PDA

View Full Version : JAL

warwicks
26th Feb 2007, 16:44
Hi there,

I seem to have been on here alot recently. I have been checking JAL website for months now as would be desperate to work for them and it constantly saying they are not recruiting but I have heard that they might be.

Does anyone have any information on the company, trips patterns, pay/conditions.

Thank you

Hope your all having a good week

:)

Try Aviation job search .

Good Luck !!

MK045
5th Mar 2007, 21:40
Hi,I live in France and I've applied for cabin crew at JAL.I 'm looking for information ongoing recruitment and interview and anything else whom can help me. Thank you

japanair
13th Mar 2007, 01:00
Just wondering guys if any of you have an opinion on this. Which airline has better conditions, treats their crew with respect and better money.....ANA or JAL???

Sweetmissy
15th Mar 2007, 10:21
Hey,

I applied last week for Cabin Crew with JAL, I haven't heard anything yet...

Is anyone else applying? Has anyone applied before? can you give us any handy tips...

Any information greatly appreciated.. :)

Sweetmissy x

Sweetmissy
15th Mar 2007, 10:29
Hey there..

I'm based in london, i applied on their website http://www.uk.jal.com

:)

Sweetmissy
15th Mar 2007, 15:49
Hey there...

Has anyone else, apart from me, applied to Japan Airlines as Cabin Crew, based at LHR???

There must be some of you out there....

Please let me know how you're getting on..

If you already work for JAL, do you have any handy tips?? ;)

Sweetest sweetmissy x x x

Sweetmissy
22nd Mar 2007, 12:18
Hello all,

Has ANYONE applied to JAL, for Cabin Crew???????

Tis strange, i appear to be the only person in Pprune who has.. surely not!!! :(

If anyone has applied, let me know... be useful to have someone else in the same boat as me..

pls pls pls pls let me know..

Thank you my lovelies

x :ugh:

nickedo
22nd Mar 2007, 20:22
hi there i am invited for interview for JAL at Heathrow, next week cant wait...have you had yours yet?

Nick

nickedo
22nd Mar 2007, 20:25
Hi Missy....im going for my interview in next week....have you been and do you know whats waiting for us? any hints ?:) im pretty nervous.

Sweetmissy
23rd Mar 2007, 08:40
Hi nickedo,

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! i've got my interview on April 3rd..

I've never been for JAL before, so no tips there :confused:

I did however work as Cabin Crew for Virgin Atlantic and i think it could be similar maybe...

What date is yr interview?? :ok:

Do you remember the drunken nights at the truck ..
oh those hang over's Lol , And I proberly was on your flight as fellow crew ;)

Good luck with jal ..

The First interview is like X FACTOR they will group you with three people and then take you into a room and ask each of you together Questions and they only choose one person per group of three . So make sure you speak clear and be polite and professional at all times eyes are everywhere .

Sweetmissy
23rd Mar 2007, 12:42
Sadly i never got to go to Narita...

2 years and not one!!! :(

Are you still there? i heard some amazing stories... well if i get into Jal (fingers crossed) maybe we might meet again..

Smiles to all at VS

:O :ok:

No silly me left Virgin !!
BIG BIG MISTAKE :{

Sweetmissy
23rd Mar 2007, 13:33
aaawwww :ooh:

I aplied to go back and they said NO:{

its poo... but i'm looking forward to Jal.. if i get it :ok:

Oh my god!!!! is that a JAL interview????? the 3 people thing???

What kind of questions do they ask??

Help me pls Location...:uhoh:

Sweetmissy
23rd Mar 2007, 14:36
Hi there,

I have an interview on April 3rd with JAL!!!!! :ok:

Need some help and advice please? i've read so many posts, but it seem's that JAL change their recruitment, depending on destination.

I'm in London and i really would appreciate some input... about what to expect on the day..

Thank you..

A very worried Sweetmissy.... :sad:

Girl you need to Calm down ..you going to give yourself a nervous break down .

Well here is what they asked me :

What do you like about Japan and its culture ?

what is your fav Destination and why ?

If you saw a Passenger looking around but didnt want
anything ? what would you do .

I asked a ex Jal crew member this one and she said a good example is the following : "your passengers should never have to look like they need something as you should always be there" ( In the Cabin ) .

The Gentlemen who asked me the Question was Japanesse and I had to ask him to repeat as he spoke very quietly/fast .

And my silly Answer was "I would ask if the Passenger needed anything and if not use the call bell" .

By his face I had failed the question . :oh:

But if you dont get through dont take it bad , But fingers crossed you do ;) ..out of 200 applicants they are looking for about 10-15 max thats why its like the X -FACTOR all I can say is good luck and think before you answer your Questions .

malvin
23rd Mar 2007, 15:25
I was thinking of applying, till I read the requirements that they don't consider people with glasses.

Sweetmissy
23rd Mar 2007, 16:23
Hey Location :)

Thank you for your words, they're greatly appreciated...

I know i do need to calm down, BIG TIME... but you know how nerve wracking it was getting into VS.. i guess thats why i worry..

You are an angel and thank you for your help and support ;)

Are you not crew anymore?

Settled Sweetmissy :zzz:

Yeah I still fly ,
I thought you might like this link as being a Virgin Dolly its all about the Glamour :) ( You Know what I mean)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIBHNnSr7NY

It's Jal's New Uniform , Could you see yourself in it ?
I bet you can work the Glamour ;)

Sweetmissy
23rd Mar 2007, 16:34
Cheeky Location you are, ;)

I cant access it right now, but will when i'm home!! Yeah JAL's uniform is pretty cool.. Haven't seen their new one... ooooh sounds exciting!

Who do you fly for now?

banewboi
23rd Mar 2007, 20:44
Hi guys,

i have loads of rumours and grapevine gossip but can some one tell me a few things?

The Pay and Allowances on offer as part of the current contract for cc?
The current rostering agreement's in place?

Best Advice for interview for male crew?

Thanks guys

tcp-coco
24th Mar 2007, 16:43
Hi everybody,
Iīm going to the assesment day with JAL on 3rd April too:ok: . Im coming from Spain and I havenīt any idea how this interview is. So... if anybody has any advice to give us.... it will be welcome!;)

Thank you and I see you there next week!!:p

skyboy1919
25th Mar 2007, 22:06
Hi Ppruners

I was wondering if someone could provide me a contact for JAL at LHR in the Cabin Service dept. I have just seen the recruitment ad which says applications must be in a few days ago, I wanted to fax mine but cannot find a number.

Does anyone know what the carrier is like as an employer at LHR? Happy crew? Good conditions?

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

skyboy

Standard Jet Dep
26th Mar 2007, 20:22
Well here is my experience.

First interview as previously said everyone gathers in a small room.
Two girls are constantly making notes. Do the usual chat to everyone etc.
Then you go to a room 3 at a time. What Airport do we fly to in Tokyo? What would you do on a stopover etc? Surprisingly none of the othe 2 candidates knew it was NRT!!! So it might be good to take sometime out and read up on locations and culture.
Then everyone walks into a small room and names of those that get through are wrote on a flipchart.

Interview 2

You come back in the afternoon. Firstly you have a grooming check. Check your NAILS and hair. Lads dont use gel I did that and was told to get it out. If they ask you to do anything do it there and then before your second interview.
Then I had a language check I do speak conversational Japanese but they were looking for a second european language however I dont speak any but no problem.

After that you go for a 2 on one interview. Usually JP cabin crew manager and some of the local management. There were two older ( more mature to be polite english folks) The usual questions and then you leave and will find out in about 3 days or get given a day to call.

If successful you will be invited for a 3rd interview. I was interviewed by a board of 3 people, again one of the old school who i did not really like. ( He did ask the same question at both my interviews - Do you take excercise? lol and im not a fat bastard so took a little bit of offence.

The 3rd interview was again same old questions but a little more personal. After that you have to wait about a week I think it was but sadly I didnt make it.
Money.
I know a few people at JAL and I believe it is very good rumoured between 1,500 2,000gbp take home a month.
Training is quite strict and conformed. No disrespect to JAL but it does seem quite an old fashioned JP company however the financial rewards seem great and Japan is the most amazing and wonderful place. ( well for me anyway lol)

If you have any questions please feel free to post them on this board. I hope this info helps.

Very Brgds SJD

Sweetmissy
27th Mar 2007, 13:12
Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for the tips...

You're a star :ok:

x

kaka2103
28th Mar 2007, 21:27
I also have interview on the 3rd of april, i been to a lots of interviews and didnt pass any, but still didnt loose my hope...very persistent hehehe
anyway i heard that they r very strict... i gotta some tips from some websites that i was searching.

* never cross your legs (?????) and place one hand on top of the other eheheheh well thats what i red
*Just say something if they ask....

And i think they will ask the same questions that i heard in the other interviews..like: give me example of good customer service, bad example, why do u want to work for this company, why did u leave ur last job, tell me about yourself etc etc etc
pretty boring

Virginia
31st Mar 2007, 11:23
is it true that the crew don't mix with London based crew and that newbies spend all their flights being loo attendants?

banewboi
31st Mar 2007, 13:46
European crew from what i gather are given a bit of a hard time by the national crew, however, if you take the time to really learn japanese, and then stick it out for 5 years or so you gain alot of respect.

does anyont from jal come on this forum? can anyone clarify pay, prospects, roster patterns?

i missed the closing date for this lot of recruitment but they're holding my cv til the next one. good luck to you guys though.

banewboi
8th Apr 2007, 16:30
so how did u guys get on?

what was it like, can you give any more info?

hoopla
11th Apr 2007, 13:27
Where do you get this loo attendant idea from??
I was JAL for 8 years - when it was only contracts that's why I had to say Sayonara, but still got friends at LHR base.
The recruitment day threads have been a bit inaccurate as they've updated the process recently but you have to remember that like all airlines, JAL get inundated with 2000+ for just one group of 15 to train. Don't be put off, apply again and maybe again. Yes it's hard to get through all 3 rounds but when you've got another 3 months of training to get through and then another month of OJT "on the job training " before you get your own roster!
On board you've got to get on with the Japanese crew - even if you've flown or not before they have their own way and it's much easier for everyone to play their game rather than end up back in the office with a bad report. There are always crew that despite the 3 months training still didn't like anything Japanese - especially the food - then you're going to get hacked off every time they run out of western business class meals and give all the crew ones away. The Jpnz crew and flight deck go home in Japan hence there's only European and other Asian based crew there. Hotels are not always downtown unfortunately and not all have gyms, I know the senior crew always try to help out the newbies and juniors showing them what's available.
Toilet duty, especially on the night flights out of Europe, taking turns to let other crew have meal breaks. Jpnz pax don't always tolerate alcohol well and I saw quite a few hit their heads against the doors or faint on the way to the loo. You get good at finding a cabin bag to rest their feet on for a few minutes!! The other thing is that the company like the toilets to be cleaned often and the paper folded - this is where origamai comes from!!! Personally I hate dirty toilets on any planes and if crew are supposed to check them regularly why don't they just have a quick tidy while they're in there???
Good luck if you're applying, otherwise keep on getting interviews with all the other companies

banewboi
17th Apr 2007, 09:49
that's all really great info

really does help, can you give an idea of roster patterns and pay?

how do allowances work?

hoopla
20th Apr 2007, 13:06
Rostering is done at LHR - up to 90 hours p/mth, get it around 25th and there's no bidding, swapping or negotiating. Includes SBY and reserve days as well as Jpnz lessons and any compulsory courses like SEP or crew meetings.
Shortest trip 3 days D/H LHR-NRT, arv next afternoon min rest n/s, work back NRT/KIX-LHR
4 day trips LHR - NRT/KIX/NGO, n/s 2 nts, back
5 day trips d/h LHR - CDG/AMS KIX/NRT/NGO n/s, 2 nts, and back - have to d/h back to london the same evening
6 day trips through MXP or FCO
9 day trips to SYD and DEL (not sure what's happening with that because they share with Frankfurt base)

No per diems/allowances up front it's all calculated in arrears and they are fixed per country, if I remember it was calculated in USD and converted but as you are aware $2 to Ģ1. If you do duty free there's no comission given to the london crew, you do however get a flight allowance for the direct flights and a slightly higher for the flights where you go through Europe.
They have cut the basic over the years by 10-15%, couldn't tell you how good or bad it is now.
If you don't fly you will only get your basic. Pretty standard stuff.

banewboi
20th Apr 2007, 18:42
wicked,

really good stuff, any chance that over the next few flights you could get some idea of an average take home of a new lhr based crew member?

thanks so much

hoopla
22nd Apr 2007, 10:09
As and when you get the job the Company will tell you plus all the other bits an bobs that goes with the job like concessions, stake holder pensions blah blah blah
The info was an outline of rosters and like any company I don't think they give info freely do BA, BMI, VIRGIN, MONACH, SILVERWING, EASYJET, THOMPSON dish out specific pay info before hiring? ...sorry I wouldn't ask any of my friends there about that sort of thing, you either want the job and the experience or don't apply.