PDA

View Full Version : Overseas type endorsement put on Oz licence !

LuckyQ
26th Feb 2007, 11:35
Would love to hear from people who did their type rating on a jet e.g B737 or A320 overseas….i.e in UK. How did you go about putting it on your Australian Lincece ?

Got a mate looking at doing a BAE RJ70 endorsement with a training organization in UK. After completion of the type rating he needs to get it on his Australian licence.

Did anyone have any issues as far as the paper work CASA wanted?

Does the training provider have to be approved by CASA?

Would appreciate any useful information or advice.

It’s an expensive process, so he wants to ensure there aren’t any issues on his return to Australia.

Thank you ! :)

27/09
26th Feb 2007, 18:21
I think the answer might lie in the this question.

Does the training provider have to be approved by CASA?

A quick chat to CASA before he parts with his hard earned might save some gnashing of teeth.

haughtney1
26th Feb 2007, 18:27
A quick chat to CASA before he parts with his hard earned might save some gnashing of teeth.

I hate to point out the obvious, but isn't any ICAO issued rating recognised in principle?
CASA is an ICAO signatory...I'm assuming however they may stipulate experience requirements etc etc

27/09
26th Feb 2007, 18:59
H1

There are some unknowns here.

What licence is the type rating being done on, UK/EU or Oz or other?

If Oz then CASA will need to approve the provider.

If not Oz CASA may still have issues with the rating especially if it is fresh without any experience. Is the type rating a full (Command) or just an FO one as does happen in the US and may be other parts of the world.

My reason for saying chat to CASA was to ensure that what he/she got was what CASA will accept, your comment about experience a case in point.

haughtney1
26th Feb 2007, 19:11
Fair point 27....:ok:

I had a look on the CASA website, and could'nt exactly find the specific paragraph on CAO relating to a type endorsement on a foreign (non Oz) license.

There must be a policy of some description....it just seems difficult to find:}

bentleg
26th Feb 2007, 20:06
There must be a policy of some description....it just seems difficult to find

Even when/if you find the policy, you will need CASA's interpretation of it.

LuckyQ
26th Feb 2007, 23:27
He did e-mail CASA in the licence department and was told to simply look at CAO Section 40.1 on there website; however the information in the CAO's doesn’t really answer many questions. It’s very vague and offcourse written by lawyers. They aren’t being very helpful.

It’s a command endorsement and is JAR approved. The training organisation and the instructors are JAR approved. It’s a six axis sim.

Statorblade
27th Feb 2007, 04:03
LQ,

For aircraft types that are certificated in Australia, all you need to do is send a copy of the overseas licence and training organisation records to CASA with the obligatory fee (mine was AUD 130 to put the A330 on my OZ ATPL).

CASA will then contact the relevant country licencing authority to verify the type rating on the foreign licence. Once that's done, it goes on the OZ licence. Pretty simple. :ok:

Not sure if the RJ70 has flown in OZ, but I would think it's close enough to the 146 to not be a problem. Ring CASA licencing in Canberra + 61 131 757 for the answer.

meagain
27th Feb 2007, 05:32
Why don't you just ring the licencing authority in Canbera direct like I did, or anyone else interested. The aircraft does not have to be on the Aus register like the old days. You can get anything from B777 to RJ or whatever. Just ring them and find out , it's that easy:rolleyes:

RUMBEAR
27th Feb 2007, 07:14
G'Day Lucky,

I recently had the same question of CASA. It is described in CAO 40.1 however it takes a bit of reading between the lines. This is what I was told by CASA Licensing.
1. If the endorsement is placed on a foreign licence, then present CASA an application (Form 209 on CASA website), a copy of the licence and logbook to verify the training. CASA will then verify the licence and rating with the country authority concerned. Cost $130.

2. If rating not placed on a foreign licence then:
Training organisation/instructors/simulators etc must be approved by the authority of the country in which training took place. Complete the training to meet said countrys regulations (Including type checkride) and obtain documents (from foreign regulator) that states the endorsement would have been issued if relevant licence was held. CASA will want Form 209, Copy of training records, Document from overseas authority stating that endorsment was fully completed, Logbook (I think) and of course $130. Casa will then verify with the regulatory personal who issued your statement of completion of training.

This process could take a little time though.

Cheers :ok:

Dehavillanddriver
27th Feb 2007, 08:54
Have a look at CAO 40.1.0 7.2.3

This says,

(ca) the person seeking the endorsement must give to CASA the following:
(i) documents from the training provider that show that he or she has completed
all the training and testing required for the issue of an overseas aeroplane
endorsement that CASA is satisfied is at least equivalent to the class
endorsement sought;
(ii) documents from the relevant authority that show that the organisation or
individual who conducted the training was approved by the authority at the
time of the training and assessment for the issue of the overseas endorsement;
(iii) information that will enable CASA to verify the documents provided;

So you need a copy of the training organisations FTO approval. A copy of the students records showing that the training has been completed to a satisfactory standard.

You dont need to get the training organisation approved by CASA, nor do you need to get the syllabus approved by CASA.

If in the ordinary course of events the training you did would qualify you for the entry of the rating onto a licence of the approving authority of the course then you are OK.

There are various other provisions in CAO40.1.0 such as getting a letter from the certifying authority or having the type rating on a foreign licence.

Hope that helps

ernestkgann
27th Feb 2007, 09:02
I'm in the UAE and have had the B777 command endorsement added to my Oz licence on the basis of my trg here. It's covered in the regs and is not a big deal.

whogivesa????
27th Feb 2007, 12:50
NJS operated an RJ70 in the late 90s.

Soup Dragon
27th Feb 2007, 16:02
Similar to above, I've had both B747 & A320 command endorsements added to CASA licence on the strength of overseas licence entries and logbook. Presented both at local CASA office, copies taken, wallet lightened. Whole process takes about 15 mins.

LuckyQ
1st Mar 2007, 08:21
Thank you so much to everyone for replying.

He did manage to get a reasonable response out of CASA. With the correct paper work submitted it doesn't seem like to be too much of issue.

Cheers all ! :ok:

Duck Pilot
20th Mar 2014, 00:25
Has anyone had any problems going via the process below if the documentation is in order together with the correct payment being made on application?

"If the endorsement is placed on a foreign licence (ICAO), then present CASA an application (Form 209 on CASA website), a copy of the licence and logbook to verify the training. CASA will then verify the licence and rating with the country authority concerned. Cost $130"

Any idea how long the process takes if the verification from the foreign regulator is provided to CASA promptly?