustrates how far some countries have moved forward since then.

In order to move forward, it is essential to assess the present reality objectively. Just because there is a shopping mall and a McDonald’s (that doesn’t serve its signature BigMac, by the way) in a city doesn’t mean it is world-class.

I wish India well, but in order to progress you need politicians who are dedicated to developing the country (as opposed to developing their own assets). Tell me, exactly what percentage of MPs have charges pending against them and/or have been convicted, some of them for murder? Are these the people you expect to bring progress to this country that, indeed, has great potential?

getsetgo
29th Jun 2007, 05:12
THERE IS NO BIRD FLU,OR SARS IN INDIA
BCZ ALL INDIANS ARE ACCLAMATISED,STRONG IMUNISATION AND RESISTENCE HAS BEEN DEVALOPED TOWARDS ANY DECEASE AND VIRUSES OVER THE YEARS BY LIVING IN MOST CHALLANGING ENVIORONMENT. :D
PEOPLE ARE HOSPITABLE .:)
FEEL THE DIFFRENCE WHEN U STAY IN INDIAN MANAGED HOTELS.:ok:
LOTS SNAKES COBRAS ARE SEEN FRIQUENTLY IN INDIA AND THESE ARE THE BEST QUALITY COBRAS AVAILABLE ONLY IN INDIA.:eek:
WHAT YOU WILL SEE IN INDIA WILL NOT FIND ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
UNBELEIVABLE ,ADVENTUROUS AND AMAZING:ok:

rdr
29th Jun 2007, 09:34
Al Fakhem, which part or parts of China have you been to to warrant your position on either country?

Al Fakhem
29th Jun 2007, 10:12
rdr:

Harbin, Dalien, Shenyang, Peking, Tsientsin, Tsingtao, Ningpo, Shanghai, Wuxi, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Nanking, Chungking, Chengdu, Xian, Lanzhou, Urumuqi, Nanning, Kunming, Canton, Shenzhen, and a few others.

I actually lived in China.

rdr
30th Jun 2007, 04:01
Thanks for your prompt reply Al Fakhem. Having been to most of the cities you mentioned in China, in addition to Tashkurgan and Kashgar, (Xinjiang) I must add that your observations to compare these two great countries are accurate, yet, incomplete. That you have chosen to compare the two countries is a well worn path. Kudo's to China for their achievements and I do wish they keep moving up the ladder.

Infrastructure in India has not been up to scratch due to poor governance and an obstructionist civil service. So, as I said earlier, that if it is the 5 star lifestyle you are after, think again. Today, the private sector is leading the way with companies like Jet Airways, Kingfisher, Reliance, Infosys, etc, etc.... The federal and the state governments are allowing them to burn the path forward and hopefully, the rest falls in place. Yes India is about 20 years behind China due to the different timings which led to their respective countries opening up.
I am sure that you have seen the poverty in China. Unfortunately, they don't talk about it, like, there was no bird flu or sars till the rest of the world was suitably affected.
The big difference which matters to many is that of freedom. The freedom to think and make choices. Try living in China and posting the sort of comments you did about India here.

getsetgo
30th Jun 2007, 16:53
and also provide free pure water during cirtain hours of the day.
distilled water is readily available at 40 Rs for 20 litre and it is cheapest in the world.
electricity ,.alternate and stby all generaters available including GPU at nomnal price
still every body is free to say anything under there fundamental rights:D
its just a thought .

av8r76
1st Jul 2007, 15:41
40rs a litre for 10pc of the population is fine and dandy. The guy who digs the street to lay the precious fibre optic cable for the emergent IT industry makes 40rs a DAY.
The brightest part of India's pot holed streets is in the vicinity of the glorious shopping malls lit up by billboards goading you to buy that shiny new Bulgari watch while the rest of the street is plunged in darkness.
The recent submerging of Bombay bares the shameful reality of the incompetence of India's 'brightest' to maintain infrastructural functionality. I can almost see a Dalal street broker wading through waist deep water holding his brand spanking new Nokia above water level.
Development in India is a sham. You can build shiny malls and office buildings but the streets right in front of these magnificent structures are an utter mess.
It is sad to see the wasted human potential in this country. Millions of households wake up at 3am because they are unsure when the 2hr a day water supply will start so that their buckets are filled up. Last time I checked all of us would rather be cozy in bed rested for a productive day at work.
And please don't even start with free speech. Recent I&B norms putting restrictions on news channels should be a real humdinger for freedom of expression. Let's not even begin with the lynch mob in a Gujarat Univ. where a student painted a few portraits which supposedly 'offended' sentimentalities. These occurrences are becoming more and more common.
Last time I checked the parents of the murdered kids in Nithari had a fundamental right to justice which was so easily denied to them.

flightknight
1st Jul 2007, 16:31
:ugh:............anyways , to get back to the original topic on this post, are there any expat pilots who can contribute their experiences?. Please share.

boeingdream787
1st Jul 2007, 19:40
KUDOS,AL Fakhem.
A post well posted,to say the least. I could'nt have put across these facts better if i had done so myself.Kudos.....!!!
Looking the other way aint gonna make the Tsunami go away......
And you could'nt be closer to the truth than that. The Indians in India are getting too darn used to the philosophy of "sweeping under the rug"the wrongs they cant correct or for that matter accept! That and the "Oh,its not my problem.....at least not TODAY it isnt" way of thinking is gonna be the death knell for the Indian pseudo "progress".
Ironically these new genx yuppie indians have begun to think like their corrupt,red tape sticking,under the table bribing and still not getting the job done forefathers/foreuncles too!!! And when you have a corrupt,manupulative and oppurtunist young genx.....THEN my friends you're heading for the big bang.
And,very very sadly,thats what i see happening in this great country. India.

rdr
2nd Jul 2007, 03:42
Yep, kudo's, high fives and the lot are in order. We shall march forward and not only solve the country's problems, but also the worlds.
1. There are too many who criticize, politicize, yap yap. But do buggerall.
NATO......... No Action Talk Only
2. It is also rare to see people from any other country run down their own with such fervour in this forum, save one.

flightknight
2nd Jul 2007, 04:58
I'm just wondering if there are any aviators/pilots left on this forum who can respond to the original post. :ugh:

Secret Agent Man 2
2nd Jul 2007, 13:49
One important thing to consider with regards to India is how well do you deal with Colonial (Victorian, really) era bureaucracy?

It is the one British legacy they have truly grabbed ahold of and improved (?!?) on their own. Forget cricket, this is the true national obsession: mindless paperwork and procedures.

Airbus_a321
2nd Jul 2007, 14:40
flightknight
Pilots / Aviators
I'm just wondering if there are any aviators/pilots left on this forum who can respond to the original post.??????
HEY FLIGHKNIGHT! WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM. :ugh: WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT TO READ ? :ugh: Stop crying, start reading!
..... read all the posts about India, Flying in India, Expats in India etc here at pprune and you will read that almost everybody adivses you more or less blatant to AVOID THIS S++++Y COUNTRY WHENEVER YOU CAN.
Don't expect to read that once you'll work here it's like paradise. No it's not paradise here in India. Not even for expat pilots.
We are here to fill a gap - but nobody wants us here. Everybody is just waiting 24/7 that one of us will do a mistake.:yuk: - You may realize, once you are here that almost all Indians you have to work with, will try to blame you, especially for their own mistakes and they do not hesitate to start big lies against you - just to blame you. And they will succeed.:yuk:
Always be higly alerted, and also be aware of their inhuman jails here which are like hell, here at 'Incredible India'. (It is so easy to get into and f+++ing hard to come out!)
Unfortunately, that is everyday expats pilots life in India!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
Now just do your own judgement. Informations are available at pprune in great numbers, even here in YOUR thread:8

rdr
3rd Jul 2007, 01:47
AIRBUS a321

sounds like you do have a problem on your hands. esp if you have to keep looking over your shoulder, feeling that they are all out to get you.

try having a chat with other expats. most of the ones I know are well settled in their jobs and take most things in their stride.

btw, flightknight has every right to post his view here.

propdog
5th Jul 2007, 21:46
Question for locals and ex-pats living in India:

From reading all the post regarding India, I get the impression that India is a truly free and democratic country where people can express their opinions without fear of intimidation. Now---why the h$ll was an arrest warrant issued for Richard Gere for kissing an Indian movie actress consensually?? Is it illegal to kiss people from opposite sex in public in India? With all the development and stuff, is India still living in stone-age in this area?

swish266
6th Jul 2007, 03:35
I worked for HVN in the late '90ies, for 3.5 yrs. After I left, I used to say - "Will go back there only on a B52 with nukes".
Actually after spending 57 days on layovers in India in 2005 and doing 17 trips by June 2006 my choice is Vietnam.
Sorry guys.
I am scared to fly into India. Looking at the TCAS is one thing but listening on the radio is... mind-bogging! I've placed a 100USD bet that there will be a major accident in the next 6 months.
I started my expat flying in 1995. I can tell U - nobody will dish out d big bucks for a good look and a decent accent. They throw the big bucks at U because the job is crap - its risky.
On my last 3-day layover I had an open wound on my ankle (a rope burn) that was nicely healing. Guess what - it got infected in Bombay!!!
In a piss-pit like India and Vietnam an expat must consider above and before all the health issues... Because, "no honey, no money"...
A fellow pilot was diagnosed with viral meningitis in Saigon way back in '97. The air ambulance arrived within 2h from SIN - it took 8h to do his paperwork at customs&immi - they almost lost him.
Imagine U are driven to a flight in one of the shiny new Atoses or Indicas and U get smashed by a truck?! No medevac for U - you will bleed to death before any help gets to you through the traffic caused by the rubberneckers. And if at all U get to the hospital on time... Not worth going on...
I am just in the right mood to enlighten you guys, that think that can make a nice buck while on furlough...
On an expat job you are treated like an attachment to the a/c. Not a fragile human being, be it India, Vietnam, China or any other 3rd world place...
God Bless the uninformed!:mad:
Amen

as737
14th Aug 2007, 12:17
Hi guys.
Friend of mine (expat Captain of A-320) is in difficult situation which Air Company to join: Go Air, Indigo or Kingfisher.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Good luck!

jai6638
14th Aug 2007, 12:46
From reading all the post regarding India, I get the impression that India is a truly free and democratic country where people can express their opinions without fear of intimidation. Now---why the h$ll was an arrest warrant issued for Richard Gere for kissing an Indian movie actress consensually?? Is it illegal to kiss people from opposite sex in public in India? With all the development and stuff, is India still living in stone-age in this area?

Kissing in public is not the norm in India and against the local culture ( although it seems to be becoming increasingly prevalant in Hindi movies ). The media blew this issue out of proportion since they have nothing better to report about.

However, the same question you posed can be applied to the the American context. Why is gay marriage such a big deal in the US? With all the free speech and rights that America boasts of, why is it such a problem? If two men want to get married in a peaceful manner, whats the big deal? To quote you, "With all the development and stuff, is the US still living in stone-age in this area?"

Just because it is widely accepted in the US does not mean that it should be widely accepted in India. Each country has the right to do as it pleases. Richard Gere would dare not do such a thing in the Middle East. If the conservative Muslims in the Middle East do not appreciate sch behaviour, then why do you expect the conservative muslims in India to accept it? ( I am not targeting the Muslims.. THe conservative Hindus also do not approve of this act). Being a secular country, its hard to keep everyone happy. Every country has its problems and this is one of India's major ones :)

Cheers

propdog
14th Aug 2007, 21:42
Thanks for the informative reply. And to answer your question..yes..I believe parts of the US is still living in stone-age when it comes to accepting gays and lesbians. Blame it on the Christian fundamentalists here. However, as a pilot, I get to fly with many gays and lesbians and I don't find any problems associating with most of them. :)

speedtwoten
15th Aug 2007, 06:30
:confused:are we discussing about gay/lesbies now, or living in India as part of information to whom likes to come to India, but one thing is true during my stay in India everybody try to cheat, starting from the hotel servant and on the street the autorikshaw driver then come to your company management's, so you are left alone, the "contract is only a sheet of paper" nobody in India respect this sheet of paper:{

jumpdrive
18th Aug 2007, 13:28
guys...................
just come here & MAKE MONEY, save money & later
go someplace else
this @ the very end, its not worthit

Al Fakhem
3rd Dec 2007, 02:30
beykoz:

You did mention “the cleverest people on the planet”, right?

After weeks of multiple daily power cuts (some of them lasting four or more hours at a time), I have to seriously doubt the mental capacity of the people in responsible positions, such as those in charge of power generation and distribution in this country which – according to some contributors – is home to the “cleverest” people in the world.

Sadly, everything that is in the hands of the government is completely mismanaged. Trying to avoid one public service will only drive you into the clutches of an even worse outfit. Read on.

The other evening, I flew across two major wind farms in Tamil Nadu and observed that some 75% to 80% of all turbines were shut down. When I reached my apartment about one hour later, the power was shut off – we are told this is due to a shortfall in power generation throughout Tamil Nadu. Hardly!

At this point, I should explain that we live in a so-called "luxury" residential enclave, but the developers only provided a generator that is powerful enought to supply electricity to the elevators and public area lighting whenever there is a power cut. So much for "luxury".

Anyway, this Sunday morning, we woke up to a power outage at 7 a.m., meaning we could not cook breakfast. Mrs AF (who is Thai and reasonably tolerant in all matters) finally lost her cool and so we set out to purchase a gas cooking range. This mission was accomplished quite smoothly, and with the new gas appliance in the back of the car, I asked my driver to stop by a petrol station to pick up a cylinder of LPG. At this point, my driver began to tell me something about needing a government licence and a 20-day waiting period, which I all put down to a possible misunderstanding on his behalf. However, it turned out that whilst anywhere else in the world the purchase of a cylinder of LPG is a straightforward money-for-goods transaction, in India (the country with the cleverest people on the planet - remember?) this is not so. In fact, you need a ration card to obtain your LPG, but as a non-Indian, you can’t get a ration card. We now have a gas stove but no gas – and an electric cooker without electricity. Great.

Given that Indians who go abroad are quite happy to complain almost immediately about perceived discrimination (whether it’s having to take off their headgear for security checks as everyone else, or about traces of beef tallow in fries), I wonder whether the same self-appointed victims of discrimination know how non-Indians are treated back home?

Add this to the inability of a nuclear power to generate enough electricity to enable its population to cook a decent breakfast, and I seriously wonder where people such as beykoz get their euphoria from.

Slasher
3rd Dec 2007, 03:42
Whats forgoten is that India isnt a "developing nation" its
a FAILED STATE. Its had thousands of bloodey years to
develop. What its doin right now is trying to slowley crawl
itself out of the 3rd world slag-heap.

If your after big bucks and live like a bloodey king with
your own personal Gungadin AND you can adapt to filthey
sh!thole conditions, then Indias the place for you. If you
cant then dont go there. Simple as that.

PS I agree about Indian chicks - some real top-class snatch
can be found there! :ok:

casper63
3rd Dec 2007, 11:31
Slasher your post is not worth a comment, but I can't resist myself asking you are you still working there and filling up your pockets or have you left because of so called unacceptable conditions? Secondly if you don't like something, just give up and leave, nobody will miss you.:)
Cheers have a drink with all that extra money you have saved and stop cursing the hand which is/was feeding you.:ok:

rdr
3rd Dec 2007, 16:06
Hey there slasher,
whoa now. the easiest snatch you can ever get is down in oz. Seriously, have never had a problem getting a piece there. Lousy second hand lays though, all of them. :O:O:O

Slasher
4th Dec 2007, 02:11
RDR yeh, but chicks outside BOM and DEL were eye-openin
stunners which surprised me a bit. Didnt get all the
emotional baggage that come with Oz chicks nether.

Wouldnt mind goin back to run over a few targets! :E ;)

dessas
4th Dec 2007, 02:53
Just came back from 3 full days in BOM:
1. Throat is still awfully sore.
2. Read in the Saturday TOI that some big shot was hit by an apron vehicle while being limo-driven to his flight... Back injuries...
3. Cleaners arrived 39' before departure.
4. AI 851 next door got start-up clearance ahead of us even though he requested it 5 min after us.
5. Delayed 25 min for cleaning, 10 min for catering, 8 min for ATC. Taxied 17 min from bay 49 to "H" intersection rw27.
6 .And it took almost 2h by taxi from Colaba to Powai lake both on fri and sun...
7. Last straw, maybe not so bad - lost 1.5 kilos due "Delhi Belly" (as usual).
:mad:

p. s. Had to hold/extend final for 21 min upon arrival late thu night.

WHAT A DUMP
:mad:

DesiPilot
5th Dec 2007, 12:38
I always thought that people who came to India fell in two categories: 1) Who absolutely love it and 2) Who absolutely hate it.

Today in one of the expat group meeting (I am Indian but my wife is american) I met the third kind: People who say it is okay and they are glad that they will not be here forever. My wife falls in third category. I was born here, so I am used to most of the stuff and I guess my skin is thick enough now to ignore most of the inhumane things that happens in India. Will I stay here for long, my guess is no. I moved here because my friends painted an excellent picture how good things are here. I am just pointing out some of the drawbacks in India, of course most Indian pilots have not experienced the better side so they do think this is heaven !!

1) Scheduling/Rostering for most airlines suck. In my airline we do get 15 day roster, but I dont even bother opening it as they never stick to it.
2) Due to shortage of pilots you will fly 6 days a week. When in States I was holding line with 14-16 days off per month and still flying 70-80 hours per month (so poor crew utilisation).
3) CRM although is improving a lot now, I have heard some horror stories from my friends. I've had only one bad experience in a year, so I guess thats not too bad.
4) Even on your days off (weekly) you are not to leave the city without your base managers permission.
5) Taxes: Too high (almost 34%) and I dont see where my tax money is actually being spent.

On the other hand, you will be treated like a king, you will have transportation to and from your home and if you are not working for LCC you will get fed as well.

So, the bottom line is whether you want quality of life or money. In India you will have lots of money but no quality of life. In the west you may not have as much money but better quality of life. In a few years from now I will pick the later one.

sanaa.harakat
4th Jan 2012, 19:43
Hello,

I know it's been ages You put this comment, but still try, we never know :)

My boy friend is living in India, and I m following my CPL lessons in europe.. I wanted to know if I can find some jobs opportunities in India as an instructor .. my goal is to be airline pilot, but i mean, if there is a possibility to build hours near my baby :)!!!

happy new year,

Kisses,

mach5
6th Jan 2012, 13:17
Sorry, the DGCA does not allow foreign pilots to work in India as First officer or as an Instructor , but expats can work as an captain till 2013 which is likely to be extended by 2 more years .

But If you have a good number of hrs [TT2000] on caravans / pc-12 or aircraft having MTOW less than 5700kg etc you can act as PIC which the DGCA allows

Good luck
mach5