PDA

View Full Version : Jump pilot info?

Romeo81
25th Feb 2007, 10:28
Hi,
Can anyone help me with info regarding minimum hours or requirements for working as a jump pilot on a PPL?
I have heard mixed reports, some saying you can do it with a bare PPL , and others quoting 150 or 200 hrs minimum. If you have any info or some good links to have a squiz at, it would be muchly appreciated.

UnderneathTheRadar
25th Feb 2007, 10:56
Romeo (oh where for art....)
Key link is www.apf.asn.au which is the Australian Parachute Federation which lists pilot minimums.
However I have found that the APF listed minimums don't necessarily match those of your local drop zone and ultimately, as it is the DZs insurance, the DZ requirements win.
In general, they're looking for a set number of hours on the jump plane type (usually 10 in a complex cessna if the DZ flys 206s for example) but in practice I've seen that as long as the CP signs you off then all is fine.
Of course attitude and presentation are key too (not to mention how short of pilots they are)....
UTR

Tiger 77
25th Feb 2007, 12:28
For a PPL, minimum is 200hrs total which includes at least 100 hrs in command. There is also a requirement to have 10 hrs command (or icus) on type. If operating cessna singles, this 10 hrs on type can be on a more complex type of cessna single (eg. 10hrs on C206 covers C152, 172, 182, etc...)

Plenty of info available in the "Jump Pilots Guide" from the APF - link is http://www.apf.asn.au/Documents/Publications/jump_pilot_2005.pdf

Cheers,
Tiger.