PDA

View Full Version : ASA to remove ATC Managers at ADL & CNS

cogwheel
25th Feb 2007, 12:18
I understand that ASA have abolished the positions of ATC Manager at Adelaide and Cairns from the 1st March. It is also my understanding that there is no cost savings in this move.

What I do know however is that the people in these positions do many things other than just manage their base of controllers etc. This includes liaison with industry groups etc.

Now from what I hear, this position will be taken on by controller managers in Brisbane and Melbourne. Can this job be done just as well by remote control and wont’ it cost more with the travel requirements?

As one in the industry, I am always concerned when key personal are removed from the system as the victim of what seems to be a never ending (and expensive?) restructure.

Some comment from our brothers in the ATC world would be nice….. :confused:

SM4 Pirate
25th Feb 2007, 21:14
From my reading of the restructure there are now 11 Level 3 managers in ATC. Reporting to the ATC General Manager who reports to the CEO.

There are nine level 3s to be announced today (we all ready know about 2 of the eleven). Some were spectulating as early as Friday for the other nine (leaky boat that Alan Woods Building:} ).

This then means that we need somewhere between 70 and 105 level 4 Managers. The current AD, CS etc. onsites are level 4. They will be replaced in title; but not in 'position' if that makes sense...

So instead of having 1 boss in AD and CS etc; there will be somewhere between 4 and 6 on site at the same level (someone will probably get the bosses cap); but no level 5's (ATC supervisors) as the level 4s will do that too.

What will the effect be on industry; probably seamless; until there is a fault identified with who does what across the level 4 divide; or maybe the level 3s get involved on site.

Grog Frog
26th Feb 2007, 00:02
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
SM4:confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yes Minister

flightfocus
26th Feb 2007, 01:35
So wait a minute - if who is on first then whose on second :uhoh: :sad:

Is it true that ASA is going to be renamed to the Ministry for Silly Restructures, Departmental Names and Knee Jerk Reactions.

I think they will call it the MSRDNKJR for short..... :(

topdrop
26th Feb 2007, 11:20
SM4
The current Cairns ATC Manager is level 3, as of about a year ago. Beneath him are 4 supervisors (TCU) and working towards 4 in the TWR.
The incumbent used to be a level 4 with a level 3 boss in Brissy.
The latest restructure will be Level 3 Manager in Brisbane, with responsibility for some enroute positions as well as Cairns. There will be 6 Level 4 managers - 3 in TCU, 3 in TWR. The Checkies will remain as supervisors - 1 TCU and 1 TWR.

Shitsu_Tonka
26th Feb 2007, 22:41
Don't forget we are due for a new CEO soon.

Perhaps he will want to 'take a fresh new look' at the whole organisation.

OzExpat
27th Feb 2007, 11:04
This sounds like a cost-cutting exercise along the same lines as Lo-Co operators...:eek:

Chief galah
28th Feb 2007, 07:59
Suddenly, today the
"ATC restructure",
became
"ATC reform"
I feel a bonus coming on for the organ grinders.
CG

mirage3
28th Feb 2007, 21:12
Folks, it is only just beginning. The Boys Club at the top within ASA has decided that the current emcumbent Line Managers have been doing their tasks so well that they ALL need to be replaced. As we know, top level managers are all enormously self-opinionated so in their wisdom they have decided that ONE manager will manage all Towers apart from the major capitals. This is ALL non-capital Towers within Australia. The really funny part about this is that the recently appointed manager of these towers has NEVER worked in a Control Tower and has NEVER had an ATC Tower Control Licence. That Credibility Factor should go over well when he is attempting to convince the industry that he really does know best.

bob55
1st Mar 2007, 15:29
With the recent paycut for RAAF ATCs, (http://www.dfrt.gov.au/Statements/Statements%202006/Matter%209%20of%202006%20Statement%208%20February%202007.htm (http://www.dfrt.gov.au/Statements/Statements%202006/Matter%209%20of%202006%20Statement%208%20February%202007.htm )) one can only assume there will be a lot more restructuring going on with both organisations - there is sure to be a massive exodus as a result, which will probably end up with AsA controlling Darwin.