PDA

View Full Version : AVGAS prices - Scotland..ish - 26Feb07

PH-UKU
26th Feb 2007, 10:27
For anyone that is interested here is a current (26 Feb) list of Avgas prices north of Newcastle. Perfect for planning that wee west coast jolly as the good weather rolls in :) I will attempt to keep this updated and expanded during the summer months.

Feel free to PM me up to date prices where you live and I'll append them accordingly. I could edit it into one sticky .... if the moderator thought that was a good idea ? ;)

These figures are rather illuminating don't you think?
Wick £1.35+VAT :eek: :=
Islay £1.33+VAT
Dundee £1.20+VAT
Glasgow £1.18+VAT (only available for Flying Club ac at GFC)
Fife £1.17+VAT
Oban £1.16+VAT (bring Jammy Dodgers)
Prestwick £1.13+VAT (at Prestwick Flight Centre)
Cumbernauld £1.10+VAT
Enniskillen £1.10+VAT (82p no VAT for cross border)
Eglinton £1.05+VAT
Carlisle £1.00+VAT
Inverness £0.99+VAT :ok:
Perth - not available for 2 weeks due new equipment being tested.
Donegal Euro1.20 (duty free) (drawback available) :D

I hesitate to add VAT as it only makes for depressing reading and leaving it out makes it all seem a touch more afforadable. Anway I'm sure you can all do the maths and just add a sixth. :E

PS In the spirit of MoneySavingExpertdotcom I'd be delighted to learn of cases where someone actually saves a shedload of money or is inspired to shop around by following advice from this list :)

Flybywyre
26th Feb 2007, 11:08
These figures are rather illuminating don't you think?

Yes they are. But they would be even more illuminating if you could change them to the price that we actually pay (inc.VAT) :ok:
Regards
FBW

Flybywyre
26th Feb 2007, 11:28
So can I dumbo..........
But that is not the point :ugh: :ugh:

Flybywyre
26th Feb 2007, 11:46
I must be thicker than I thought
Agreed :ok:

LH2
26th Feb 2007, 12:01
Flybywire, perhaps it would be more helpful if you actually worked out the prices VAT included and reposted the list which PH has been considerate and thoughtful enough to compile and share with the rest of us?

It wouldn't harm either if you added other aerodromes to the list, for which you might be familiar with the fuel prices.

Lastly, consider that not all of us end up paying VAT.

scooter boy
26th Feb 2007, 12:09
Well done, PHUKU, great work and an excellent resource.

A regularly updated UK-wide database would be an immensely powerful asset in these days of ever steepening prices.

Any takers?

SB

robin
26th Feb 2007, 13:40
Does anyone have a current figure for Exeter?

neutron
26th Feb 2007, 13:54
Interesting.
A source in the industy tells me that he would expect the 'delivered to the airfield from the depot price' to be around 77-86p at present, inc duty but ex vat!
Any comments?

S-Works
26th Feb 2007, 14:07
Yep thats about right. Fenland is £1.00 per litre inc VAT to members and about £1.15 inc VAT to guests.
We are basically being robbed blind by airfields holding the price high because we have gotten used to paying for it and think it is the norm. How do you think so many afford to wave a landing fee with an uplift of avgas.

Even my own club are charging around £1.25 and I have complained that as members we should at least get a discount.

:*

niknak
26th Feb 2007, 15:44
I spoke to the suppliers at our place today, their "delivery from depot to site" price is around 95p plus VAT.
They sell more Avgas in a week than most "GA" airfields sell in a year, but still can't get it any cheaper and after they've actually accounted for the REAL costs of getting the fuel to each individual aeroplane, they make a vey small loss on each litre of Avgas sold - effectively profit from Jet A1 covers the cost of Avgas.
It's a situation they're prepared to live with because the supplier is an International business which recognises that GA is important to everyone's future.

If anyone is ripping anyone off, it's the Government, not the fuel vendor or the airfield.
Since the mighty representitives of the GA community are either unable or unwilling to do any effective lobbying in the right direction, it looks like you are all stuck with it.

S-Works
26th Feb 2007, 16:35
So explain Fenlands price? The club does not sell at a loss.

neutron
26th Feb 2007, 17:13
Just to clarify....The prices I was quoting were for delivery from the off-airfield fuel distributor to the re-seller at the airfield, so...somebody's getting their leg lifted...and judging by one of the multi-national fuel company's hospitality bashes for their aviation fuel re-sellers - (private function at a rugby international anybody?) - there's still some profit in there somewhere!

Zulu Alpha
26th Feb 2007, 19:07
Prices vary a lot depending on whether you buy 2000, 5000,10,000 or 20,000 Litres.

When I last enquired there was about 15p before VAT difference between the 2000 litre price and the 20,000 litre price.

PH-UKU
2nd Mar 2007, 09:29
General offer - send me your current AVGAS price and I'll keep this list at the top up to date. :ok:

Three Yellows
5th Mar 2007, 04:28
PH-UKU - great idea. As someone has suggested, we are being robbed blind by some airfields. They are always very quick to put the prices up/ add a fuel surcharge to lessons etc, they don't seem to be so quick to act when oil prices drop.

As many people are now flying diesel aircraft, would it be possible to include the price of Jet A1 too please?

ChampChump
5th Mar 2007, 07:57
I may be playing devil's advocate here, but surely the smaller airfields owned by people rather than corporations have the right to make a bit of a profit somewhere? We opt to enjoy an expensive form of transport and I for one will not argue about the cost of fuel when I get the pleasure of flying into somewhere friendly, which to me equates to the above (usually). I don't fly into the others generally because there's little reason to do so; I appreciate there may be other issues for some in the pprune orchard.

I have seen lots of moaning and whinging about landing fees and now, again, fuel prices from those who seem to be the same people who fly expensive aircraft, operating and often advocating very expensive equipment therein, four-figure headsets and the like. You pays your money, you takes your choice, but I'd rather pay a pound or so more for a tankful if it means the airfield is still there in the next month, year or decade. There are many things we should be very concerned about; this isn't top of my list.

My vehicle's 14 years old, my house is tatty and now I'm having to spend some money on it I convert the cost into flying hours and wince. Not the other way around....:)

Kiltie
7th Jul 2007, 09:51
Guys if you all make the effort to edit your home airfield's price on this website (easily edited online) it provides a useful reference.............

http://www.thehangar.co.uk/fuel/fuel.shtml