PDA

View Full Version : What to do now

Jnr380
25th Feb 2007, 23:37
Hey guys i posted before about what im planning to do after my CPL ( i got chewed for it by several members) which will be done at the end of march but now im not too sure :ugh: .

I was planning to do my MECIR but i also heard that i should get my Instructor rating, do my MECIR while in the industry to get a tax break. I just dont know what to do.

I dont mind moving around OZ its no problem for me, but just need some guidance as in what to do.

Thanks in advance

JNR

aero979
25th Feb 2007, 23:48
mate with the shortage of instructors in the country at the moment, I would definately recommend the instructor rating. You will have a much better chance of finding work, and building those valuable hours. Once into it, a MECIR is a must, but you may find you will save some more by doing it at your place of employment.

Hope this helps.

das Uber Soldat
26th Feb 2007, 02:24
doing your MECIR after you get employment will definantly be cheaper. The only downside is that you become firmly priority #2 at the company and may not get it finished for a while. For that reason I did it first before getting the job, and allowed me to do it quickly, keeping my standard up.

aero979
26th Feb 2007, 03:21
I do not beleive there is a rush to obtain an MECIR at that stage of your flying, you will find it difficult to find charter work with less than 500 hours total time anyway. I think if you were to complete it within the first year of your employment you would be ok. What you can do is get that IFR theory exam out of the way nice and early.

vh_ajm
26th Feb 2007, 04:51
Hey mate. Actually pretty much in the same boat at the moment, but have already made the decision to go with instructor rating for the following reasosns:

1. I am convinced there are job opportunities when I finish.

2. The job would be relevant to the rating I am getting. I.e. I would be frustrated getting MECIR only to not be able to find IFR work until 500 hours(some 200 hours away). Instead I could get my intructor rating and instruct straight away.

3. Possible discount on MECIR if I do it at a place I'm employed at plus tax write off if I understand correctly.

4. No need to relocate to the middle of the country. That would be cool, but not right now.

5. I can plan to keep IFR current so getting at least 1 renewel before applying to a charter place

Course everyone is different and it depends on who you listen to. I have listened to people here and 'real' people and made my decision. Find out the hard way I guess.

Good luck.

aircabbie
26th Feb 2007, 06:11
Mate,
Pack a suitcase and hitch a ride to KNX your still in with a good chance for a position this Year . Im my opinion there are plenty of Jobs in NW WA.

Hey if you wanna get to the Airlines , then it may well save you ten Grand , you might score a S/E charter job and progress to a few twin hours . which will lead to better twin jobs which may lead to the airlines .

I know a couple of Jobs going in Coral Bay and exmouth
Broome
Kalbarri
not to mention KNX and WYNDHAM .

Mate im a Low time dude and thats what i did and im breaking into the 500hr jobs ( still singles ) and had a ball . Some will agree and some won't but hey thats just my opinion .

Good luck

Swanie
26th Feb 2007, 06:33
i'm in the same boat as you mate, but instructing..... sure your usually garanteed a job where to do the rating, and yes you get hours up in a nice comfy environment, HOWEVER, how many of the hours you log do you actually fly?? it's mostly the student doing majority of the flying, and you're being taken for a ride (so to speak). I hear so much that the best flying memories one will have is flying up north, doing things that you'll never get away with later on.
I can't speak for anyone else but I want hands on experience, in progresively better, and better aircraft, not 500+ hrs in the right hand seat of a c152....

THE IRON MAIDEN
26th Feb 2007, 06:48
I've been employed now for a year (with about 700hrs) and I am only starting my CIR. There is no need to have it at the start, after a year of flying you will be a lot more comfortable in the cockpit. Being there everyday will do that. You'll be more on the ball, and more able to fly a twin. (saving time getting you up to scratch, at $400 or so an hour, saving you money)
Also the upkeep of a CIR, unless you are working and getting paid to make the approaches, you got to folk out a bit of cash to hire a baron or even a Seminole to keep yourself current. Then, the renewal will basically be like sitting the initial rating all over again.

Get the Inst rating, or go out and do scenic, charter whatever. Either way wait till you get the 500, 600 or so hours then do the CIR.
You’ll have money in the long run, and you can tuck that way for your 73 or 320 endo!

das Uber Soldat
26th Feb 2007, 06:54
the attitude that instructors just 'sit there and watch' grinds my gears a fair bit.

Swanie
26th Feb 2007, 09:31
i'm not saying ur just dead weight, just not hands on,
hell there wouldn't be and industry without instructors

Chimbu chuckles
26th Feb 2007, 09:41
Swanie and The Iron Maiden can you go back and edit your posts?. Really they're very difficult to read from a spelling and grammar point of view.

Attention to detail like this carries over into your flying, whether Instructing or IFR.

Just some friendly advice:ok:

What you're saying has great merit...but the 'how' of it made me want to reach through the screen and grab you both by the throat.:= ;)

Swanie
26th Feb 2007, 10:05
sorry chuckles, it's been a long day:ugh:

THE IRON MAIDEN
26th Feb 2007, 10:33
English was never my strong suit... But Im Fkn Great with numbers!

H369C
26th Feb 2007, 10:43
I think that you really need to ask yourself what you'll be able to offer any potential students.
Becoming an instructor just so that you can get a job is not the right reason to be an instructor.
In my opinion the best thing that you can do is go up north and learn how to fly, because at the moment your license is just that, a license to learn. You'll be a much better pilot and if you later decide that you want to be an instructor you'll at least have some real experience to pass on.
I've flown with 2500hr grade 1 multi IFR training approved pilots who didn't know how to set up for an ILS nor how to fly the approach in vmc let alone at night in heavy rain with cloud at the minima and minimum fuel. :bored:
Then I've flown with guys that have been up north or out west that have gotten out of their comfort zone that can fly rings around most, with less than 1500hrs.

good luck.:ok:

Clown Act
26th Feb 2007, 11:47
Chuck, can you go back and edit all your posts and also everything you've ever said to anyone ever (you know ace ventura style - where he goes backwards in pet detective?)?

Really, they're very painful to read and you're nauseous listen to.

Attention to detail like this carries over into your flying, whether flying crapbox bonanzas or twin otters up in PNG.

Just some friendly advice :ok:

What you're saying has no real merit...and the 'how' of it made me want to reach through the screen and grab you by the throat.:= ;)

remoak
26th Feb 2007, 11:57
Oh-oh... dissing PNG... you will have half the population of D & G looking for you...

Everybody knows that you aren't a real pilot unless you have spent half your life rat-arsed in some tropical sleazehole, flying mechanically-challenged heaps of crap into so-called strips, in an environment where the words "rule" and "regulation" are obscenities.

Bloody good fun though (allegedly) :}:}:}

touchncloth
26th Feb 2007, 12:00
Attention to detail like this carries over into your flying, whether Instructing or IFR.

Chucky boy, most of us get on here after a couple of reds and a T-bone on the BBQ. My attention to detail signed off when I finished my last sector in a blue/gold pinstripe Bonanza :E

Lighten up big boy ;)

Chimbu chuckles
26th Feb 2007, 12:55
Hey my post was light hearted and the recipients seem to have taken it well.

I never get worked up with the odd trnaspositoin of letters:D but there original posts were bordering on illegible...now having seen how well they can write....:D

If you don't agree with what I have to say that's fine...just don't deny me my right to say it...as I don't deny you your right to object:ok:

touchncloth I hope you were gentle with said Bonanza:E

touchncloth
26th Feb 2007, 23:25
touchncloth I hope you were gentle with said Bonanza:E

Was a sweet little machine:ok:

Jnr380
5th Mar 2007, 05:27
Hey guys

Thank you so much for your replies its really appreciated!!

I have decided to do my instructor rating and do my MECIR through employment, just a little further help if that is okay..............

Where to do my Instructor rating.... Firstly ive been doing my CPL at MB but the transit to & fro is a 2 hour round trip so i wanna do it closer to home. (North West melbourne) Nothing wrong with the flying school they have been very good to me!

I was told either go EN, Melton or Wallan. As being instructor is it worth training in a CTA enviroment or should i head out to these areas and get it? and any recommendations to which Flying school?

Thank you again guys i really appreciate it

Chadzat
6th Mar 2007, 02:18
Not being an instructor myself (and having no intention of becoming one) a lot of my mates are doing an Instructor rating with the school/college they are wanting to get employment with. It works for both parties then. You know that if you perform well during your training then you might get a job at the end of it- and for them, because they know your personality and skills by the end of the rating, so if you are any good they will take you on over a newbie they have never met before.

If I were you I'd research a bit at where you would want to work and see if they can do the rating for you. Plenty of positions out there though mate, Parafield and Jandakot are crying out for them.

aircabbie
6th Mar 2007, 04:23
give Basair a go(not) , though i think its BYO ACFT these days!!!!!!:oh:

Jnr380
6th Mar 2007, 07:38
Chad,

Thanks for the advice mate, the problem is i live in melbourne so instructors here get paid per student per hour, which kinda sucks a***. and i dont need that @ the moment.

My plan was do it in melb and head out west or north for a full time employment.